Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox reporting on a popular uprising in baghdad

Zen-like Todd

Fox has a lot of info in the lead article on FoxNews.com that, if true, is amazing. They report that two foreign news agencies are reporting the uprising against the Iraqi military and that missiles were found with chemical weapons, ready to fire. Fox has been EARLY to report each possibility of chemical weapons and they have not been accurate, so, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Originally posted by Art

Fox has a lot of info in the lead article on FoxNews.com that, if true, is amazing.

I agree. That imbedded ex-marine whose been taking pictures and doing live work from the field (Not Ollie North or Rick Leventhal, but I can't remember his name right now) deserves a pulitzer. I was watching him until 3 in the morning last night. He was broadcasting from the palaces in Baghdad, even while the Iraqi minister of defense was denying that we were even in Baghdad.

CNN has been left in the dirt.

There MUST be some truth to the missles with chem weps... even NPR reported it this a.m. on the drive to work. Although they headlined it, "There MAY BE some chemical weapons found in Iraq. Stay tuned...." even though their own interview with the US military advisor explicitily said, "We HAVE found missles with Sarin & Mustard gas warheads ready to fire..."

I used to love NPR, now I really just cant stand the way they spin things...

CNN's biggest problem is they spent too long on the war doubts. Not the lead up, but the actual plan and how the war was going. They allowed themselves to get too caught up in the U.S. being "bogged" down. They allowed themselves to spend way too much time worrying over the supply lines. They should have taken a common sense approach that, in very few days we were 50 miles from Baghdad, there was TERRIBLE weather and a natural pause because of it before pressing on.

Fox, meanwhile, has stayed very upbeat. Though, that's led to amazing repetition because there are stories Fox is ignoring in an effort to maintain morale and backing for the war. Had we come out of the sand storms and been locked in place, CNN would have taken back over from Fox as the top cable outlet, because they would have been seen as "honestly" looking at the issues and the war and people would flock back to them.

As it happens, they proved to be dense for spending so much time on nonsense, and Fox is going to get a huge boost out of this war. In all though, Fox has been far too willing to report unverified information and far too unwilling to retract it when it's clearly incorrect. I'm a little sour on them for that, but, in the end, I appreciate that they are supportive, and openly so, of our troops and our effort. I'm guessing many Americans will share that appreciation.

Originally posted by rv581

I agree. That imbedded ex-marine whose been taking pictures and doing live work from the field (Not Ollie North or Rick Leventhal, but I can't remember his name right now) deserves a pulitzer. I was watching him until 3 in the morning last night. He was broadcasting from the palaces in Baghdad, even while the Iraqi minister of defense was denying that we were even in Baghdad.

CNN has been left in the dirt.

Greg Kelly?

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

Greg Kelly?

That's him. I was up late, late last night watching him on TV. That, coupled with the daylight switch, has left me exausted..... snore.....snore...

Kelly's work from the field is breathtaking. He was interviewing marines live, straight from Saddam's castles. He even described Saddam's bathroom!

The first Gulf War made CNN what it is. I think the second Gulf War will make FOX. It's not a matter of right-wing/left-wing anymore; it's that FOX's reporters are just BETTER.

Sans Geraldo, of course!!:laugh:

Originally posted by Art

In all though, Fox has been far too willing to report unverified information and far too unwilling to retract it when it's clearly incorrect. I'm a little sour on them for that ...

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment, Art, but I might add that in the first Gulf War, CNN was also far too eager to report stories (i.e chemical attacks in Israel) that they later had to retract. Maybe it's the price one pays for staying ahead of the pack. The keyword being "maybe"!

I agree with the assessment of Greg Kelly's job done so far. Another thing to add in is that he was injured (schrapnel to the face, very minor flesh wound) and he just keeps on going. It doesn't seem like he missed a beat. his dad is the Chief of Police in N.Y. and both are former marines, something I found interesting.

IF anyone is a military guy, please answer this point less question if you know....

I've seen a bunch of pictures of the troops with their M-16's in the ready position, but with the butt of the rifle not against their arm pit, but higher up, almost on the shoulder... what's up with that?

CNN's taken a hit because their imbedded reporters aren't nearly as numerous as Fox's and MSNBC's, and their pictures from them just don't seem as good or dramatic.

IMHO they assumed too much that once again they'd have a monopoly on American reporting from Baghdad, and when they got kicked out on Day 3 or whatever they had no good backup plan.

They've tried to take a more analytical approach, but that just doesn't compete with the dramatic video coming from guys like Bloom (RIP) and Arnot on MSNBC, and Leventhal, Kelly, and even North on Fox from the front lines.

Originally posted by Art

In all though, Fox has been far too willing to report unverified information and far too unwilling to retract it when it's clearly incorrect.

In the beginning of war I would agree with you but the last 2 weeks they have let the viewers know that the reports are unverified when ther are and do retract them when need be.

Originally posted by JackC

I wonder if we can get a real news network to back up this claim?

Like Al-jazeera? :rolleyes: Please don't tell me you are referring to CNN or even worse, MSNBC? The fact that they are affiliated with microsoft alone makes them untrustworthy.

Originally posted by Art

CNN's biggest problem is they spent too long on the war doubts. Not the lead up, but the actual plan and how the war was going. They allowed themselves to get too caught up in the U.S. being "bogged" down.

cagle00.gif

:laugh:

I agree with you on that, Jack, and even more broadly another difficulty will be demonstrating to the Arabs and Muslims worldwide that we are and will be there not for selfish reasons (beyond security) but to help the Iraqis govern themselves after having been victimized for decades by a brutal regime. It will likely end up that the Iraqis themselves will be the best spokesmen for this latter point.

I wonder if we can get a real news network to back up this claim?

A real network?

Like ABC, whose news director said that the Americans killed in 9/11 were legitimate targets?

Like NBC, who blew-up trucks and blamed G.M. on Dateline?

Like CNN, who had to fire Peter Arnett after he falsely claimed on the air that American troops used chemical weapons in Vietnam?

Like CBS, where Dan Rather is more courteous in an interview with Saddam Husein than he ever is with President Bush?

Which "real" network do you mean?

Originally posted by rv581

A real network?

Like ABC, whose news director said that the Americans killed in 9/11 were legitimate targets?

Like NBC, who blew-up trucks and blamed G.M. on Dateline?

Like CNN, who had to fire Peter Arnett after he falsely claimed on the air that American troops used chemical weapons in Vietnam?

Like CBS, where Dan Rather is more courteous in an interview with Saddam Husein than he ever is with President Bush?

Which "real" network do you mean?

If you mean that they all suck, I agree.

Oh, and to answer an earlier poster... Chemical Weapons have been confirmed... Mosquito's everywhere are saying "I told you so" over the discovery of pesticides...:laugh: :laugh:

...it will very hard to convince the Arabs on this. Reality and Truth will not matter to them as we've seen for decades. We need a master propagandist!

How about Dick Morris? :)

yeah, I can just see him coaching up whatever Arab sheik becomes their first elected leader:

(With finger wagging/pounding in fierce determination)"I did not have sexual relations wiz dat camel!":silly:

Archived