Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make a trade for Legitamate pass rusher? Thoughts?

Piledriven

What are your thoughts everyone...? Should we try to make a trade for a legit pass rusher, or wait around another year and try to snag someone via free agency or draft???

I find it to be a glaring need for this team to be successful... :2cents:

Anyhow, GO SKINS!

:point2sky

I would prefer to do it via the draft. Now, of James gets back to being healthy and can find the spark that made him a 1st rounder with his college coach now coaching the DL, we might not have to do anything. But we need a DE, and yesterday.

That, and I dont see any DE's that are worth looking at right now in FA. The few there were, got eaten up very quickly.

Erm, this is a rebuilding year. I'm really worried that some of y'all do not understand that fact and are going to be gravely disappointed. This year is not our year.

The only reason to trade for a pass rusher right now is if we are in a "win now" mode. Which we aren't. We are in rebuilding mode. So keep the young quality players and build through the draft.

Erm, this is a rebuilding year. I'm really worried that some of y'all do not understand that fact and are going to be gravely disappointed. This year is not our year.

The only reason to trade for a pass rusher right now is if we are in a "win now" mode. Which we aren't. We are in rebuilding mode. So keep the young quality players and build through the draft.

Rebuilding year based on what? Returning 22 starters? Drafting for depth rather than immediate impact? Young players expected to make strides to the next level?

Define a 'rebuilding year' in your terms re: the construction of the '08 Redskins..

I think you guys are overblowing the need. We have passrushers in Wilson and Washington. We have a bunch of young guys that we don't even know what kind of impact that they can have yet.

Course, I don't think you are talking about a "pass rusher", but a stud DE regular who can rush the passer on a regular basis. Those guys are usually treasured by their teams and don't change hands all that often.

Jason

I dont think the need is dire for a Pass Rusher. I think we have more of a problem at DB. WHEN Springs goes down with injury this year, we will need more then a half busted Carlos Rogers to help Smooter out. My hope is that we can bring someone in as an insurance policy. Id pay for Ty Law this year over Jason Taylor or Favre this year.

I dont think the need is dire for a Pass Rusher. I think we have more of a problem at DB. WHEN Springs goes down with injury this year, we will need more then a half busted Carlos Rogers to help Smooter out. My hope is that we can bring someone in as an insurance policy. Id pay for Ty Law this year over Jason Taylor or Favre this year.

Springs never went down last year, so the "when" is a bit amusing.

Jason

Rebuilding year based on what? Returning 22 starters? Drafting for depth rather than immediate impact? Young players expected to make strides to the next level?

Define a 'rebuilding year' in your terms re: the construction of the '08 Redskins..

Are you serious? I mean, it so obvious that I almost feel like its a trick question.

Let's see:

1. Arguably a new GM who wants to put his stamp on things;

2. New Head Coach who has never coached before;

3. New Offense and Offensive philosophy that is different than previous version;

4. New Defensive Coach and new defensive philosophy;

5. 3 New pass catchers who are necessary to the success of our new offense but who need time to develop; and

6. A young and still struggling QB who needs to grasp the new offense and show consistency before we commit to him long term.

The last one is probably the biggest reason we are building.

We have to make a decision after this season with respect to whether we are going to committ to Jason long term or go in another diection. That decision is going to be based on whether he can show the necessary improvement and consistency to be a long term starter in this offense.

If we are in a win now mode, then we wouldn't have taken an unproven hail mary shot with Zorn. If we are in a win now mode, we would pursuing Favre. If we are in a win now mode, we would have gone after more line help.

In defense of the above poster, rebuilding may be a bit strong but we are under a new first-year head coach. While people have high expectations, to realistically expect to improve on last year's results is a bit of wishful thinking.

After year one of the Zorn era we'll have a better idea of what tools are needed to make the engine run. I wouldn't say rebuilding but it's a changing of the guard and while anything can happen (Superbowl), it doesn't make sense to ramp up and invest resources when there are so many questions.

Unknown or still murky:

Zorn as HC

Zorn as playcaller

Campbell at QB

Integration of two rookie WRs into a new offense

Injured players on mend (rocky, rogers)

New defensive coordinator... will he get more from less caliber players?

Will relying on smoke and mirrors less and athletic talent more work for this group of player?

I think this year is about being competative while installing the mentality/philosophy of Zorn. I wouldn't start trading future picks until we gather more information about what we'll need under Zorn... hell, we don't even know if he'll be the coach the following year.

(I think he will)

Springs never went down last year, so the "when" is a bit amusing.

Jason

Eh, its my opinion that Springs is unreliable. He had one pretty healthy season last year, and you care to call him an Ironman? Glad I could amuse you, and thank you for doing the same in thinking he is sooooo durable. :silly:

I wouldn't exactly say we're in a rebuilding year, personally. To me, a rebuilding year is where the team is basically starting from scratch, with no or little players from the previous team returning. The Falcons are in a rebuilding year, for example. So are the Dolphins. I'd say the Redskins, returning 22 starters, are more in a transition year, with the new offense and defense. The talent from last years team is there, it's just undergoing changes with a few new players added in the mix.

I guess it depends on your definition, but that's how I see it. To me, rebuilding means "Expect a god-awful, top ten pick" kind of year. I see us closer to the 7-9 win range rather than that. :2cents:

so what you're saying is that you're a half glass full kinda guy?

:rolleyes:

would have been nice if the one was drafted instead taking 2 WRs

Not sure if you read any of the stuff Vinny and Zorny said after the draft, but their DE's for the first few rounds were off the board. Yes, there were still some left when we COULD have picked in the first, but they decided it wasn't worth it.

Guess thats why they are doing what they do and you aren't. :silly:

Are you serious? I mean, it so obvious that I almost feel like its a trick question.

Let's see:

1. Arguably a new GM who wants to put his stamp on things;

2. New Head Coach who has never coached before;

3. New Offense and Offensive philosophy that is different than previous version;

4. New Defensive Coach and new defensive philosophy;

5. 3 New pass catchers who are necessary to the success of our new offense but who need time to develop; and

6. A young and still struggling QB who needs to grasp the new offense and show consistency before we commit to him long term.

The last one is probably the biggest reason we are building.

We have to make a decision after this season with respect to whether we are going to committ to Jason long term or go in another diection. That decision is going to be based on whether he can show the necessary improvement and consistency to be a long term starter in this offense.

If we are in a win now mode, then we wouldn't have taken an unproven hail mary shot with Zorn. If we are in a win now mode, we would pursuing Favre. If we are in a win now mode, we would have gone after more line help.

You must work for a national publication and have no idea on what's going on at RP..

#1-Cerrato has been here for nearly 10 years, he's been involved in the decision making before and yes, this is his first foray into being 'the guy' but 'putting his stamp on the team' meant leaving it virtually untouched.

#2-I didn't realize Zorn never coached before. Was he lead custodian in Seattle the past 11 years? Were the Steelers rebuilding last year with a rookie coach? How about the Saints in '06? I'll take a 'rebuilding year' like they had..

#3-New offensive philosophy I agree with you on, but most of our key playmakers have played in a WCO before so it's not completely foreign territory to them..

#4-A defensive coach who has been on staff and built most of the defense (if you listen to what the players have been saying ALL OFFSEASON) running the same exact defense as the last 4 years..

#5-3 new pass catchers who are expected to be NO BETTER than #3 receiving options this season.. Yes there will be bumps, but they are not expected or needed to become #1 WR this year..

#6-A young developing (struggling?) QB, with a coach who has developed a perennial pro bowl QB that is tailoring the system to his strengths..

Maybe I am seeing things thru maroon and black colored glasses, but I am a glass half full type of guy as opposed to a glass with a big ass crack down the side type.. I don't know that we're in a 'win now' mode, rather a 'we can win now while building' mode.. Teams with 4th year QB and young proven playmakers (Cooley, Portis, Landry, Moss) aren't 'rebuilding'..

would have been nice if the one was drafted instead taking 2 WRs

So you would rather the coaches draft a DE who they don't feel to strongly about, than to draft 2 WR they are very happy with?

Yea. That makes sense.

Some people.

:rolleyes:

Atl, Mia and KC are in a rebuilding year.

Skins were in the playoffs twice in the last 4 years... the team is being build to win and win soon. Now this year might be optimistic, but year 2 and 3 of the new HC should be looked at as potential SB runs.

The biggest problem is that we play in the hardest division in football, no matter how good skins are.. the other 3 teams are all very good as well.

The lines will need to be addressed in the draft for a few years to come.

There are really no other positions other than perhaps LB and CB that warrant great attention in the draft, unless we are forced to draft a QB high in the next few years.

You must work for a national publication and have no idea on what's going on at RP..

#1-Cerrato has been here for nearly 10 years, he's been involved in the decision making before and yes, this is his first foray into being 'the guy' but 'putting his stamp on the team' meant leaving it virtually untouched.

LOL, I was going to say the exact same thing. And to the gentleman that implied that he is a glass-half-empty kind of guy, you are halfway off. He's a glass fully empty kind of guy.

Sorry we aren't rebuilding. We are just changing the map. Is it the right one? We'll know soon enough. If Zorn is a good head coach we will do well. If he's not we won't.

Expecting Zorn to take rookie playmakers on offense and an older defense at certain key spots and turn this into a Super Bowl team in 2008 is a big stretch.

He is a first year coach on a team that was 5-7 before winning its final four after the death of Sean Taylor.

Give the guy a break.

What are your thoughts everyone...? Should we try to make a trade for a legit pass rusher, or wait around another year and try to snag someone via free agency or draft???

I find it to be a glaring need for this team to be successful... :2cents:

Anyhow, GO SKINS!

:point2sky

i think its a great idea. here is my suggestion....

2009 7th round draft pick to oakland for warren sapp

and...and

we will send piledriven to the raiders fan site

Don't you realize that when you have a solid pass rushing D-Line that it can make your DBs A LOT BETTER!

You could have 2 Sean Taylors and 2 Champ Baileys back in the defensive backfield and if you give an average QB all day long to throw the ball, he will pick you apart... But like the Giants showed last year in the Super Bowl, if you put consistant pressure on a great QB, your defense can generate big plays to win ball games!

:2cents:

Archived