Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Mason just used?

Zarg

My only question is, we signed Mason UFA and he did everything that was asked of him. He had some good runs and excellent stats only for us to cut him. Why did we even bother signing him in the first place? Or is it because our FO realized there are greater needs in other positions than a RB, after signing Mason.

Takes a lot more than churning out yards to earn a spot on an NFL franchise.

I'm not knocking the guy because he sure can run, but if his pass blocking and Special Teams skills were better he would be on our team.

Bingo...Exactly why he was cut

I am going back a few years for this name Mike Oliphant! Who remembers that one?

Vaguely remember him playing but mostly remember him as representing the catalyst for the schism between Gibbs and Beathard on personel philosophy.

Beathard going with speed, youth, west coast stuff and Gibbs wanting veterans and smashmouth.

My only question is, we signed Mason UFA and he did everything that was asked of him. He had some good runs and excellent stats only for us to cut him. Why did we even bother signing him in the first place? Or is it because our FO realized there are greater needs in other positions than a RB, after signing Mason.

you just answered your own question. there is no reason to keep 4 backs on the team. not when we will probably need the roster space for a linebacker or a reciever(depending on how the rooks pan out).

Mason got an opportunity to showcase his talent on a team that was stacked with players at his position. For Mason to make this team he would have to be a stellar special teams contributor which unfortunately he was not.

We have Portis, Betts, and Cartwright on this team and keeping a 4th HB simply wasn't feasible. I like Mason, but the reality is that HB isn't a position where we need depth.

Mason has shown that he has what it takes to be a contributor in this league, it just won't be on this team.

Mason wasn't going to make this team, and really, if I was him, I wouldn't want to. He has all the tape in the world to make his case to be a second back somewhere else, and possibly start somewhere in a year or two. Several years under Gibbs left us too deep at the RB position for Mason to do more than spend years on the sideline. I think the Skins did him a favor.

Cutting Broughton didn't hurt us at all because he has been hurt his entire time here. Gibbs wasted a draft pick on him and he never made an impact. So to say he was a big loss is an understatement. We can put Yoder in at fullback if Sellers ever gets hurt. As far as Mason being used, he wasn't used anymore than any other player trying to make the squad. The thing he had to prove was that he was a better overall player than Rock, which he didn't prove. Another thing he had to prove was that he was too good to cut and we would have to cut a OL or DL player. That was the real choice that had to be made plus like it was said on here, he was a Cowboy fan growing up. Don't get me wrong, I liked Mason and he will be picked up by a team that needs a good RB for depth but don't be surprised if he isn't. He didn't prove he could play against first team players because he was running against third team players and scrubs. It wasn't like he just made you say "Wow." In order for him to make the team he would have had to been playing like an Adrain Peterson type runner. He didn't do that. So he had a good audition and he will be picked up somewhere and get his shot at making a team but he won't be the next big thing by any means.

The thing that bothers me about this preseason is that we cut our two biggest stars (on offense anyway) McMullen and Mason rose4 to the top and probably deserved a chance. I can see the reasoning behind their cuts, but I think Mason earned a role. I wouldn't say he was used, but I would say that he got shafted.

Was Marcus Mason just used by the coaching staff to allow Portis, Betts, and Rock to have fresh legs for the year? I personally felt that he EARNED a spot on this team. When it appeared that others had "taken the night off," he kept churning out yards.

Mason was one of the biggest highlights this preseason, and we all know there weren't many. But his play was stellar. I hope he makes it to someones squad and gets the opportunity to succeed.

Best of luck Marcus Mason I tip my cap to you!:applause:

How was mason used he got 5 preseason games to showcase his ability to every NFL team. He might have been used in this case but he made a good case to be picked up somewhere else. Who would want to sit here as the 4th RB ....

Not only was he used, but I hear he feels dirty, blames himself, and isn't sure he'll ever talk to another team again. :(

You hate to say it, but I'm thinking he was asking for it. I mean, did you see the way he had to slide into his uniform? Oh yeah, he knew what he wanted...

Get serious. The Redskins gave him the biggest favor by giving him a shot to carry the load. If you can't pick up the blitz or play on special teams, it's hard to make a roster as a 4th running back.

This guy is so overrated it's unbelievable. Do other team's fan's lament over a lost 4th string RB?

Archived