Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins in the market for another DE?

fifthorkid88

Anyone elase catch this from John Clayton on ESPN yesterday? This was posted on his blog on ESPN.com.......

Skins aren't done: The Redskins aren't just looking at adding only Jason Taylor to their defense. At the same time as the trade for Taylor, the Redskins started to look for run-stopping defensive ends. They will have longtime NFL veteran Eric Hicks in for a visit early this week. Taylor is expected to be a starter and potential Pro Bowl player. The loss of Phillip Daniels for the season with a knee injury also created the need to bring in a run-stopping end.

What was interesting about the quick trade of Taylor to the Redskins after they lost two defensive ends during their first day of practice is how other teams in the competitive NFC East made phone calls to Bill Parcells. The Giants called to see about brokering a deal. The Eagles checked in, presumably to drive up the price because they are loaded with pass-rushing ends. In the end, the Redskins needed Taylor and gave the Dolphins a second-round choice in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

I'm completely unsurprised. Demetric Evans is the only thing remotely resembling a run stopping defensive end on our roster at the moment. Daniels was the designated run stopped, and on third down, he was the designated attacking DT. We need a fourth DE with some bulk in order to keep ourselves from getting beaten up in the run game, and to reduce wear and tear on Taylor.

well, this is just being smart. I've had some time to think about the Taylor deal, and while I wouldn't have done it myself, I can live with it. And I can definately look at some of the bright sides of it. I'm not saying they outweigh the negatives, but they do exist.

As far as the trades for other DEs. This is what I was saying we should be doing before we got Taylor. I knew that other teams would have guys on the market for a price much cheaper than Taylor. And I knew that we'd be able to get a run stuffer either through a trade or off waivers. But I'd think that Scott Campbell is smart enough to be seeing whats out there in case we have other injuries. Not just at DE, but also at all other positions. We need to know who is out there in case injuries happen.

Its just like last year when we traded for Kendall. I don't just think we lucked into that trade. I think it was something we had planned in the background if Wade didn't work out. Hopefully we have other things planned too.

YES!!!!1 We are gonna trade for Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers!!!!!!!11

;)

Just like the rest of this board, I am not suprised. We lost 2 guys and need to replace them. I like what Chris Wilson gives us as well as Demetric Evans however, we are in dire need of a vet run stuffer for depth. This is nothing but the FO using their dome piece. :)

Not surprised. We have the roster room and cap room to add a run stuffing end, why not? We lost 2 ends and we're adding 2. Gotta have depth to be able to rotate people in and out.
Well, we lost 2 DEs and only picked up one. It makes sense for us to go get another one.

Actually we've picked up two already. We picked up Talyor and Mapu. I know Mapu is probably a camp trodder, but so was Buzbee. It'll be really interesting to see how this develops.

Whose really left?

Defensive Tackle

Rod Coleman - The Atlanta Falcons decided to go with younger players in his place. But Coleman should have at least two productive years left in him.

Anthony McFarland - He's coming back from patella tendon surgery but the feeling is he'll be able to contribute to a team in a reserve role this season.

James Reed

Ethan Kelley - Despite coming back from microfracture knee surgery, he's had at least three free agent visits so far this year.

Grady Jackson - The big fella still was effective in limited role last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Antonio Garay

Ross Koloziej

Russell Davis

Keith Traylor - He may retire.

Defensive End

Darrion Scott - Legal issues could prevent him from finding a place to play this season.

Rodney Bailey (DE in 3-4/DT in 4-3)

Orpheus Roye - He'll have to prove his knees are in better shape than last season if he's to play in 2008.

Bobby Hamilton

Al Wallace

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=768546

Taylor is better against the run that most people here give him credit for (ask Coach Palermo about it) but I dont want him in there in 4th and 6 inches. We do need a guy that can play short yardage and maybe move to DT on passing downs (what we should have had Daneils doing instead of being the starter). I'm not sure of Evans can do that, but he might be able to. I think he'd be better suited for those roles than an everydown player. Then again, a smaller DT might do the trick (Alexander, Mapu)

I think Mike Rucker and Brian Young at DE and Grady Jackson and Rod Coleman at DT are the best bets. I think they are the most talented FA DL's at this point that are capable of contributing. And I like that they are unrestricted FA's too. And I dont think Simeon Rice is a FA.

Whose really left?

Defensive Tackle

Rod Coleman - The Atlanta Falcons decided to go with younger players in his place. But Coleman should have at least two productive years left in him.

Anthony McFarland - He's coming back from patella tendon surgery but the feeling is he'll be able to contribute to a team in a reserve role this season.

James Reed

Ethan Kelley - Despite coming back from microfracture knee surgery, he's had at least three free agent visits so far this year.

Grady Jackson - The big fella still was effective in limited role last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Antonio Garay

Ross Koloziej

Russell Davis

Keith Traylor - He may retire.

Defensive End

Darrion Scott - Legal issues could prevent him from finding a place to play this season.

Rodney Bailey (DE in 3-4/DT in 4-3)

Orpheus Roye - He'll have to prove his knees are in better shape than last season if he's to play in 2008.

Bobby Hamilton

Al Wallace

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=768546

don't just focus on the free agents. Also think about the possible trade bait/waiver wire guys. Those are the ones with more potential to come here and contribute.

And I dont think Simeon Rice is a FA.

He is.

Isn't Simeon Rice also a free agent?

Hes obviously not a run-stopping DE, but I thought I'd throw it out there because it isn't on the list above.

I wonder why no one has shown any interest in him.

He couldn't pass a physical.

don't just focus on the free agents. Also think about the possible trade bait/waiver wire guys. Those are the ones with more potential to come here and contribute.

That's would I would do. Look at some teams that either have a glut of DE's/smaller DT's on their roster, or look for players that didnt fit with the current defense scheme (like changeing from 4-3 to 3-4).

Might find some pretty decent depth there.

I'd also take a look at Alexander and Mapu. Both are DT's, but might have enough quickness to play DE on short yardage situation, and DT in passing situations.

If there are no FA that are desired, how would trading for a Jacksonville Jags DE sound. They drafted DerricK Harvey and Quentin Groves, while they still have four others, including Reggie Hayward and Paul Spicer. This means they have a little depth at that position. Do you think the Skins should go after Reggie Hayward or Paul Spicer?

Redskins | Mapu signs

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:42:29 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Washington Redskins signed free-agent DL J.T. Mapu Tuesday, July 22. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I am confused. He was signed back in May.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=35902

Edit: Ok, according to JLC blog he was re-signed. That makes sense now.

I am confused. He was signed back in May.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=35902

He had to have been waived at one point or another.

Redskins | Team planning to bring Mapu back

Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:43:55 -0700

Jason La Canfoa and Jason Reid, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said the team is planning to re-sign free-agent DL J.T. Mapu (Redskins).

I know for one...big time attitude problem. (per DEN). Shanahan wasnt going for it.

Isn't Simeon Rice also a free agent?

Hes obviously not a run-stopping DE, but I thought I'd throw it out there because it isn't on the list above.

I wonder why no one has shown any interest in him.

If there are no FA that are desired, how would trading for a Jacksonville Jags DE sound. They drafted DerricK Harvey and Quentin Groves, while they still have four others, including Reggie Hayward and Paul Spicer. This means they have a little depth at that position. Do you think the Skins should go after Reggie Hayward or Paul Spicer?

Lets see if one of the gets cut. I'd really rather not trade anymore picks away.

Archived