Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Cowboys rebuild if they don't win a playoff game?

Westbrook36

No big deal. But if you remember Gregg Williams talking before last year began, he stated in his interviews that they were gonna have Sean roam the backfield in the cover 1. That was pretty much how Sean got his interceptions last year. The cover 1 uses a deep safety to cover a lot of ground. Only somebody with Taylor's range will be any good at it. Remember him picking Favre off? That was a classic example of the cover 1 being used effectively by a team with a rangey FS.
Yea, I remember that.

He got two picks that game and could have had 5.

Damn, that game really pissed me off. **** moss.

Of course. The ATN is the #1 source for unbiased Cowboys information. No agendas here. Plus, there are some experts here that are so good at what they do, they don't even have to be in Oxnard to know EXACTLY what's going on. Just save your $$ on those fluff magazines and tune into ATN TV!!

Glad to see you're finally coming around!

:cheers:

so what about losing Rogers, and the Death of ST?

Henry and Newman missed a total of 6 games combined, we lost both Rogers and Taylor for more games each.

(BTW Smoot missed a couple games injured as well)

No, bubba, no more facts.

You know how those upset them...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We played a bunch of Cover 1 and 0.

You trying to tell me your safeties didn't help over top?

No, I know our Safeties provided over the top help sometimes.

The skins' used the Cover 2 a large majority of the time though correct? (I ask this straightforward with no sarcasm because you would know better than me as you watched more Redskins games)

My only point was that all 3 teams at the top of KC Joyner's CB Tandem list predominantly use the Cover-2/Tampa-2 style of coverage which has the CB's playing shorter coverages than some other schemes do. Those 3 teams all have considerably lower YPA's than the rest of the CB Tandems.

I'm not saying that you guys ALWAYS ran the Cover 2 because I know that's not the case but, to my knowledge, most of the time they used the Cover 2. Just like Tampa Bay and Chicago.

I do remember a few games where Sean Taylor was the lone deep safety.. Packers game especially as you pointed out.

To me, its just another case of KC Joyner trying to rank players based purely on 1 stat and that stat doesn't tell the entire story. The YPA stat in this case seems to be affected by the scheme in which each player played.

Anyway, all I was getting at was that those CB Tandem rankings don't tell the whole story. Obviously the teams at the top of the list have quality play at the CB position... but the stats appear to be aided by the scheme also.

These are projections based on KC Joyners 2004 to 2007 stats. Written by Rafael Vela... a Cowboys fan so I know that that will come into question obviously.

Which Teams Have the Best Corner Units?

July 16, 2008

In part four of the series assessing cornerbacks using K.C. Joyner’s YPA stats from 2004 through 2007, I move from individual assessments to unit ratings. Joyner has a new set of ratings in Scientific Football 2008. I’m not going to rely on these numbers, though I will relay that Dallas finished ‘07 in the top ten.

I’ve chosen to overlook his ‘07 ratings for two reasons. First, they’re exclusive to 2007. Joyner rates the corner units as they performed in ‘07. That’s fine, but with Adam Jones joining the Cowboys’ roster, fans are interested in predictive stats.

For that reason I’m using any and all of Joyner’s numbers from the past four years. I figure more is better. As you’ve seen, a player’s YPA’s can fluctuate wildly from year to year. If we want an idea of how a corner is likely to perform in ‘08, I think it’s best to use all the data that’s available. In Terence Newman’s and Anthony Henry’s cases, I’m using their four-year averages, since those numbers are available. In Jones’ case, Joyner has two years of numbers on him, so I’ll go with their average and will do the same with every other CB.

I’m also rating the units three deep, since nickel backs are vital in this era of spread sets. This will lead to some omissions that cannot be helped. For example, Buffalo will be playing a rookie, Leodis McKelvin at one corner spot this year, so I can’t put a number on his performance.

Lastly, I’m simply averaging the three player’s YPAs here, which does not give proper weight to each player’s contribution, so consider these “soft” averages. Therefore, I’m going to place the units in tiers, rather than in a column. By coincidence, there are only five units that have an average YPA below 7.0, so they form my pantheon. Here they are in alphabetical order, with each player’s average YPA in parentheses:

1. Chicago — Nathan Vasher (5.7), Charles Tillman (6.6), Trumaine McBride (7.1)

Vasher is the best corner we have not discussed yet, because I have not rated players with only two seasons of YPAs. Vasher was top notch in ‘05 and ‘06 but missed 12 games last year because of injury. McBride filled in and posted a very respectable 7.1 YPA.

2. Dallas — Terence Newman (6.2), Adam Jones (6.3), Anthony Henry (7.4)

Jones has an average near Newman’s and has a career peak topping Newman’s, posting an outstanding 5.4 YPA in ‘06. (Newman’s career best is 5.7.) If Jones can approach this number again, he’ll be a starter.

3. Green Bay — Charles Woodson (6.5), Al Harris (7.5), Jarrett Bush (6.6)

Harris gets a lot of love from the press, but his YPA is lower than Anthony Henry’s. Like Henry, he’ll break up passes but give up some huge gains. Bush was very good in his first year at nickelback.

4. Pittsburgh — Deshea Townsend (6.3), Ike Taylor (7.4), Bryant McFadden (6.0)

It’s feast or famine with this bunch. Taylor has been consistently average at one corner and therefore draws most of the action. Townsend and McFadden have alternated so-so seasons with off-the-charts good ones. Both had YPAs below 5.5 last year. If the pattern holds, they’ll be off this season.

5. Washington — Shawn Springs (5.5), Fred Smoot (6.8), Carlos Rogers (7.1)

Springs outstanding play the past four years raises this bunch, but Smoot and Rogers have been steady and good, if unspectacular.

Written by Rafael Vela · Filed Under NFL, Players, Teams

http://www.blueandsilverreport.com/2008/07/16/which-team-has-the-best-corner-units/

Note that the teams are in alphabetical order and not "ranked".

Just posted this to show the 2004 to 2007 averages data.

No, I know our Safeties provided over the top help sometimes.

The skins' used the Cover 2 a large majority of the time though correct? (I ask this straightforward with no sarcasm because you would know better than me as you watched more Redskins games)

My only point was that all 3 teams at the top of KC Joyner's CB Tandem list predominantly use the Cover-2/Tampa-2 style of coverage which has the CB's playing shorter coverages than some other schemes do. Those 3 teams all have considerably lower YPA's than the rest of the CB Tandems.

I'm not saying that you guys ALWAYS ran the Cover 2 because I know that's not the case but, to my knowledge, most of the time they used the Cover 2. Just like Tampa Bay and Chicago.

I do remember a few games where Sean Taylor was the lone deep safety.. Packers game especially as you pointed out.

To me, its just another case of KC Joyner trying to rank players based purely on 1 stat and that stat doesn't tell the entire story. The YPA stat in this case seems to be affected by the scheme in which each player played.

Anyway, all I was getting at was that those CB Tandem rankings don't tell the whole story. Obviously the teams at the top of the list have quality play at the CB position... but the stats appear to be aided by the scheme also.

We actually did not run the cover 2 most of the time. We ran the cover 1 mostly. The Green Bay game wasn't the exception. You may be thinking that we ran the cover 2 because I think when Sean went out, we actually did switch to it with Doughty playing FS and Landry playing SS. That included the first Dallas game. However, with ST in there and later when Landry getting the starting nod at FS with Doughty moving over to SS, we went back to cover 1.

Landry as the SS was up on near the line a lot and then later on it became Doughty's job. I don't recall them splitting the coverage in the backfield all that much.

The Cowboys are stacked with youth and talent and have vet leadership at the right positions. If they only win one postseason game, it will be just as bad as if they lose right away. They are the absolute darlings of the media going in and expectations are "super" high. Anything less than an NFC Championship game appearance could be disastrous.

If the Cowboys fail to win a playoff game this is what will happen:

Phillips fired, possibly Brian Stewart as well if it was a defensive breakdown.

Garrett takes over head coach.

We push for Roy Williams(Det), Anquan Boldin, or trade up and draft a WR.

Roy Williams(Dal) gets traded if his coverage skill is once again suspect at best. Secondary stays the same outside of that.

Ellis will be out of time, Spencer will move into his spot leaving Ware and Spencer as the starting OLB. This is Spears last year to make a lasting impression as well I'm afraid, otherwise he'll be out in the cold. ILB.. time will be out for whomever performs poorly out of James, Thomas, or Burnett. We have Carpenter and need to get a look out of him at some point otherwise we have a number 1 pick just rotting on this roster which is unfortunate.

OL.. well, we got Gurode and Davis who are locked and perform nicely. Flozell, well, the coaches love him and his production, and while it is good, his damn false starts need to stop. I feel he'll still have a job unless our OLine breaks down. Kosier.. he's the one with the job to worry about. Joe Berger has been pressuring him in camp, so might come sooner than later. And I feel Columbo is in a good position regardless, however, Pat McQuistan is waiting in the background as well.

QB stays the same. Witten stays the same, maybe bring in another TE, but don't need two profile TE's .. I think Curtis can do a sufficient job if not Bennett can hopefully fill that void.

We will see what type of load MBIII can handle as well as the additions of Felix and Tashard. MBIII may move back to be a pounder while Felix moves in as the starter if it doesn't go well him carrying the bulk of the load.

K and Punter stay the same unless Folk blows it bad all season. McBriar has one hell of a leg, so he's secure.

Cliffs- So the only positions I can see changing up provided we don't make it to the playoffs or lose first game of the playoffs are this:

Head Coach

Def Coordinator

Off Coordinator(See head coach via Jason Garrett)

WR Addition

Spencer to take over Ellis

Berger to take over Kosier

Jones to start and MBIII to be the bruiser again

Carpenter to get more time at ILB

If Henry starts all season, expect "Adam" Jones to take over(regardless of turnout I feel)

NT/DT shuffles.. who knows where Tank's going to be, and Spears is on the clock.

I think those are changes that can, and most likely, to be made provided no playoff win.

If the Cowboys fail to win a playoff game, it would be disastrous mentally and emotionally. Other than Phillips being fired immediately, I really don't see the team being blown up however. Jerry has managed the cap well and he'll certainly reload and give it another go. It's what teams do.

The OP is obviously bitter and jaded by making such a slanted "what if" post. I see right through his bs. "What if" Philly's SB trophy case remains EMPTY? Dallas has 5. We'll keep marching on. :finger:

If the Cowboys fail to win a playoff game, it would be disastrous mentally and emotionally. Other than Phillips being fired immediately, I really don't see the team being blown up however. Jerry has managed the cap well and he'll certainly reload and give it another go. It's what teams do.

The OP is obviously bitter and jaded by making such a slanted "what if" post. I see right through his bs. "What if" Philly's SB trophy case remains EMPTY? Dallas has 5. We'll keep marching on. :finger:

You failed to mention that Jerruh has locked up a core group of choking dog players for a long time.

I think the only thing that could really happen is Fatty McButterpants getting fired. But, that'll happen even if the get to the SB and lose.

Poor Fatty.

Didnt you give up football all together? I swear there is a thread out there with a drunken Westy claiming to hate football and was giving up being an Eagles fan, for having ruined your life.....Am I right about that? Or was it, your an Eagle fan for life, but so dissapointed you wished you never knew football existed?

What brings you back, is it how incredible the Eagles are looking in Camp? A healthy mcnugget? Or are you just bored once again and need people to talk to...even though we are all on a forum...and are not really your friends. Try facebook or myspace, that place will allow you to make many MANY friends!

:2cents:

Any more naked man studs you wanna show this year, or have you learned a lesson from the last one you decided to show us?

And how about that bet. TOP 2 WR's stats end of the year. Dallas vs Philly?

Rec, Yards, TD's

:munchout::munchout::munchout:

• 4 months later...

Archived