Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour

Zguy28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

WP: President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072902068.html?sub=AR

By Dana Milbank

Wednesday, July 30, 2008; Page A03

Barack Obama has long been his party's presumptive nominee. Now he's becoming its presumptuous nominee.

Fresh from his presidential-style world tour, during which foreign leaders and American generals lined up to show him affection, Obama settled down to some presidential-style business in Washington yesterday. He ordered up a teleconference with the (current president's) Treasury secretary, granted an audience to the Pakistani prime minister and had his staff arrange for the chairman of the Federal Reserve to give him a briefing. Then, he went up to Capitol Hill to be adored by House Democrats in a presidential-style pep rally.

Along the way, he traveled in a bubble more insulating than the actual president's. Traffic was shut down for him as he zoomed about town in a long, presidential-style motorcade, while the public and most of the press were kept in the dark about his activities, which included a fundraiser at the Mayflower where donors paid $10,000 or more to have photos taken with him. His schedule for the day, announced Monday night, would have made Dick Cheney envious:

11:00 a.m.: En route TBA.

12:05 p.m.: En route TBA.

1:45 p.m.: En route TBA.

2:55 p.m.: En route TBA.

5:20 p.m.: En route TBA.

The 5:20 TBA turned out to be his adoration session with lawmakers in the Cannon Caucus Room, where even committee chairmen arrived early, as if for the State of the Union. Capitol Police cleared the halls -- just as they do for the actual president. The Secret Service hustled him in through a side door -- just as they do for the actual president.

Inside, according to a witness, he told the House members, "This is the moment . . . that the world is waiting for," adding: "I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

As he marches toward Inauguration Day (Election Day is but a milestone on that path), Obama's biggest challenger may not be Republican John McCain but rather his own hubris.

Some say the supremely confident Obama -- nearly 100 days from the election, he pronounces that "the odds of us winning are very good" -- has become a president-in-waiting. But in truth, he doesn't need to wait: He has already amassed the trappings of the office, without those pesky decisions.

The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder reported last week that Obama has directed his staff to begin planning for his transition to the White House, causing Republicans to howl about premature drape measuring. Obama was even feeling confident enough to give British Prime Minister Gordon Brown some management advice over the weekend. "If what you're trying to do is micromanage and solve everything, then you end up being a dilettante," he advised the prime minister, portraying his relative inexperience much as President Bush did in 2000.

On his presidential-style visit to the Western Wall in Jerusalem last week, Obama left a written prayer, intercepted by an Israeli newspaper, asking God to "help me guard against pride and despair." He seems to have the despair part under control, but the pride could be a problem.

One source of the confidence is the polling, which shows him with a big lead over McCain. But polls are fickle allies: A USA Today-Gallup poll released Monday found McCain leading Obama by four percentage points among likely voters. Another reason for Obama's confidence -- the press -- is also an unfaithful partner. The Project for Excellence in Journalism reported yesterday that Obama dominated the news media's attention for a seventh straight week. But there are signs that the Obama campaign's arrogance has begun to anger reporters.

In the latest issue of the New Republic, Gabriel Sherman found reporters complaining that Obama's campaign was "acting like the Prom Queen" and being more secretive than Bush. The magazine quoted the New York Times' Adam Nagourney's reaction to the Obama campaign's memo attacking one of his stories: "I've never had an experience like this, with this campaign or others." Then came Obama's overseas trip and the campaign's selection of which news organizations could come aboard. Among those excluded: the New Yorker magazine, which had just published a satirical cover about Obama that offended the campaign.

Even Bush hasn't tried that. But then again, Obama has been outdoing the president in ruffles and flourishes lately. As Bush held quiet signing ceremonies in the White House yesterday morning, Obama was involved in a more visible display of executive authority a block away, when he met with Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani at the Willard. A full block of F Street was shut down for the prime minister and the would-be president, and some 40 security and motorcade vehicles filled the street.

Later, Obama's aides issued an official-sounding statement, borrowing the language of White House communiques: "I had a productive and wide-ranging discussion. . . . I look forward to working with the democratically elected government of Pakistan."

It had been a long day of acting presidential, but Obama wasn't done. After a few hours huddling with advisers over his vice presidential choice, Obama made his way to the pep rally on the Hill. Moments after he entered the meeting with lawmakers, there was an extended cheer, followed by another, and another.

"I think this can be an incredible election," Obama said later. "I look forward to collaborating with everybody here to win the election."

Win the election? Didn't he do that already?

Do you think the statement "This is the moment . . . that the world is waiting for...I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions" is arrogant?

I added a poll.

Totally full of himself.

I get what he was "trying" to say. But, like I heard on MSNBC this morning. You didn't hear Jackie Robinson talking about how symbolic it was that he's the 1st black baseball player in MLB.

He needs to tone it down......a lot. He probably could get by without even using McCain's name in speeches. Where McCain clearly can't do that same. He needs to attack Obama non-stop from now until Nov.

Gabriel Sherman found reporters complaining that Obama's campaign was "acting like the Prom Queen"

:laugh: . This election is getting pretty hilarious and will end up being very, very interesting. It could just end up being all out war betweeen Dems and Repubs.

That said, I do find the statement to be pretty arrogant. It seems like he's taking the whole "act presidential" thing a little too far and instead of making himself look electable, he looks like an arrogant ass. Just my opinion though.

This reeks of pure jealousy to me. Does Milbank want some cheese with that whine? Stop crying into your keyboard about it.

Let's face it - if McCain weren't making Bob Dole look like Ronald Reagan right now, it might actually be a race. McCain has nothing to offer himself that would appeal to a majority of the electorate, so he has to criticize Obama or wait for Obama to make a mistake. Milbank is just carrying the GOP's water here by this latest attack -- "Obama is doing so well and is so well liked, it just isn't fair."

*Marsha Marsha MARSHA!!*

Please....

Why not act like that?...He already has been anointed as the Savior of mankind by the press.

though they do seem to be having a little buyers remorse lately.

In recent polls of Americans its a relative dead heat around 35% believing one candidate or the other is getting favorable treatment by the press. :2cents:

This reeks of pure jealousy to me. Does Milbank want some cheese with that whine? Stop crying into your keyboard about it.

Let's face it - if McCain weren't making Bob Dole look like Ronald Reagan right now, it might actually be a race. McCain has nothing to offer himself that would appeal to a majority of the electorate, so he has to criticize Obama or wait for Obama to make a mistake. Milbank is just carrying the GOP's water here by this latest attack -- "Obama is doing so well and is so well liked, it just isn't fair."

*Marsha Marsha MARSHA!!*

Please....

Some of the latest gallup polls have Obama only leading by 4 points.

A lot of Americans are ticked that he went abroad.

I recent polls of Americans its a relative dead heat around 35% believing one candidate or the other is getting favorable treatment by the press. :2cents:

Some people NEED to blame the media. Its just in their blood I guess.

McCain and Obama were the golden boys of the primary season. McCain just has had a lot more gaffes lately.

Some people NEED to blame the media. Its just in their blood I guess.

McCain and Obama were the golden boys of the primary season. McCain just has had a lot more gaffes lately.

I saw on MOrning Joe the other day a shot of Obama speaking in Berlin, then they cut over to McCain in a supermarket and a clerk knocking over a stack of corn cans or something behind him and a little girl in the cart next to looking at him like "who is this scary old guy?" :laugh:

Some of the latest gallup polls have Obama only leading by 4 points.

A lot of Americans are ticked that he went abroad.

Obama has been consistently ahead of McCain by at least 2-4 points in 99% of polls for the last month, many outside the margin of error. He's leading in most of the battleground states too. And I'm not sure who those "ticked" Americans are, since he's gotten a bump in the polls after that trip. McCain went to Canada and Columbia, so it can't be the foreign travel itself that has people "ticked." Of course, nobody remembers much about McCain's trip because it was uneventful, and he's boring. Which is his problem.

I'm not saying things can't change, but I am saying that it's Obama's race to lose. So unless Obama makes a mistake or McCain can make an attack stick, he's toast. This is just the latest right-wing attack on Obama, and they're hoping it sticks.

Look, everyone who runs for President has to be at least a little arrogant and egotistical. If you think you deserve to be the leader of the free world, by definition you think highly of yourself. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, nor should it suprprise anyone.

Unless and until McCain shows he can actually make a race of this, I don't blame Obama for feeling confident. Even GOP consultants have been extremely critical of McCain's campaign so far.

I saw on MOrning Joe the other day a shot of Obama speaking in Berlin, then they cut over to McCain in a supermarket and a clerk knocking over a stack of corn cans or something behind him and a little girl in the cart next to looking at him like "who is this scary old guy?" :laugh:

I dig Morning Joe, because they rip on everybody.

McCain's people are doing a flat out awful job of making him look "with it".

My 95 year old Granny looks more hip.

Take off the tie, put on a "Navy" hat that doesn't look like it was sat on during the ride over. Stop hanging out with other older people.....and show a little emotion when you talk.

Obama has been consistently ahead of McCain by at least 2-4 points in 99% of polls for the last month, many outside the margin of error. He's leading in most of the battleground states too. And I'm not sure who those "ticked" Americans are, since he's gotten a bump in the polls after that trip. McCain went to Canada and Columbia, so it can't be the foreign travel itself that has people "ticked." Of course, nobody remembers much about McCain's trip because it was uneventful, and he's boring. Which is his problem.

I'm not saying things can't change, but I am saying that it's Obama's race to lose. So unless Obama makes a mistake or McCain can make an attack stick, he's toast. This is just the latest right-wing attack on Obama, and they're hoping it sticks.

Look, everyone who runs for President has to be at least a little arrogant and egotistical. If you think you deserve to be the leader of the free world, by definition you think highly of yourself. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, nor should it suprprise anyone.

Unless and until McCain shows he can actually make a race of this, I don't blame Obama for feeling confident. Even GOP consultants have been extremely critical of McCain's campaign so far.

Mccain didn't remember he was in Canada or Columbia.

Do you think the statement "This is the moment . . . that the world is waiting for...I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions" is arrogant?

I added a poll.

If he said that in a speech, yeah.

If he said that conversationally to colleagues that support him ... eh.

From what I can tell that was not an official statement. Just something someone said they heard him say. Big deal.

I do agree that the press is ALL over Obama these days. But this article proves it's not all positive stuff. Whether or not he wins this election Obama is a historic candidate and is going to get a lot of coverage because of that. So we may as well get over it.

By the way, some of these quotes have been selectively chosen. Here's the Wall Street Journal's take:

Sen. Barack Obama paid an upbeat visit to House Democrats, his first meeting with the full group of lawmakers whose fortunes are tightly tied to his this fall. “This is your moment,” he told them.

The Democratic presidential candidate told the group that the positive response he received in Germany and the rest of Europe was “not about him,” said House Democratic Whip James Clyburn of South Carolina. Rather, Obama said he was a “symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions.” Lawmakers gave that remark a standing ovation.

So he specifically says the reception he got was "not about him." Wow, what an ego he has!!

From the same article, it doesn't appear that he's already planning his victory party:

In the question and answer session, Rep. Adam Schiff of California asked whether the Illinois senator would consider appointing a “team of rivals” to his cabinet, such as Defense Secretary Robert Gates. The question prompted some booing and hissing from the audience, according to a Democratic aide. Obama responded that it’s premature to say who he would name to his cabinet and that his job now is to get elected.

And Henry is right -- this was a private event in front of a friendly audience. If you can't express optimism in front of your supporters, when can you?

Here's the link to the article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/29/obama-to-house-democrats-this-is-your-moment/

The actual REAL quote - which the liberal Washington Post seemed to cut out reads as follows:

‘It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions,”

The Washington Post only published "I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

His entire point was it was NOT all about him. Amazing. :doh:

http://thepage.time.com/

I think one of the funniest things I have seen in awhile was John Stewart reporting last week on his trip to Israel where he said:

"After vistiting the Western Wall he went to Bethlehem to see the manger where he was born."

that pretty much sums up my feelings...

The actual REAL quote - which the liberal Washington Post seemed to cut out reads as follows:

‘It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions,”

The Washington Post only published "I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

His entire point was it was NOT all about him. Amazing. :doh:

http://thepage.time.com/

That does change a lot about the comment.

Still, I think he needs to tone it down.

I think one of the funniest things I have seen in awhile was John Stewart reporting last week on his trip to Israel where he said:

"After vistiting the Western Wall he went to Bethlehem to see the manger where he was born."

that pretty much sums up my feelings...

:yikes:

Zing!

Archived