Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Redskins Man Cave - finally complete

USS Redskins

That's weird..the home depot i went to..had a chart from glidden...that showed with that color burgandy, to use primer tinted with 4 oz black. I guess I am a sucker..lol Oh well, I had to paint over a green wall, so probably just as well that I primed it. Thanks for the luck though...how many gallons did you have to use for your 5 coats?

4 1/2 Gallons - dont know the square footage off hand. Its a good size basement. I started with 2 gallons, bought 2 more and had to go back for a 5th gallon but only used half. The guy at the paint counter knew me by name - told him I would bring him a picture when I was done.

I really gave an extra thick coat to the 4th coat hoping it would be the last... I almost put double the paint on, but it didnt matter..... ugh, my hand still hurts from using that roller so much.

I was painting over a white wall, so maybe you will get lucky!

• 1 month later...
No primer - the guy at the home depot counter said it wouldnt make any difference. It would be 5 coats with or without, so I started with the burg and just went ahead.

I had painted with the color before and same thing - its either 1 coat of a red primer and 4 coats of burg or just 5 coats of burgundy.

I even read other threads from other Skins fans that they did 1 coat of primer and 5 coats of burg. Its a nutty color and needs to be layered on to get to the Skins shade.

I was getting fed up with the whole thing after the 3rd coat but somehow found the patience to finish... good luck with your room!

Hey USS,

When you purchased the paint did the color seem a little purple/magenta-ish? I had a couple gallons mixed at Home Depot and they said that's how the color comes out. It didn't look right to me but they said this is usually the case and it blends in when painted on the wall.

Did this happen to you too?

Thanks, guys! I would love to get that sofa at some point...... Maybe the next round of stimulus checks.

I didnt have it ready for the opener but I already have the booze and beer ready for Week 2. Kick the Saints tails!

That room kicks arse USS!!

I am waiting for Xmas to get our house painted and the basement will be in redskisn colors. Good job!! Anyway I can get some of the pics to use as a reference?

I have finally completed my Redskins Man Cave... the colors are from Home Depot. I would warn anyone attempting this that it is a 5 coat job to get the burgundy....

I went with the Burgundy Jersey feel for for the colors - with the gold and white stripe....thanks to others for their inspiration!

Very nice job, I'm jealous. :applause:

I wanted to make my 3 year old sons room a Redskin room with those Home Depot paints, but my wife wants to hold off until he is older. :doh:

God I love those colors. When I get a house later on, I am definitely having that exact paint colors and design and a humungous HD TV, and a burgundy leather sectional recliners cup holders and all. some authentic helmets and framed jerseys.

Hey USS,

When you purchased the paint did the color seem a little purple/magenta-ish? I had a couple gallons mixed at Home Depot and they said that's how the color comes out. It didn't look right to me but they said this is usually the case and it blends in when painted on the wall.

Did this happen to you too?

Hey Bro - It is such a weird color - it does look purple when you bring it home and slap it on the wall. The first 3 coats are very disheartening because you arent even close to burgundy but by the 5th it will start to show and then you have to let it dry. Sometimes when I look close I can see some purplish tints but 5 coats about did me in.

Good luck!

That room kicks arse USS!!

I am waiting for Xmas to get our house painted and the basement will be in redskisn colors. Good job!! Anyway I can get some of the pics to use as a reference?

Hey man -thanks! Good luck with your room.. I am really loving mine. It especially helps that the Skins are having a good season so far... makes it even more worth my while!

If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I would be glad to e-mail some of the pics to you, no problem!

Very nice job, I'm jealous. :applause:

I wanted to make my 3 year old sons room a Redskin room with those Home Depot paints, but my wife wants to hold off until he is older. :doh:

thanks Hog! Keep on the wife... you will be rasing your son right!

Luckily, my wife was really supportive of this - mainly to get me out of the living rooms on gameday. I tend to get very, um, animated during games and more than a few times I scared the kids - and more than a few times, they laughed their butts off, too.

thanks Hog! Keep on the wife... you will be rasing your son right!

Luckily, my wife was really supportive of this - mainly to get me out of the living rooms on gameday. I tend to get very, um, animated during games and more than a few times I scared the kids - and more than a few times, they laughed their butts off, too.

Yeah most of his room is Redskin stuff, but for some reason she thought painting the walls Burgundy and Gold was going too far. :doh: She'll come around...hopefully.

• 2 years later...

You need to start on the "Away" room. That room is clearly for "Home" games. You need to have a "White Jersey Room" Tell one of the kids to bunk up or get into college already.

(Very nice room. Clearly, a lot of love and a lot of work went into that.)

Archived