Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins in the market for another DE?

fifthorkid88

Lets see if one of the gets cut. I'd really rather not trade anymore picks away.
I feel you. I'd rather sign Mike Rucker or Brian Young at DE, but someone else brought up the fact that we should look at trade possibilities too. I also like Grady Jackson at DT as another FA.

Honestly, I dont think it is too much of a concern. Carter played well against the run, Taylor had 55 tackles last year, and if we see a little drop in run stopping this season thats alright, because the big concern is holding onto leads(and thus pass defense).

This team dominated in the first half of games last year, but lost games in the second half, not because they had problems stopping the run, but because we couldnt stop the pass. I think Evans will do fine in that role, if needed.

Honestly, I dont think it is too much of a concern. Carter played well against the run, Taylor had 55 tackles last year, and if we see a little drop in run stopping this season thats alright, because the big concern is holding onto leads(and thus pass defense).

This team dominated in the first half of games last year, but lost games in the second half, not because they had problems stopping the run, but because we couldnt stop the pass. I think Evans will do fine in that role, if needed.

I dont think the problem is with starters,you cant go against Carte and Taylor. The issue is depth. The Giants had Strahan, Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, and Kiwanuka up until his injury. They all played a major role in a successful season. Depth keeps everyone fresh thoughout games and the season. The Redskins dont have any depth. 1 more DE for depth would definitely be a plus. I'd also like to pick up a DT like Jackson.

I thought the Skins had already traded for Erasmus James. Have the Skins written this guy off already????? And I do believe the Skins drafted a rookie also. Lets see what the young and unproven talent can do first in preseason games before we go and broker the future with draft picks again on trades.

I thought the Skins had already traded for Erasmus James. Have the Skins written this guy off already????? And I do believe the Skins drafted a rookie also. Lets see what the young and unproven talent can do first in preseason games before we go and broker the future with draft picks again on trades.

They haven't written James off. They just don't want to rush him back before he is ready.

It takes a while to FULLY heal from knee surgery.

And James has had two of them. :)

That is why Taylor is here. Not only to replace Daniels, but so the Redskins and James can take their time.

They haven't written James off. They just don't want to rush him back before he is ready.

It takes a while to FULLY heal from knee surgery.

And James has had two of them. :)

That is why Taylor is here. Not only to replace Daniels, but so the Redskins and James can take their time.

Yeah I know of James injuries but the point being is we actually do have young depth behind our veteran starters. I know James will not be rushed into duty but James is on the team and I think James will be a big contributor late in the season especially at 6'4 two hundred and sixty four pounds and reunited with Palmeiro could make huge dividends for his psychic.

Yeah I know of James injuries but the point being is we actually do have young depth behind our veteran starters. I know James will not be rushed into duty but James is on the team and I think James will be a big contributor late in the season especially at 6'4 two hundred and sixty four pounds and reunited with Palmeiro could make huge dividends for his psychic.
I think the point that people are trying to make is that there is nothing behind Taylor and Carter. Demetric Evans may step up this year, but he's an unknown. Erasmus James is hurt right now along with Philip Daniels. Bringing in another DE to contribute would be a security blanket and only help. I think the targets should be Brian Young, Mike Rucker, or Grady Jackson as a clogging DT.

I think the fans have. I think the skins are simply looking for someone to take snaps in camp and during the preseason games. The skins will wait out James and if he comes back at 75% of the efficiency he had he will be miles above anyone we sign right now. If the skins do give up on James I think you will see them sign someone after cuts are made. Both Jacksonville and the Eagles will be letting a quality DE go before the season starts.

taylor only counts 7.5 mil this season, giving us about 1.5 left. i think were going to make with what we have unless we restructure (hmmm).

either way... wilson, jackson, and huntley (is that his name?), from oak, are 3 guys id like to know about more. wilson is a little thicker this year in the chest, but still looks like a speed rusher. however, the other two guys are pretty big guys. hybrid like. more so the guy from oak, hes huge.

and evans is good if hes not a starter. he can get around a guard on thirds now that we have the two ends (and/or wilson, washington).

As quick as Golston is off the ball, I wonder if he could play some DE? What about Lorenzo Alexander? He's been pretty versatile.

Another thing, just because a DE might be a little light in weight, per se, doesn't me he can't be effective against the run. Leverage and quickness off the snap accounts for a lot. Thus, unless the tackle (or blocker) gets good engagement on the run on lighter/quicker DE, the DE can cause lots of problems.

Why PD was ideal is because he didn't have Taylor's quickness, but had the strength to battle at the point of attack.

Just my :2cents:.

Peace. HTTR!!!

Are Golston and Monty both pass rushers? I thought Golston had been coming along and progressively getting better. Have we written him off as well as E. James?

Golston was asked to put on 20 pounds and move to the 2 gap, he's not as quick as he was his rookie year (and a bad move IMO). Monty is quick for a big guy, but not quick enough for DE. Evans could Move to DE on short yardage, or Alexander or Mapu could (both smaller DTs). I'd like us to get a little creative with our own guys first and see what we can do.

James needs another year to really be 100%. When Taylors' contract is up, James will be 27 and in his prime and will be in perfect position to take over. He is not forgotten about at all, and what the Taylor move does is getting him completely healed and not being brought back too soon.

Are Golston and Monty both pass rushers? I thought Golston had been coming along and progressively getting better. Have we written him off as well as E. James?

Golston is listed at 6-4 320 and has 1.5 career sacks. Monty is listed at 6-6 315 with 1.0 career sacks. Neither ever have been, nor likely will be pass rushers, especially from the end position.

Monty showed he was able to get some inside pressure more through strength than quickness (from what I could see) so he can help us on passing downs. After the weight Kedric put on he seems to be more of a classic run stuffer now than a gap shooter.

James has not been written off at all, he just isn't healthy yet. If we don't choose to PUP him he'll probably get a few snaps a game to help build his confidence but IF he becomes an impact player for us this season, I wouldn't expect it untill Novemeber or December. Knee injuries can be tricky mentally especially repeated tears.

Our scouts should definitely be exploring any possible FA/trades for ALL positions, just incase something should arise. That being said I think we are set at DE. We lose some run D with Taylor but I think as a whole we are improving the LE position. We still have Carter so our starters are set with the possibility of using Wilson and Washington as rush ends if need be. Evans is a pretty versatile player and I would ideally like to see him kick inside on passing downs. I can't recall what game it was but he made a huge play tipping a ball up after dropping into coverage which I believe Fletcher intercpeted. He's not flashy but he's good for a couple solid plays a season.

Archived