Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From NFL.com, Zorn looks comfortable...

smokinskinsfan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=579DCF41A4A6D7D9269E8652CB9DBB0D?campaign=ec0005&template=with-video&confirm=true&id=09000d5d809b8c31

As coaching debuts go, Jim Zorn's was fairly solid. You don't expect a whole lot from preseason-openers, and Sunday night's Pro Football Hall of Fame Game between Zorn's Washington Redskins and the Indianapolis Colts was no exception.

Yet Zorn's execution from the sidelines, as well as his players' execution on the field, was reasonably sharp. The Redskins won, 30-16, and there was reason for the rookie coach and his team to feel there was something -- as small as it might have been -- on which they could build.

Consider what was working against Zorn. Although the game didn't count, it was played before a national television audience. Most the Redskin players who saw action were youngsters, many of whom won't make the final roster. And the coach on the other side of the field only happened to be Tony Dungy, one of the very best in the business.

If Zorn was feeling any jitters, he wasn't showing it. He looked extremely comfortable, as if he had been guiding an NFL team for years.

The Colts wasted no time trying to outfox him, with an onside kick on the opening kickoff. But the Redskins recovered at the Indianapolis 45-yard line. Three players later, they were in the end zone. In a matter of 77 seconds, Zorn -- who also serves as the Redskins' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach -- had the first touchdown of his head-coaching career, a 20-yard pass from Jason Campbell to a wide open Antwaan Randle El.

use link for the rest..

I think when he says OC, he is talking more about him being the play caller.

Similar to how last year Greg Blache's title was Defensive Coordinator, but that title reall was Gregg Williams.

At least thats how I read it.

In name only. Zorn's the one organizing the scheme and calling the plays.

Basically, after what I heard last night, the offense is the same as last year except the passing game. That's where the continuity is coming from.

If Zorn can get a passing game that actually works, and the defense can play like they did the past couple of years, we are set.

Interesting note about the organization of the practices. Kinda tells you how Gibbs may have gotten some things overlooked just because he was Gibbs. To say Zorns practices are more organized than Gibbs to me is a strong statement. If Gibbs truly had great practices then think about how effective Zorns practices are on the field and what that means for this team. Other than his opening presser when he was introduced, this guy has been very calm and refreshing in the way he handles his business.:logo:

Archived