Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man-Crush update:Jesse Lumsden

BALLz

Wouldn't "downhill" be toward the end zone, not toward the sidelines?

Due to the curvature of the jet stream that far north, and interference from the northern lights, downhill actually goes towards the sidelines in Canada. Cliff Claven could explain it in more detail.

• 2 weeks later...
He's already missed a game with an injury....and weren't injuries the same issues he had in washington and Seattle?

You gotta stay healthy when you're a long shot....

Washington, Seattle, and Indy if i am correct. Can he play any MLB?

UUMMMMMMM. I have been pissed since the day we cut this guy. With my head in the noose I will say that "from what I saw" he is a better back the cp or betts. Yea I said it. This dude is fast, quick and just truck people and runs with an effort you rarely see in the NFL. For those of you who watched him the the preseason of 2006(I think) You know what I mean. Just Ridiculous that we let this talent just walk away.

Because the CFL is an entirely different game. The field is wider, hence the formations are wider and spread out, which means you have more room between the O-linemen. Granted they have 12 men on the field, but in the NFL, you have to run between the linemen, with a narrower field, the gaps close sooner and there is less room to run. Alot more traps and draws in the CFL. With only 3 downs, how often will the defense be keying on the run?

I was always curious why Lumsden, who looked good in a scrimmage against the Ravens, never saw the field during the preseason games. He must have pissed off the coaches or didn't look too good during TC practices. I can't think of any other reason why he wouldn't at least get a look during exhibition games.

I think he suffered an injury in training camp(can't remember what it was) and was not really able to get into any of the games or recover from it. He may have even got an injury settlement.

UUMMMMMMM. I have been pissed since the day we cut this guy. With my head in the noose I will say that "from what I saw" he is a better back the cp or betts. Yea I said it. This dude is fast, quick and just truck people and runs with an effort you rarely see in the NFL. For those of you who watched him the the preseason of 2006(I think) You know what I mean. Just Ridiculous that we let this talent just walk away.

Looks like we found the President of the Lumsden Fan Club.

Riiiiiiiigggghhhhtttt..... better then CP AND Betts, yet we let talent like him just walk away..... and so did Seattle and Indy. Yep, we had a chance to land the white Barry Sanders and we decided..... "Eh, im good on that, we will keep the far less superior CP and Betts."

This is just crazy. Seriously, the only reason im even posting in this thread is because my only other option right now is to talk about injuries. Lumsden hasnt been here in two years and people still cant get his name out of their mouth.

Jesse Lumsden is not an NFL caliber RB. He would be the best guy for that pick up game at your old highschool on Thanksgiving day, but not an NFL back. The three NFL teams he tried out for, he got injured trying out for. I believe each of the injuries was to the same place, a hip flexor. Thats what did him in here, and in Indy, though im not 100% on what did him in in Seattle. Regardless, he has been given ample chance to crack a roster in this league and could not do it. Washington didn let him "walk away", if anything he limped away holding his hip flexor after we showed him the door.

Damn you Jesse Lumsden, you haunt my offseasons.

I was always curious why Lumsden, who looked good in a scrimmage against the Ravens, never saw the field during the preseason games. He must have pissed off the coaches or didn't look too good during TC practices. I can't think of any other reason why he wouldn't at least get a look during exhibition games.

NFL politics. its the sad but true story for so many guys who have played in the CFL, regardless if your American or Canadian. Jesse has the added burden of being Canadian and palying his College ball in Canada as well.

From the articel in the original post: Lumsden, a former Canadian College sensation with McMaster who wasn’t drafted into the NFL but had a free agent shot with both the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins. His failure to stick, Armour suggests, has much more to do with the politics of NFL football and less about Lumsden’s skills.

“It surprises me but there’s a lot of favour*itism down there,” said Armour, who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1999.

“I was lucky to get four years in (in the NFL) and fortunate to have coaches down there who liked me.”

For the past 10 years it seems like every CFl team had at least one guy who joined the roster after being cut by an NFL team, and most of the time the story goes like this: "you outplayed the others at your position in camp, why did they cut you?" simple answer is if your drafted or just an NFL vet, regardless of the round, the people who drafted you have a vested interest in seeing you well. Nobobdy fires a GM or a scout for an UFA who doesn't make the team. So the UFA not only has to play slightly better than the guy who's spot he might be taking, he needs to play well above the draft picks level in order for the team to justify cutting their draft pick/veteran.

They are being very careful with Lumsden this year, he already sat out one game and they barely used him in his first game back. When Hamilton does decide to put him on the field, he is a monster that makes the offense go. If he stays healthy, he could destroy all of CFL rushing records, for both single season and career totals.

Washington, Seattle, and Indy if i am correct. Can he play any MLB?

His dad was a star FB in the CFL. He has good football pedigree and in general is a great athlete. The knock on him coming out of college was he couldn't block, but how often do you ask your star running back who is averaging more than 7 YPC to block? Well, when he was in camp Gibbs said one of the things he was most impressed with was his blocking.

Bottom line, the kid could probably play anywhere due to his size and speed if given the chance, but to my knowledge, he has always been RB. He has also stated that he would prefer to play RB over any other position.

Riiiiiiiigggghhhhtttt..... better then CP AND Betts, yet we let talent like him just walk away..... and so did Seattle and Indy. Yep, we had a chance to land the white Barry Sanders and we decided..... "Eh, im good on that, we will keep the far less superior CP and Betts."

This is just crazy. Seriously, the only reason im even posting in this thread is because my only other option right now is to talk about injuries. Lumsden hasnt been here in two years and people still cant get his name out of their mouth.

Jesse Lumsden is not an NFL caliber RB. He would be the best guy for that pick up game at your old highschool on Thanksgiving day, but not an NFL back. The three NFL teams he tried out for, he got injured trying out for. I believe each of the injuries was to the same place, a hip flexor. Thats what did him in here, and in Indy, though im not 100% on what did him in in Seattle. Regardless, he has been given ample chance to crack a roster in this league and could not do it. Washington didn let him "walk away", if anything he limped away holding his hip flexor after we showed him the door.

Damn you Jesse Lumsden, you haunt my offseasons.

First off, Jesse was signed by the Seahawks the day after the 2005 draft, had a hip pointer which kept him out of practice early on which made him an early cut. He was offered a 1 year deal with Indy but took Washington's 2 year deal instead after playing half a seson in the CFL.

AS for not being an NFL caliber running back, I guess you think Ryan Moats and Ryan Grant aren't good enough to play in the NFL either. Lumsden outplayed both of those 2 now NFl running backs-one being a starter BTW in the 2005 Shrine game. Jesse led all RB with 41 yards rushing on 5 carries ( that's a 8.2 YPC) and had the most impressive play in the game when he bounced off a LB and dragged 3 guys for 5 yards before they brought him down on his 21 yard run-the longest of the game. Grant had more than 10 carries and couldn't come close to those numbers.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=2173855815150325372&q=jesse+lumsden&ei=BeORSOCFHZeQ-QG6r6T_Bw&hl=en

But ignorant fools like yourself think since he is from Canada and never played division IA football he must be a stiff. Do I think he is better than CP, no but I do think given the chance he could be a great #2 back or even a starter on a weaker team. I equate Jesse Lumsden to a guy like Lamont Jordan, a good starting back, but you would drop him if a blue chipper came along.

Before you commenton Jesse again, I suggest you watch him play, and not at a training camp or NFL scrimmage casue lets face it, thats not real football.

But ignorant fools like yourself think since he is from Canada and never played division IA football he must be a stiff. Do I think he is better than CP, no but I do think given the chance he could be a great #2 back or even a starter on a weaker team. I equate Jesse Lumsden to a guy like Lamont Jordan, a good starting back, but you would drop him if a blue chipper came along.

Before you commenton Jesse again, I suggest you watch him play, and not at a training camp or NFL scrimmage casue lets face it, thats not real football.

Ok, I can see you are a Canadian and I have obviously struck a nerve and have your maple syrup flowing. I apologize if Mr. Lumsden doesnt impress me. All those stats you throw at me about his CFL career, this that and the third, doesnt impress me. Why not? Simple.He hasnt done squat in the NFL to prove he is worth the air you use in singing his praises. Do I think Ryan Grant is better then Jesse Lumsden? Yep, I think he is a better NFL caliber runningback. Why do I think that? He has shown it on an NFL Level.

In the CFL Jesse is a big fish in a small talent pool. He runs through defensive lines of mediocre talent overall, combine that with a larger field to open up bigger holes, he is gonna accrue yards. Im not impressed. In the NFL, he is a small small fish in a much larger pool of talent at EVERY position. In this environment, he has not shown much.

He has had ample chance to impress at the NFL level and has always come up with a hip flexor. Do you think that Seattle, Indy and Washington would all let him go if they thought he was quality? Do you think that if any of those teams lost a RB (Ahem..... Seattle this offseason) that if they thought he wsa sooo good that they would give him a call and ask him to come back to the big league? Seattle would rather have Julius Jones and TJ Duckett then even ask Lumsden to come back. :::crickets chirping::: Im not saying he isnt a CFL stud, Im not saying he doesnt have potential, but even saying he has potential, damn dude, when will that potential translate to the NFL? How old is he? He isnt getting any younger, and the more he plays in the CFL, the more wear and tear his body takes. If he is the real deal like you claim, then he should be able to make it on the big stage, the NFL.

Ryan Grant and Mike Sellers are better then Lumsden because they have made a name for themself on the biggest stage in football. They may not have done as much in the CFL, but they have done alot where it counts.

Your post was almost perfect though. You objected to my post and provided your reasoning why you didnt like what I have to say and it was written eloquently enough for me to see where you are coming from. It sounds like you know Jesse almost. You showed your lack of maturity though when you called me an ignorant fool, and all crediblity was lost. You see, its Ok to attack my post, but it isnt Ok to attack me. That's something little children do when they dont have anything intelligent left to say. Grow up sir. I dont have to share your views. I hope your parenting skills are better then that and your kids dont follow your example. At the point of your insult, i stopped putting any relevence behind anything you had to say lost respect for your mindless rant. The bottom line is Lumsden isnt good enough to make an NFL team dispite his best hip flexing efforts, so cry, insult, or make excuses for him all you want, it wont get him an NFL contract.

Anyways, look back through my posting history. I used to like Lumsden, was a fan of the underdog when he first got here. Go ahead and look. I was a fan until every Canadian come onto ExtremeSkins proclaiming his Godliness. Overkill from the north. Give it up, or tone it down until he actually does something of merit in the NFL.

Well he didn't do good enough in "not real football." What do you think woulda happened in real football?

:laugh:

NFL politics. its the sad but true story for so many guys who have played in the CFL, regardless if your American or Canadian. Jesse has the added burden of being Canadian and palying his College ball in Canada as well.

From the articel in the original post: Lumsden, a former Canadian College sensation with McMaster who wasn’t drafted into the NFL but had a free agent shot with both the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins. His failure to stick, Armour suggests, has much more to do with the politics of NFL football and less about Lumsden’s skills.

“It surprises me but there’s a lot of favour*itism down there,” said Armour, who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1999.

“I was lucky to get four years in (in the NFL) and fortunate to have coaches down there who liked me.”

For the past 10 years it seems like every CFl team had at least one guy who joined the roster after being cut by an NFL team, and most of the time the story goes like this: "you outplayed the others at your position in camp, why did they cut you?" simple answer is if your drafted or just an NFL vet, regardless of the round, the people who drafted you have a vested interest in seeing you well. Nobobdy fires a GM or a scout for an UFA who doesn't make the team. So the UFA not only has to play slightly better than the guy who's spot he might be taking, he needs to play well above the draft picks level in order for the team to justify cutting their draft pick/veteran.

They are being very careful with Lumsden this year, he already sat out one game and they barely used him in his first game back. When Hamilton does decide to put him on the field, he is a monster that makes the offense go. If he stays healthy, he could destroy all of CFL rushing records, for both single season and career totals.

This Armour guy is a jackass. Anyone heard of Warren Moon? Mark Rypien? Mike Vanderjagt? Hells Bells, our very own Chris Wilson? You either make the team or you don't. What kind of fool thinks NFL teams would risk not making a SB or improving their teams because a guy was born/played/went to school in Canada? Armour is spewing sour grapes because he couldn't cut it enough to put in 10 years and get his pension. Seriously, you keep the best talent, and jettison the rest. You're either good or you're not. Politics my ass. Why does Goodell want to go global and have REGULAR season games in other countries (Hello? Toronto?) if there was some kind of conspiracy? What a jackoff. :doh:

Archived