Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins lift Weights?

HateYanksDukeCowboys

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I believe some of our guys worked out harder this off season than every in the past.

I also believe the extra 10 days of camp, the 2-a-days that Zorn put the guys through has put a toll on our guys.

The 10 days until the next game is a blessing.

The line was man handled, of that there is no doubt.

But asking if they lift weights is a silly question, in my opinion.

But, certainly not the silliest I have seen on this site.

• 1 year later...

I created this thread following our week one loss to the Giants a year ago. One could make the argument that the same theme continued into week one of this season, and again to last night.

Clearly, the thread was created out of sarcasm, and obviously, the Redskins DO lift weights. I've come to the conclusion that this is one of those idiosyncracies in sports, where certain teams just do not match up well at all with another team. We tend to play the Cowboys and Eagles relatively well, but the Giants, for whatever reason, spank our behinds all over the field.

Why do we look so darn weak when we play the Giants?

Honestly I think a lot of the line play has to do with snap count, and snap count anticipation.

Their QB and O-line are in total sync and they vary the snap count enough to always get the jump on our D-line. Whereas our QB telegraphs the snap count giving the D-line the jump. That speaks to coaching.

But, sure, physicallity, talent and strength are also a big part of it.

We were manhandled on both sides of the ball on the lines, I totally agree.

I think our secondary, especially Reed Doody needs to stop tackling high like he's some strong guy or somethin...gotta go low and cut big rb's down.

No alot of people on this team think their Sean Taylor and they have been influeced by him hence Laron Landry, and Reed Doughty going for some big hits. I love Sean Taylor and miss him, but most of these guy have to come to the conclusion sooner or later they arnt Sean Taylor.

It's funny. I created this thread after last year's week one loss to the Giants. This is now version 4.0 where the same theme applies against the Giants (since the beginning of 2008).

Like I said, it's coaching: snap count and snap count anticipation. They obviously put a lot of time into it and it pays off big time against a team that telegraphs their snap count.

Like I said, it's coaching: snap count and snap count anticipation. They obviously put a lot of time into it and it pays off big time against a team that telegraphs their snap count.

Good point JLG. Do you think that Pierce still has knowledge, at least from a Giants on while on offense perspective, since the Defensive schemes of G. Williams and Blache are largely similar?

• 11 months later...

Haha people are getting just a liiiittle too touchy on this thread.

But anyway, I see what you're really asking OP, and here are my thoughts...

Yes, we got manhandled physically by the G-Men, especially up front. For one thing, the Giants are known around the league as being a more aggressive/strength type team (mainly on D, but when their OL is healthy they're a very sturdy group as well and their power run game can be great sometimes). Not only that, but they were going against a team (us) who has looked like one of the "weaker" teams in the league over the second half of this season. Why? I think there are four main reasons:

1) Most of our guys up front, on both sides of the ball, are either old or just plain bad. This is especially true of our interior lines, which is where the "strength" contest in any game is usually won or lost. We need either a stud NT (if we stick with the 3-4) or a new group of solid DT's (if we return to the 4-3), and a revamped interior OL, as well as better depth across both lines.

2) Low-quality personnel. AKA we have a lot of players that just aren't very good (see D-Hall's recent comments). There are many attributes that make up a "good" NFL player, but one of the primary ones is strength. This will take a couple of offseasons to rectify.

3) Poor tackling. This didn't seem to be a problem early in the season, but I've definitely noticed it lately. Remember that Brandon Jacobs TD run where he blew through two terrible tackles? Yeeaaa. Our LB's and DB's have been missing them all over the place lately. I don't if this is because of Haslett or because of #4...

4) Motivation. Let's face it, losing = loss of heart on the field. I'm sure most of this team was pretty amped heading into this season, after seeing the new Redskins regime run like a well-oiled machine compared to the clunkers of old (especially under Zorn). But as the season's worn on and we've continued to lose, more and more of the problems that simply could not be fixed in one offseason have been exposed, and players have lost heart. Guys like Orakpo, Fletcher, Banks, Landry, etc, have continued to give it their all, and I firmly believe that 99% of this team (everyone minus AH) still is buying into Shanahan and company, but a lot of guys just aren't playing with the heart they played with at the beginning of the season. This can only be changed by bringing in higher quality and character guys, beginning to win, and changing the culture.

Then the championships will pour in!!! (slight sarcasm).

I actually think in some ways we are much stronger this year, compared to say the last couple of years.

Look at how many guys from opposing teams we have knocked out. I will remind you that all the plays that knocked out an opposing teams player were well within the rules, and resulted in none of the slap happy fines that are going around the league this year. I attribute this to Shanny's conditioning program. The guys were stonger and tougher at the start of the year. Is there another question here, in that the guys are now burning out? Perhaps Shanny pushed the too hard, and they are out of gas by week 12. Could happen, especially when you have a weak roster like ours.

I actually think in some ways we are much stronger this year, compared to say the last couple of years.

Look at how many guys from opposing teams we have knocked out. I will remind you that all the plays that knocked out an opposing teams player were well within the rules, and resulted in none of the slap happy fines that are going around the league this year. I attribute this to Shanny's conditioning program. The guys were stonger and tougher at the start of the year. Is there another question here, in that the guys are now burning out? Perhaps Shanny pushed the too hard, and they are out of gas by week 12. Could happen, especially when you have a weak roster like ours.

I'll add to this: Especially when you have an OLD roster like ours.

Our lines are still pretty old, especially on defense.

---------- Post added December-6th-2010 at 08:17 PM ----------

did anyone else see rocky miss tackle after tackle. he looked very weak. i cant imagine keeping him on the team next year with the way he tackles. i would never expect an nfl lb to tackle that way. cb maybe but not a lb.

I'm with you. Very disappointing. I was at the game, and there were Giants fans laughing right from the beginning of the game, where on the first drive, Rocky missed two tackles two plays in a row on Brandon Jacobs, one leading to his first score, I believe.

Archived