Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people realize Joe Gibbs teams never won in NY

JoeGibbsRypenGClark91

The point of this thread is that first of all, Coach Gibbs' achillies heel was always playing in the Meadowlands. I really believe that the fans combined with the way that they open the doors in the end zone to let the winds swirl (or close them when the home team has the ball) makes Giants Stadium one of the best homefield advantages in the NFL.

The other issue is the DC media. I think that Kevin Sheehan and Andy Pollin are far too critical. After the three preseason victories, Andy's attitude on the postgame show was "don't get too excited, it's preseason and it means nothing." After the two losses (and the Giants loss), his attitude was "the Redskins have glaring issues." Where's the truth? Probably somewhere in between. If the Redskins win on Sunday (which I think they will), he'll probably say that it was only one win. Well, the Giants game was only one loss, but yet we're supposed to accept that the season's over. I'm not necessarily saying that we need kool-aid drinkers doing the shows, but the guys that they have are critical when they loose and "less-than complimentary" when they win.

The point of this thread is that first of all, Coach Gibbs' achillies heel was always playing in the Meadowlands. I really believe that the fans combined with the way that they open the doors in the end zone to let the winds swirl (or close them when the home team has the ball) makes Giants Stadium one of the best homefield advantages in the NFL.

Sure, but we beat the Giants decisively up there last year, and what we did last year is a lot more relevant than what we did (or didn't do) 20 years ago. I think most people could have stomached a loss up there last Thursday night if we had looked prepared and our performance had inspired some degree of confidence.

But if we hit on all cylinders against the Saints on Sunday, a lot of people will start coming down from the ledge. We just need to show that we're a competitive football team, and we need to start this weekend.

Guy - I'm doing you a favor.

Copy www.redskinsdb.com and use it. It will aviod future failures like this.

For the record - Gibbs was 8-10 overall at Giants stadium and 7-10 against the Giants.

More important, EVERY super bowl team he had won in Giants stadium the year they won.

(Did find it intresting that he only played the Jets in NY once)

Those losses that Gibbs had were epic games where we were facing Parcells, LT, Phil Simms, and their RB Morris.

Here, we faced a Giants team that didn't have Michael Strahan, that had just lost Osi U., and that most importantly put up only 16 points at home. The fact that, despite a truly mediocre Giants performance, we really never were in this game (stark contrast with Gibbs' games vs. Giants, by the way, since we were almost ALWAYS in those games till the very end) is an indicator of just how shockingly bad we were.

This thread has to the the most stupid, not to mention blatantly factually incorrect, defence of last weeks awful display I've yet witnessed. Does the original poster know anything about the Gibbs years? :D

Last week we were beyond poor. It wasn't just about being beaten. I wasn't so surprised by how poor we were (Zorn is in the process of trying to install a new philosophy, I can cut him some slack there), but I was really surrpised by what seemed to be our lack of preparation and the lack of situational awareness by the coaching staff and the offense. (what the hell was going on in our last two drives?) I'd have thought Zorn's experience as an NFL calibre qb, would have have ensured we weren't so lacking there.

I don't expect miracles; I don't even expect us to win against the Saints, but at the very least we have to look more prepared, execute better and the play calling needs to be more appropriate to the situation.

Archived