Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whiskey drinkers

Tour of Duty

Maker's is decent but sometimes seems a bit too heavy to me. Redbreast 12 year old Irish Whiskey is great as a shot or on the rocks. That stuff is smoooooth.

230227742.jpg

I have a bottle of Scotch I haven't really gotten a chance to enjoy yet. The Balvenie 15yr old single malt (though its actually 18 years old). It was a birthday present. I've tried a little and its okay, I haven't really done scotch before so I need to acquire a bit of the taste.

As for other bourbons...Knob Creek is excellent. Woodford Reserve is a great bourbon too.

Well, there are lots of different types of whiskeys.

Does it start with a mash? For instance, Kentucky Whiskey is really bourbon. It starts with a corn mash, 51% corn and some rye and barley. The mash gets malted (soaked in water and heated), fermented with yeast and distilled. Then aged in Oak barrels. That's Kentucky Whiskey. If some of the mash was from a previous batch it's "sour mash"

Scotch whisky (without the e) is malted barley, and they stop the process by heating it over a peat fire. That's why scotch is somkey. Then the same thing...distilled and aged in casks that have been used for wines, etc. Depending on the cask they use, it gets a different flavor. Could've been a cask with Sherry (which would be kind of sweet) or Madeira (more floral) or whatever.

Then you get into single malts or blends, which are just like they sound. Single malts are a little more distinctive, so they have their own signature. Blends are harder to characterize.

I drink Macallan with a friend, but I'm not really a connoisseur. He has a bottle of 18 year, from a Sherry Oak cask, but I doubt I could tell the difference between good and bad scotch.

I remember the Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton had a tasting a long time ago. I think you can get some samplers if you really were into trying to find what you liked.

George Dickel....man up

George in the white label is smooth, Early Times is extremely smooth for the price, Jack, Makers, Elijah, are really good sipping, Jim B, Knob Creek are really good mixed, but a little harsh for straight sipping(for me). Not that many that are bad really.:D

Whiskey...Not Whisky.

Either way, enjoy. Not a big Scotch fan overall.

Also, Jack is not Whiskey.

Good Bourbon should be done: neat or on the rocks. NOT mixed.

Jack Daniels, my friend, is a brand of whiskey distilled in Tennessee. I've had many bottles of it in my hands over the years.:cheers:

Whiskey...Not Whisky.

Either way, enjoy. Not a big Scotch fan overall.

Also, Jack is not Whiskey.

Good Bourbon should be done: neat or on the rocks. NOT mixed.

Jack Daniels, my friend, is a brand of whiskey distilled in Tennessee. I've had many bottles of it in my hands over the years.:cheers:

Beat me to it. Jack Daniels is most certainly a whiskey.

All bourbons are whiskey - not all whiskeys are bourbon.

I am a Crown fan myself. Cask 16 is really good stuff, different than regular crown, good on the rocks. I'd really like to get a bottle of this for the house. The other 3 crowns are the basically the same, different quality. Crown and Coke is good, Crown and ginger. Special Reserve on the Rocks, maybe a splash of water. I had XR one time, it was so smooth i had to slow myself down because I needed to savor how much I spent on it.

I second Elijah Craig.

I have had a lot of bourbons....from expensive to cheap. I love Makers too, but if I had to choose btw the 2, Elijah would get my vote.

Of course Jack is good. Jim always does in a pinch.

Don't do Scotch...I've tried it a couple of times...not a big fan at all.

Crown is good, but I can drink that **** like water. My bro and I killed a handle of that on Christmas Eve a few years ago.

Archived