Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When is paying child support too much?

The Evil Genius

Hope Carrey wins this one. Too bad the daughter doesnt have a pernonal trainer. Boo frickin hoo.

Actor Jim Carrey's Ex-Wife Seeks More Child Support

Thu Apr 3, 7:34 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Jim Carrey's ex-wife wants a judge to award her more child support, saying that their daughter must get by on $10,000 a month and cannot afford her own bodyguards, personal trainer or Pilates equipment, according to court papers obtained by an investigative Web site on Wednesday.

Melissa Carrey says in the court papers, obtained by The Smoking Gun Web site, that $10,000 a month "is not sufficient" to meet the needs of her 15-year-old daughter Jane, who wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.

A spokeswoman for Jim Carrey, star of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and one of Hollywood's highest-paid actors, could not immediately be reached for comment, nor could a spokesman for his ex-wife.

"Jane does not have personal security ... which I believe is important to have at this time," Melissa Carrey said of her daughter in the court papers filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, noting that the teenager is "often followed around" by photographers.

"Jane enjoys Pilates and takes classes at the local Pilates studio but does not have her own personal trainer or her own Pilates equipment," the ex-Mrs. Carrey said in the papers, adding that she would like to build a $200,000 studio for the girl to practice the fitness regimen and her musical instruments.

Melissa Carrey, who has primary custody of her daughter, says she pays for her classes in drama, music recording and arranging, singing, tennis, dance, Pilates and computers, but would like to sign her up for horseback riding lessons and a private ski instructor.

Jane Carrey also needs money for a talent agent and to be professionally photographed as she begins a career in entertainment, her mother says.

Jane Carrey is the only child of Jim and Melissa Carrey, who divorced in 1995.

Child support in many cases can be fraud.

In the past, one of my ex girlfriends had a brother that was a police officer and was devorced. The child support was very high for the amount of money that he made. To make things worse, the exwife used the money on herself. Her kid were dressed in hand-me-downs while she was out on the town and dressed to a "T".

It's sad.

In Florida the ex-wife can petition the court for an increase in child support every time the father's salary increases.

I guess the logic here is that if the couple were still married, the child's standard of living would rise with each increase in salary.

Ask no more why after 17 years of divorce I've never chosen to remarry.

It's one of the biggest scams around and a true tragedy for the mothers who are actually screwed over by deadbeats. Unfortunately the media, and quite a few women don't understand the different between a scumbag that refuses to spend a single thin dime on a child of his, and a mother that demands $120 G per year minimum. It's absurd and complete and utter cr@p and until there is genuine fairness in the system, as well as a pursuit of the 'true' deadbeats, noone can or should have respect for the system. It doesn't surprise me at all to realize that the gold digging H0's spend the money on themselves and not much at all on their child. It's a damn shame that the children of true, hard working, and honest single mothers suffer while swine like this b!tch, get paid phat money. What we need is a remodeling of the whole department, remake the rules sensibly, and set up an enforcement system that is fair. One of the first rules should be that all who have children must pay child support, one of the second rules should be a cap on that support and a third rule should involve DNA testing for when it comes to lying h0's. After all, what kind of punishment should be afoot for some woman who defrauded a man into paying child support for a child that wasn't his?

There is no part of our legal system that operates perfectly. However, IMHO the absolutely worst aspect of the legal system is the one dealing with family law, and in particular that which deals with child custody and support.

Mothers think they're getting a raw deal because, quite often, they bear the brunt of raising the children and have little or no work experience, and therefore have to fight for every last dime of support. The "deadbeat dad" problem only makes this worse.

Fathers hate it because they're transformed into a feed trough of support money for the ex, and always seem to be second class citizens when it comes to visitation and custody. And they have no say in how the money, when it's sent to the ex, is actually spent.

And worst of all, this horribly flawed system encourages rather than discourages costly and divisive and traumatizing (for the children) litigation that doesn't fundamentally solve the problem. It's a mess.

Originally posted by redman

There is no part of our legal system that operates perfectly. However, IMHO the absolutely worst aspect of the legal system is the one dealing with family law, and in particular that which deals with child custody and support.

Mothers think they're getting a raw deal because, quite often, they bear the brunt of raising the children and have little or no work experience, and therefore have to fight for every last dime of support. The "deadbeat dad" problem only makes this worse.

Fathers hate it because they're transformed into a feed trough of support money for the ex, and always seem to be second class citizens when it comes to visitation and custody. And they have no say in how the money, when it's sent to the ex, is actually spent.

And worst of all, this horribly flawed system encourages rather than discourages costly and divisive and traumatizing (for the children) litigation that doesn't fundamentally solve the problem. It's a mess.

Well Said..!:cheers:

How about if I further fan the flames by pointing out in general it doesn't even matter whether during the divorce you can prove the child isn't yours. The courts will rule that since you've acted as the father, even under false pretenses, your obligation continues.

In fact, in some (maybe most?) states, it doesn't even matter whether you ever believe yourself to be the father. If your wife becomes pregnant from an affair, as the husband you become legally responsible for the child. Imagine writing that little check out every month for the next 18 years!

The thing that bugs me the most about this issue in particular is that Carey already pays $10k a month for his daughter's expenses. Or supposedly just his daughter's expenses anyway. His ex is asking for an increase based on the 10% of the year she spends with her father.

What does this tell people? Spend less on your kids when they are with you so that you won't have to increase your child support in the end. The whole thing is just wrong.

No one has mentioned it, but it was always really nice of Carey to divorce his wife just as he was getting rich. I'm assuming he got out of paying alimony with that little tactic.

To make things "right", Carey should hire a PI to find out what his ex is spending the money on. I'd bet Redskin tickets that his daughter isn't getting 100% of that $120,000/yr.

Ask no more why after 17 years of divorce I've never chosen to remarry.

Actually, that won't save you. It doesn't matter whether you're married or not when it comes to child support payments. A better solution would be a vasectomy. :laugh:

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

How about if I further fan the flames by pointing out in general it doesn't even matter whether during the divorce you can prove the child isn't yours. The courts will rule that since you've acted as the father, even under false pretenses, your obligation continues.

In fact, in some (maybe most?) states, it doesn't even matter whether you ever believe yourself to be the father. If your wife becomes pregnant from an affair, as the husband you become legally responsible for the child. Imagine writing that little check out every month for the next 18 years!

Great post, I have seen shows dealing with this topic and it sucks big time. I cannot see how our Judicial system works sometimes.

Archived