Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sarah Palin youtube video "What does the VP do?"

WVUforREDSKINS

I don't find it disturbing in the slightest. This was my response last time, and I see no reason to change it:

I don't see it. It's pretty obvious that she wasn't asking what the Constitutional duties of the Vice President are, but rather what her duties might be for that specific President, given that each President treats the Vice Presidency a little differently. Some Presidents allow a lot of authority, some send their VP to funerals and that's it.

It seems a reasonable question, and the Alaska angle is understandable given that at the time she was asked, she wasn't the nominee, but she was still governor of Alaska, so she needed to keep her constituents happy, especially since she was a long shot to be picked at the time.

That'll tell her what a President McCain will have her doing day to day?

I'm not exactly going out on a limb by stating their are commonalities in the day to day for every modern VP. Some are certainly more involved than others, but clearly there is a range and precedent. That would be a good place to start.

Unless you think her sole duty is to appeal to vagina-Americans.

I'm not exactly going out on a limb by stating their are commonalities in the day to day for every modern VP. Some are certainly more involved than others, but clearly there is a range and precedent. That would be a good place to start.

It's a good place to start if you take her statement ridiculously literally, yes.

The question wasn't "what are his official duties" the question is "what does he do every day?"

VP's schedule is covered by FOIA. Palin should look that up, among other things.

Exactly. Thats why she answered the way she did. "What are his official duties?" has a concrete answer, but that wasnt the question. She asked what does he do every day. 30 posts in, nobody has bothered to answer that little question. Why dont you take a crack at it MJ? Please, tell us, SPECIFICALLY, what would the VP's job under McCain entail on a day to day basis?

Exactly. Thats why she answered the way she did. "What are his official duties?" has a concrete answer, but that wasnt the question. She asked what does he do every day. 30 posts in, nobody has bothered to answer that little question. Why dont you take a crack at it MJ? Please, tell us, SPECIFICALLY, what would the VP's job under McCain entail on a day to day basis?

VPs job is to facilitate things.

From what i know, the VP holds the tiebreaking vote in case of a Senate tie. Other than that, the Veep has no official duties.

Do people NOT know that the Vice Presidency is traditionally the least influential job in Washington?

No kidding.

They go to funerals if a head of state dies, and they're given a pet project much like a noisy child on a rainy day is placed in front of a coloring book or some legos.

And every single one of them is a breath away from being President.

By the by,, there is NO experience that can prepare you for being the POTUS except actually BEING the POTUS.

Is there any other job even close to it?

~Bang

VPs job is to facilitate things.

What things?

How?

It is very simple, she can't and won't have the same role as somebody like Lieberman would have. It isn't unreasonable for her to ask what her role is. One way you figure out what your role is to ask what you day to day duties will be.

OK you asked for it:

6:00 am: wake up and read the Washington Times, revel in your own greatness

6:30 am: Eat breakfast of scrambled eggs, white toast and a side of corned beef moose

7:00 am: Meet with the NRA about how to make AK-47's legal again.

11:00 am: Point shotgun at the kid who knocked up your daughter and force him to renew his marriage vowels. Make sure to mention VP's can get away with shooting people.

Lunch: Meet with lobbyists from Christian right

1:00 pm: Tell Republican congressman that you have pics of him being gay, and the only way you will keep them secret is for him to pass your earmarks for podunk Alaska.

1:30 pm: Telll Democratic congressman that you have pics of him cheating on his wife, and the only way you will keep them secret is for him to pass your earmarks for podunk Alaska.

1:45 pm: Leak pics of Democratic congressman to the Washington Times. Tell them to run the story after 2009 appropriations.

2:00 pm: Check on President McCain during his spongebath and make sure he's still alive. Resist his attempts to talk about the good ole days when lettuce cost 10 cents. If he gets started you will miss entire Sean Hannity show.

3:00 pm: Sean Hannity woohoo! Revel in own greatness some more.

4:00 pm: Photo op with some sick kid and whoever won the MLS championship

Dinner: Fund raiser for the Ted Kaszynski memorial fund.

evening: Appear on FOX news, just go with it, it's a puff piece.

What things?

How?

It is very simple, she can't and won't have the same role as somebody like Lieberman would have. It isn't unreasonable for her to ask what her role is. One way you figure out what your role is to ask what you day to day duties will be.

Something like this but maybe more policy-oriented, including interactions w/ Congress, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Chief_of_Staff

I would not give too much weight to that exchange because I think it was done in a joking manner when her candidacy for VP was a very remote possibility. It seems slightly inappropriate now because now she is nominated for the position, but then again she probably wouldn't say something like that now.

Archived