Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody watching Cornerback tandoms on NFL network?

F-16 CHIEF

Are you trying to suggest that qbs liked to throw at him.....therefore he had more interceptions?

I have seen some crazy things on this board......that is a new one.

To be honest with you, QBs hated it, because it's all about stats to most players. Coaches loved "challenging" Deon because he was 50/50 in coverage. Yes, if he got one, there was a great chance he was gone with it for a pick 6. However, look at the other side, if he didn't get the pick and didn't have safety help, he was burned, because he wouldn't tackle someone on the high school debate team's bench.

Watch films of him and tell me I'm wrong then. DG was not the first either, as others have stated, however DG was 100 times the corner Sanders was.

I love Green to death but would rather have Deion on my roster.

Didnt we have both on this roster, and darrell was better than Deion when put together

I think the OP said teh first shutdwon corner, and DG was a shutdown corner before Deion but their was shut down guys before him.

Most media NFL "experts" can't remember what they had for breakfast yesterday and weren't alive to see the great corners of the past in any case. Herb Adderley wasn't a shut-down corner for the Lombardi Packers? Sure. Mike Haynes? Mel Blount? Dick Lane? Yeah, they're in the HOF because you could throw on them all day.

Let me be clear, I hate the Raiders with the white hot passion of a thousand suns and Hayes and Haynes are still the best corner tandem I have ever seen.

And, for the record, Darrell would have easily had over 100 INTs and put that record out of reach forever except that he has hands of stone. Ask anyone who ever played with Darrell or even Darrell himself and he will tell you that if Darrell could catch, he would have caught a pick almost every damned game. If you don't remember the 1983 season, your opinion carries no weight in the Deion vs. Darrell issue.

Deion was a great cover corner, and that is what CBs are paid to do, cover. But his myth has grown all out of proportion with his actual play. Take a look at the shellacking we put on them in 1991 with Deion at corner. Week 11, we beat the Falcons 56 to 17 and averged 14.1 yards per catch and 451 yards receiving vs, only 108 yards rushing at a 3.0 ypc average. Wow, Deion really shut down half of the field, huh? Deion was as dangerous as any man who ever played in terms of going the distance with the ball in his hands. However, his coverage ability in his prime was no better than a fair number of guys who have played HOF-caliber ball at CB. Make no mistake, the HOF-caliber guys (including those not in the HOF like Pat Fischer) are Deion's peer group but to say he is head and shoulders better than those guys is nothing but revisionist history.

anyone ever hear of Night Train Lane?

some "experts" are idiots

Richard "Dick" Lane (April 16, 1928 – January 29, 2002), nicknamed "Night Train", was an American football player, best known as a defensive back for the Detroit Lions. He is often remembered for his play during his rookie season in 1952. That year, Lane established the record for most interceptions in an NFL season (14).

In 1952, the 24-year-old Lane showed up at the Los Angeles Rams training camp looking for a job because he disliked his current occupation at an aircraft factory. While with the Rams, he acquired the nickname "Night Train" from a hit record by Buddy Morrow frequently played by his teammate Tom Fears. He initially didn't like the nickname but it grew on him after it gained national attention. It first appeared in print describing a tackle in a Rams exhibition game: Dick "Night Train" Lane derails Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice. He wore number 81, unusual for a defensive back, because he was initially projected as an end. The ends playing in front of him on the Rams, Tom Fears and Elroy Hirsch, were stars and future Hall of Famers, so Coach Joe Stydahar tried Lane at defensive back, and a legend was born.

In his rookie season he set an NFL single season record for interceptions with 14, which stands to this day. He was traded to the Chicago Cardinals in 1954 and to the Detroit Lions in 1960, where he played through the end of his career in 1965. From 1954 to 1963, Lane made the All-Pro team 6 times and was selected to 7 Pro Bowls. He recorded 3 interceptions in all but 4 of his 14 NFL seasons.

He was particularly noted as a hard hitter, who liked to tackle by the head and neck (a technique outlawed today). This tackle was sometimes called a Night Train Necktie.

Honors

Lane was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1974. In 1969 he was named the best cornerback of the first fifty years of pro football. In his 15 NFL seasons, Lane recorded 68 interceptions, 1,207 interception return yards, 5 touchdowns, 11 fumble recoveries, 57 fumble return yards, 1 touchdown, 8 receptions, 253 receiving yards, 1 touchdown catch, and 4 punt returns for 14 yards.

In 1999, he was ranked number 19 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranked defensive back, the Cardinals' highest-ranked player and the Lions' second highest-ranked player behind Barry Sanders.

I will say that you are wrong about Deion being burned 50% of the time. You are only going off of his time here in Washington. The two most gifted, unbelievable talents I have ever seen on a football field were both named Sanders, Barry and Deion. Nobody is saying that there weren't other corners who were great but he is undoubtedly the best. You guys haven't even mentioned the 2nd best ever in Rod Woodson and Mel Blount barely gets a nod. It as not a knock on Darrell to say that he wasn't quite as good as Deion, because somebody has to be #1. I'd put Darrell in the top 5 all time and I think 4 is a good number. The program was pretty good I thought with Ross and Lewis from K.C. making the list and Minnifield and Dixon from Cleveland coming in at #2. It also was refreshing to remember that before Ronnie Lott was the greatest safety to ever play in the NFL he was a pretty damn good corner at first.

1. Prime Time

2. Rod Woodson

3. Mel Blount

4. Darrell Green

5. Night Train Lane

Stop being HOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deion is the best cb in NFL history, point blank.

Anybody else see the show?

TOP 10 cb Tandems....

DEION made Number 7

-Deion Sanders and ANYBODY ELSE was the tandem.

-shows how much respect he has.

Deion is the best cb in NFL history, point blank..

:rolleyes:

1. Deion couldn't tackle, which kind of takes the luster off the "best cb in the NFL ever" nonsense

2. The point of argument was there wasn't a so called "shut down" cornerback...before Sanders which is completely false

3. Just because these so called "experts" say something doesn't make it so....

4. What does being a "homer" have anything to do with proving that there were "shutdown cb" before Deion? Heck he was even a Redskin for a year

Deion is one of the best cover corners of all time and maybe the worst tackling corner of all time. For Christ sake a QB ran him over, I believe it was Scott Mitchell when he played for the Lions. Darrell Green was also a great cover corner, Deion was not the first shut down corner. I would take Green over Sanders any day of the week, Sanders may be better, but he is also a punk. Green was great and didn't have to tell everybody he was great. Green was also loyal to one team for 20 years. Deion would switch teams at the drop of a hat, who ever paid the most got his loyalty. 20 years in the league is unreal, but for a corner its unheard of that tells you something about his ability right there and I gurantee Green was better on his 20th year than Deion was on his 14th.

Deion the FIRST shutdown CB? Give me a freakin' break.

I guess Night Train Lane and Mel Blount never played.

Going by McD5's standards of using only one single stat to measure a player, Paul Krause is the best shutdown corner ever, holding the record for career INTs (81). He also came well before Deion's time.

TOP 10 cb Tandems....

DEION made Number 7

Lane, Blount, Renfro all better than Deion.

TOP 10 cb Tandems....

DEION made Number 7

Beacuse you have seen them all play right? The hours you must have spent watching game film of Night Train, Lester Hayes, Mel Blount :doh:

Sanders was a top 5 cover corner all time, but he was a liability in run support and that, for me, drops him out of the top 5 all time corners.

I'll take the middle ground and say that both sides are right on this.

Deion is NOT the first "shutdown corner". There are plenty of great corners who filled the role of "shutdown corner" long before Deion was around. That NFL Network top ten tandum's even highlighted many of them.

However, I will say that I do believe Deion was the first player referred to as a "shutdown corner" in the media. The term has gained traction and is thrown out alot today and I do think it started with Deion. I do not remember that term being used for Darrell or Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes etc. Not because they weren't, just because the term wasn't being used.

It's sort of like "West Coast Offense". That offense didn't come into being with the 49ers in the 80's (when the phrase was coined), it existed before them but it just wasn't called "the west coast offense".

Okay, there's some things to look at here. DG played in a little bit of a run first era. Less chances.

He had many games where he wasn't thrown at the entire game. THE ENTIRE GAME. Deion had great numbers, but he was also torched on a regular basis. DG was much more consistent. I would take DG in his prime anyday over Deion. He could tackle and he was a run stopper. Deion is neither.

That's inaccurate.. Yes the 80's an early 90's were a tad bit run heavy, but he played until 2002.. He was very much appart of the pass happy NFL and yes he was a shut down corner. Only reason he didn't have more chances is because people just wouldn't throw at him. Deion had the highlights and that's what a lot of people remember, but imo.. Darrel did it better, longer and with more class than Deion.

Deoin Sanders played for the cowboys thats why he gets so much love. They hype up cowboy players far more then redskins. Darrel Green didnt start losing the Michael Irving battles til he was an old man.He won cover battles against Rice, Irvin, Charlie Joiner, Carter, James Lofton, Andre Reed, Tim Brown Marvin Harrisson. Each one is in the Hall of Fame or likely headed for enshrinement

If I had to pick one play that most perfectly illustrated DG's career, it would be that amazing tackle from behind of Tony Dorsett in Darrell's rookie season. That one highlight play made every offensive coordinator who faced the Redskins go back to the books to account for this phenomonal new force in the NFL, and it stayed that way for most of Green's incredible career.

If I picked one for Deion, it would be the pick-6 he made against Atlanta, an illustration of how easy he made the game look with his remarkable talents. As proof that the good Lord has a keen sense of humor, Deion injured himself high-stepping past the Falcon bench as he taunted his former teammates on his way in for the TD.

That pretty much answers which one of those two I'd want on my team.

Archived