Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tired of the shortage on 3rd downs and the 3rd & 1 run up the middle

NVskinsfan

I for one do not want to see another pass thrown on 3rd down well short of the first down marker.... Its a give up play and the Skins need to play with a purpose...not fold on 3rd downs!

3rd and 7..leads to a 3-4 yeard dump off...:doh:

3rd and 1..leads to a stuffed run up the middle with no push...:doh:

Skins need to have the guts to move the chains

Additionally, please throw the 3rd and 4th and 1 runs up the middle....they have not worked in the preseason, nor week 1.....use CP speed to the outside! :D

Go Skins! :helmet:

this is a BS post. When it works, nobody has a problem with it. Case and point - the TD in the first half was on a short pass before the goal line that relied on Moss making the play, which he did. On each of the third down plays that missed the first down, all we were was a defensive mistake from a big play. Luckily, they made sure tackles and did a good job of covering the guys deep.

Would you rather JC have forced something deep and thrown a pic? Would that have made you feel good because we "tried" as some have called it? Whats the difference between "trying" on a deep ball and "trying" on a play where we try to let our athletes make plays in the open field? Stop complaining about things not going the way YOU want them to, because had we gone for the deep balls and missed we'd have guys on the other side saying we should have "taken what the defense gave us and made plays in the open field".

I for one do not want to see another pass thrown on 3rd down well short of the first down marker.... Its a give up play and the Skins need to play with a purpose...not fold on 3rd downs!

3rd and 7..leads to a 3-4 yeard dump off...:doh:

3rd and 1..leads to a stuffed run up the middle with no push...:doh:

Skins need to have the guts to move the chains

Additionally, please throw the 3rd and 4th and 1 runs up the middle....they have not worked in the preseason, nor week 1.....use CP speed to the outside! :D

Go Skins! :helmet:

I agree with you, but be honest, would you tolerate an INT in those situations being that they are trying to move the ball? I would, down field that is. I was sick watching us come up one yard short on those plays. I'd take an INT "DOWN FIELD" and trust our "D" to play hard and get the ball back rather than those plays. An INT at that point is just as good as a punt, Down Field. On 3rd down, you have to go beyond the markers or at least have a really good plan on getting the 1st down. Any play short is either a broken play or just not smart. At least my opinion...

I agree with you, but be honest, would you tolerate an INT in those situations being that they are trying to move the ball? I would, down field that is. I was sick watching us come up one yard short on those plays. I'd take an INT "DOWN FIELD" and trust our "D" to play hard and get the ball back rather than those plays. An INT at that point is just as good as a punt, Down Field. On 3rd down, you have to go beyond the markers or at least have a really good plan on getting the 1st down. Any play short is either a broken play or just not smart. At least my opinion...

Even if I take you at your word on this (which is subject to change if Campbell starts to look like Grossman), I doubt that your strategy would hold up against the other extremes who would just have a different reason to call for Jason Campbell's head. The point of the play is to make the first down and thats what we were going for.

As much as you say that a pick is the same as a punt, we could also just get a batt down which is much more likely - and still doesn't result in a first down. On the aforementioned plays, the Giants were giving us the underneath stuff and protecting themselves from anything deep. So, it was highly unlikely that we'd get anything with a deep ball, while they were leaving guys open underneath. And just like the OP stated, each time we came close to getting the first down, and I'm sure that if we can get more of the WCO going, then we may be able to really take advantage of when they decide to give us the underneath routes.

But I'm sure that Redskins fans will still be mad, even if we get the first down through YAC simply because we're supposed to go beyond the markers....

:doh:

If we ran a play action on 3rd and short I bet we would get that 9 times out of 10. People are so accustomed to seeing a run that it would throw of opposing defenses

we need to mix it up more. this was the same problem we had with gibbs, everyone knew what was coming. if you watch the giants game they were in shotgun most of the time on 3rd and short-med.

we need to mix it up more. this was the same problem we had with gibbs, everyone knew what was coming. if you watch the giants game they were in shotgun most of the time on 3rd and short-med.

Ray I agree with you on this a mix is a must. Also we need to be able to Improvise and play with some passion. Passion is whats lacking from this team, I don't like be compared with the Rams and the Raiders..

Archived