Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Theory: Why Billy McMullen Got Cut

Oldfan

What two things does Billy McMullen have in common with Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Santana Moss, and former Redskins Albert Connell and Stephen Alexander?

Answer: They all try to "basket catch" the football on crossing patterns and they all routinely drop passes on crossing patterns.

Basket Catch: With both hands underneath the ball, the ball is then cradled and secured against the chest. It's poor technique on crossing patterns. Even when caught, it's tough to tuck away the ball and maintain the stride for yards after catch.

Last season, while watching a Bengals game on the tube, I noticed T.J. Houshmanzada on the sideline demonstrating the proper technique to Chad Johnson after Chad dropped a perfectly thrown ball on a deep cross.

In this preseason, I watched Shawn Springs, playing the free safety, flub a certain interception by trying to basket catch the football as he crossed in front of a receiver in the endzone.

It's baffled me for a long time. How do receivers make it to the college and pro level and still have holes in their games that could be corrected by simple drills on techniques? Is the coaching that bad, or are these players brain dead, unable to learn what can be taught successfully to boys 10 - 12 years old?

In McMullen's case, it's a real shame. He's a fourth year pro with the size, speed and athleticism to make somebody's football team. I find it hard to believe that a receiver's coach can't clean up his techniques to make him a much better player.

How do receivers make it to the college and pro level and still have holes in their games that could be corrected by simple drills on techniques? Is the coaching that bad, or are these players brain dead, unable to learn what can be taught successfully to boys 10 - 12 years old?

They make it so far on talent alone with the player simply not willing or unable to change as what he's doing works for him at the time. Of course that doesn't play out so well at the pro level.

I'm not sure how much stuff is correctable by coaching. I can think of dozens and dozens of players in all sports who but for one flaw would have been a star. And some guys whose technique is a disaster and it doesn't seem to matter. I mean, if you were going to teach a

Randy Moss has a tendency to basket catch when he goes across the middle as well. New England has resolved this but never having go across the middle.

That was pointed out in the preseason games by the announcers that he was a body catcher. While he showed why he was drafted in the mid rounds, he also showed why he's been released by a couple teams as well.

I don't think that's the whole reason why he was released (it was a numbers game as well), but it is probably a big reason.

Jason

They make it so far on talent alone with the player simply not willing or unable to change as what he's doing works for him at the time. Of course that doesn't play out so well at the pro level.

Stubborness to the point of stupidy? Probably.

Yeah McMullen doesn't seem to have very good hands. I mentioned before that his height is negated if he can't stretch out and pull balls in with his hands.

But then again, another "body catcher" - who made a career making tough catches over the middle - was a guy named Gary Clark. And he had a pretty decent career. ;)

Sorry guys, I'm still stewing a little about us cutting McMullen. He dropped a "COUPLE" of easy passes, that's all. Even our starters drop passes from time to time. He also led us in receptions in the preseason. I for one, think he looked good. He should be a member of this team.

I'm not sure how much stuff is correctable by coaching. I can think of dozens and dozens of players in all sports who but for one flaw would have been a star. And some guys whose technique is a disaster and it doesn't seem to matter. I mean' date=' if you were going to teach a

Randy Moss has a tendency to basket catch when he goes across the middle as well. New England has resolved this but never having go across the middle.[/quote']

That's a costly solution.

This guy disagrees:

WEL219433.jpg

:D

But your point is well taken. Unfortunately for McMullen, he's not athletic or dynamic enough to make up for this fundamental flaw. That's what's got him cut from three teams and will probably keep him from being a long-term contributor on one team for most of his career. He'll bounce around and can certainly contribute, but he'll never be one of those go-to guys you have to have.

Alot of coaches just care about speed. It's sad to say, but hands is DEFFINITELY 2nd to speed and big play ability to alot of coaches. :(

What you say is true, but calling it "bad hands" is often misleading. Some receivers show excellent hands on some patterns, but not on others -- because of their techniques.

It's baffled me for a long time. How do receivers make it to the college and pro level and still have holes in their games that could be corrected by simple drills on techniques?

I was also very surprised that McMullen didn't make the team. And, I think that you are onto something. But, let me add that it wasn't just the basket catch it was also his lack of speed. The dude aint fast, yet he somehow still gets open.

McMullen was targeted alot in preseason. He was the go to guy. But, he still dropped easy passes, and had poor technique in many ways. Why was he the most popular target? Was it that the team really wanted to get a good look at the guy? Did they put him in the position to excel? Or were Toler, Mann, etc. just that much worse? Or is it simply because he was the only non-starter healthy?

Unlike some of the younger guys McMullen wasn't practice squad eligible. They had to make thier decision on this guy now. Perhaps he just wasn't responding to coaching?

But, poor catching, and slow wheels won't get you a job even on a team that needs WRs.

Disclosure: Despite my criticisms, lets be clear here....he's still way faster than I am!

He got cutt because we didn't have space for him. He is a good reciever we all saw that in the preseason but we also have 2 WR's that we spent draft pics on that we have already invested money in. I am not saying that he is better then Thomas or Kelly but if he didnt play in the preseason like Kelly he would have been cut anyways. The team had nothing invested in him so when we weigh out who should be cut, unfortunatly you have to cut Billy.

Sorry guys, I'm still stewing a little about us cutting McMullen. He dropped a "COUPLE" of easy passes, that's all. Even our starters drop passes from time to time. He also led us in receptions in the preseason. I for one, think he looked good. He should be a member of this team.

According to the Redskins Blog, Billy was dropping them in practices also. As LKB said, the playcaller's solution will probably be not to call his number on specific patterns. That works for a Randy Moss, but it doesn't leave enough on the table for a Billy McMullen.

I have a great answer to your theory.......Thomas and Kelly aren't as horrible as everyone is making them out to be. Right now 75% of this board think they will be the worst WRs ever drafted in the NFL without giving them a chance to develop.

Some draftnik-type fans have a lot ego invested in drafting for need, which the team didn't do this year. They seem to be hoping Thomas and Kelly fail. They're probably miffed that Davis seems to be doing well too.

What two things does Billy McMullen have in common with Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Santana Moss, and former Redskins Albert Connell and Stephen Alexander?

Answer: They all try to "basket catch" the football on crossing patterns and they all routinely drop passes on crossing patterns.

Basket Catch: With both hands underneath the ball, the ball is then cradled and secured against the chest. It's poor technique on crossing patterns. Even when caught, it's tough to tuck away the ball and maintain the stride for yards after catch.

Last season, while watching a Bengals game on the tube, I noticed T.J. Houshmanzada on the sideline demonstrating the proper technique to Chad Johnson after Chad dropped a perfectly thrown ball on a deep cross.

In this preseason, I watched Shawn Springs, playing the free safety, flub a certain interception by trying to basket catch the football as he crossed in front of a receiver in the endzone.

It's baffled me for a long time. How do receivers make it to the college and pro level and still have holes in their games that could be corrected by simple drills on techniques? Is the coaching that bad, or are these players brain dead, unable to learn what can be taught successfully to boys 10 - 12 years old?

In McMullen's case, it's a real shame. He's a fourth year pro with the size, speed and athleticism to make somebody's football team. I find it hard to believe that a receiver's coach can't clean up his techniques to make him a much better player.

They are over payed hype.

I for one, would not be surprised to see McMullen back on the team in a couple of weeks. However, this will give our rookies a chance to more than they would have if we had kept McMullen, forcing them to grow up quicker.

I believe our receivers are going to be very successful in this league, but in most cases it does take receivers a while to acclimate themselves to the speed of the NFL.

Archived