Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Odds (stunned)

iMeast

This game is a toss-up? I would have thought the skins would be +7

Really with the way the defense played against the Giants and how good the Saints look offensively I thought the Redskins would definitely be underdogs. Not to mention the Skins can't seem to move the ball. :saintsuck

HTTR

It looks like we're +1 at home - which is NOT favored. Home-field advantave is automatically +3, isn't it?

Err, or -1 and -3...I always forget. :ols:

I have no idea I just noticed that the Redskins were not underdogs on the odds page of Yahoo Sports. I thought it was crazy either way. :saintsuck

HTTR

Very interesting...the funny thing is im going to Vegas on Friday for a B.P. and im intrigued by this line being what it is.

I guess they are valuing the fact we got beat by the SB Champs on the road? Or perhaps they are saying the Saints dont do well outside of their dome?

Im shocked the line is so close to a Pick'em.

Listen people. The old adage of Vegas setting the line to get equal action on both sides is antiquated. What Vegas is trying to do here is get 70% of the action on the Saints and cash in. Why it will work:

Drew Brees lit up Tampa for a win.

Washington is being trounced on by the Media for being horrible.

An uneducated bettor would consider betting New Orleans +1 'a lock'. That's what vegas wants.

What is failed to be mentioned here is that we were playing against the Super Bowl champs, in a very hostile environment, primetime, in the toughest division in football. After a rough start, the Skins made the necessary defensive adjustments to hold the Giants to under 100yds in the 2nd half. This is not taken into consideration by degenerate gambler in LA.

The Skins are coming home with a chip on their shoulder too. I know there's no such thing as a must win in September, but the Skins will play like it is. Watch as >65% of the action is on the Saints, and the subsequent payday for Vegas as the Skins win this one convincingly.

Can you explain what the numbers mean to those of us who don't gamble? (Sorry)

The Redskins are favored by one point. Which, in a sense, means they're an underdog, because it's typically believed that being the home team is worth about 3 points. So on a neutral field, presumably the Saints would be favored by 2 points.

The O/U (over-under) represents the total number of points scored by BOTH teams. A gambler could select the 'over' if they think MORE points will be scored than the over-under, or 'under' if they think FEWER points will be scored. So if the over-under is 42 and a half, and I believe that the Saints and Skins will combine for 50 total points, then I would take the 'over.

Now, to address a commonly held misconception about the point spread. If a team is favored by, say, 4 points...that doesn't necessarily mean that Vegas thinks that team will win by 4. The goal when establishing the line (or point spread) is to have a roughly equal number of gamblers betting on either side of the line. Vegas is not a sports prediction service. Their business is not to predict who will win and by how many points. They want to create action (betting) around a game, and the best way to do that is to establish a line, or spread, that will encourage betting on both sides of the line.

EDIT: I just read NattyLight's post above. He claims the adage about getting action on both sides of the line is antiquated. Maybe he knows something I don't, but this has definitely been the case at least historically.

I'm a bit dissapointed I was hoping the line would be around -3 for the Saints so I could bet the skins money line. I'm going to be in Vegas this weekend and I havent seen too many matchup that I like this week. I guess I'll just have to win all my money on Sat when USC dominates Ohio State.

Not surprising. Our defense should match up well with the NO playmakers. Springs should be able to contain the big tall Colston, and Rogers and smoot match up well with Patten and Meatchem. Fletcher and Laron will be all over Bush and Washington and McCintosh will be on Shockey. The over/under definitely depends on the ability of our offense to score. Despite being able to match up well Brees and Patton are too good to held under 20 points.

The Siants are favored by 1 and the OverUnder is 43.

This makes the Redskins a home underdog in their home opener.

The Saints were really hyped up in the off-season. Some claim they are superbowl material. We will see.

The Saints have Reggie Bush and the Redskins can't stop the run.

The Saints are coming off their home opener where they beat a division rival (the Bucs).

The motivation in this game seems to be on the Redskins.

However, I cannot pick the Redskins. Everytime I do, they lose.

Saints 3

Redskins 0

Give me the Saints -1 and the Under.

It's showing an even line on espn. It doesn't surprise me that the line is even. The Saints have trouble stopping the run, and the skins excel at running the ball. What's also considered in the lines is the last meeting, where the skins won 16-10 in NO, the year the Saints went to the NFC championship.

Im going to be at Mandalay Bay this weekend out in Vegas so im going to have to get some action on this game. I actually like the over for this game.

I'd think the Saints would win but I do agree with everything NattyLight said about the game and it justifies the line being nearly a pickem.

My friend is going to bet on the Saints and root for the Skins thus guaranteeing a happy outcome one way or the other. Its an interesting way to deal with it considering the line is so low. Ive seen the line anywhere from the Saints favored by 2 ............and the Skins favored by 1.....its probably going to be a pickem around gametime.

Listen people. The old adage of Vegas setting the line to get equal action on both sides is antiquated. What Vegas is trying to do here is get 70% of the action on the Saints and cash in. Why it will work:

Drew Brees lit up Tampa for a win.

Washington is being trounced on by the Media for being horrible.

An uneducated bettor would consider betting New Orleans +1 'a lock'. That's what vegas wants.

What is failed to be mentioned here is that we were playing against the Super Bowl champs, in a very hostile environment, primetime, in the toughest division in football. After a rough start, the Skins made the necessary defensive adjustments to hold the Giants to under 100yds in the 2nd half. This is not taken into consideration by degenerate gambler in LA.

The Skins are coming home with a chip on their shoulder too. I know there's no such thing as a must win in September, but the Skins will play like it is. Watch as >65% of the action is on the Saints, and the subsequent payday for Vegas as the Skins win this one convincingly.

I couldn't have said it better myself...dead on analogy...watch this line closely...if it moves in favor of the Redskins---meaning all the money is going to NO--which I think will happen---unload on our boys! The public loses 75% of the time.......:cheers:

Saints 31

Redskins 21

Give me the Saints -2 and the Over.

Reggie Bush is not nearly as good as you are making him out to be. If the Redskins were playing the Chargers and LT then I would be worried, but Bush hasn't really proven himself. Nothing but hype. :saintsuck

HTTR

Archived