Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walterfootball.com: 2008 NFL Offseason Page, Washington Redskins

Audible_Red40

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2008was.php

Washington Redskins (Last Year: 9-7)

2008 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:

DE Erasmus James, DT Matthias Askew, S Stuart Schweigert.

Draft Picks:

QB Colt Brennan, WR Devin Thomas, WR Malcolm Kelly, TE Fred Davis, G/OT Chad Rinehart, DE Rob Jackson, CB Justin Tryon, S Kareem Moore, S Chris Horton, P Durant Brooks.

Offseason Losses:

QB Mark Brunell, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Reche Caldwell, WR Keenan McCardell, WR Mike Espy, WR Steven Harris, TE Brian Kozlowski, OT Ross Tucker, OT Kevin Sampson, G Rick DeMulling, G Mike Pucillo, OLB Rian Wallace, ILB Randall Godfrey, CB David Macklin, S Pierson Prioleau, S Omar Stoutmire, KR Jerome Mathis.

2008 Washington Redskins Offense:

I'm never a big fan of having an established quarterback learn a brand new offense. Just look at Alex Smith. As Emmitt Smith stated earlier this year, Alex Smith learns four new offenses every year. No wonder he sucks so much.

With Jim Zorn replacing the retired Joe Gibbs as head coach, the Redskins will be running the same West Coast offense that Matt Hasselbeck operates in Seattle. The big difference is that Hasselbeck was drafted by the Green Bay Packers and consequently had to learn that system as soon as he signed his first NFL contract. While the transition could be beneficial in the long run, I have to believe Campbell'sprogress will "be a slowed down," as our good friend Emmitt would say.

It's a shame too, because Campbell was looking more and more promising as the 2007 campaign went on. While Campbell began the year slowly (12-of-21, two interceptions against Miami in Week 1; 16-of-34 for 190 yards versus the Giants in Week 3; 12-of-23 for 142 yards and a pick at the Jets in Week 9), something clicked for him against the Eagles on Nov. 11, and he thrived from that point on. In his final five contests of the year, Campbell completed 61.6 percent of his passes and maintained a 6-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Two of the picks came against one of the top defenses in the league (Tampa Bay). Campbell also nearly led an improbable comeback at Dallas, as he totaled 348 yards against the Cowboys' secondary.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

There is no denying that changing systems for a young QB can be hindering. But Campbell, unlike Alex Smith, seems to be a lot more reseliant and athletic. The coordinators in San Fran (including Martz...look at Detroit) have not been great. I think Campbell is in a much better position with better coaching and receivers, oline, running backs and defense.

Extremely well thought out post. Haven't read that site often in the past, but may go more often. Much better analysis than some of the "Should we pick up ???" stuff that goes on here. And the fact is, he's pretty spot on with just about everything, though I think we'll be a game or two better than 8-8.

Extremely well thought out post. Haven't read that site often in the past, but may go more often. Much better analysis than some of the "Should we pick up ???" stuff that goes on here. And the fact is, he's pretty spot on with just about everything, though I think we'll be a game or two better than 8-8.

really???

I thought it was very generic...and borderline common sense...

really???

I thought it was very generic...and borderline common sense...

Co-sign.

I will say that I don't think the critics are giving Campbell enough credit though. There just seems to be something about him that encourages me.

Veteran Additions:

DE Erasmus James, DT Matthias Askew, S Stuart Schweigert.

Offseason Losses:

QB Mark Brunell, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Reche Caldwell, WR Keenan McCardell, WR Mike Espy, WR Steven Harris, TE Brian Kozlowski, OT Ross Tucker, OT Kevin Sampson, G Rick DeMulling, G Mike Pucillo, OLB Rian Wallace, ILB Randall Godfrey, CB David Macklin, S Pierson Prioleau, S Omar Stoutmire.

We should be able to get a few more compensation picks out of that mess, shouldn't we?...

There has been talk that the Redskins plan on moving Springs to free safety, but how can that happen if he's not practicing?
I don't remember reading this anywhere, is this true?
2008 Washington Redskins Analysis: There are a lot of things that are going to bump the Redskins out of a playoff berth in 2008. First, Jason Campbell needs to learn the West Coast offense. Second, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and Fred Davis need time to develop as potent targets for Campbell. Third, Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers will be limited coming off nasty knee injuries. Fourth, Jim Zorn lacks experience as a head coach.

Luckily, all of these issues can be remedied with time, so watch out for Washington in 2009. Once Campbell learns, the young receivers improve, the defenders heal and Zorn matures, the Redskins will be a dominant force in the NFC.

Projection: 8-8 (TBA in NFC East)

As much as this makes sense I still think we will be better then 8-8. I think with all the talent we have the potential of an 11-5 season. Portis and Campbell both have WCO expierience and both thrived in it but then again who knows how Zorn will do with play calling and how fast they get the offense down. The players seem to feel pretty confident about what they are seeing though which makes me feel like they will get it down pretty quick.

As for the defense, as the article states the defense really stepped it up at the end of the season only allowing 14 points per game when before that it was 19.4 ppg. I know it's not a huge difference but the fact they did it without McIntosh or Rogers who's to say it won't carry over into this season.

Here's to an 11-5 season! :cheers: (hopefully)

Good article. Enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting it

WOW! He REALLY doesn't like Colt Brennan.

Anyway, It's not a bad read. I diagree with some things and agree with others. I think he's underrating Campbell and I'm not sure I agree with his statement about our D-Line being the strenght of our defense. I also didn't think Rocky tore both ligaments, but I could be wrong about that.

I agree with his overall analysis and certainly think he's dead on when he discusses the possible levels our offense will reach in 2009 after a full season of maturing.

Not sure why he missed Cooley in his fantasy analysis.

He forgot about Kedrick Gholston.

.....and Stuart Schweigert.

His analysis of "learning a new offense" forgot to mention that the running game is identical to the one we've been using for the last 2 years. So when he comments on our Offensive Line with regards to the running game, he's way off.

Bad Moves: I mentioned that I don't like two things the Redskins did. Well, one was something they didn't do. I can't believe they failed to acquire a defensive end prior to the seventh round. I guess they weren't paying attention when the rival Giants stormed through the playoffs ... Picking Colt Brennan automatically prohibits me from giving Washington anything higher than a B. I've listed six reasons why drafting Brennan was a mistake:

1. Throws Like a Girl: Brennan has weaker arm strength than any quarterback who was drafted. If Brennan even attempts to throw the out, he'll continuously get picked off. Think Chad Pennington (post injury) and imagine an even weaker throwing motion.

2. Troubled Past: The average fan doesn't know this, but Brennan was once a quarterback at Colorado. He was kicked off the team because he was charged with sexual assault. He spent seven days in jail. Do you want this guy running your offense?

3. Tom Thumb: Brennan is 6-2, 201. Pretty small for a quarterback. There have been quite a few tiny signal callers in the NFL before, but none of them had a...

4. Side-Armed Delivery: Rich Gannon threw side-armed, but he wasn't 6-2. Because Brennan is short, his side-armed release point will be even lower. This will result in a lot of batted balls at the line of scrimmage.

5. Bad Teammate: When Brennan struggled at his Pro Day, he actually had the nerve to blame his receivers. You can probably Google the interview with Scout.com if you want to find out what he said.

6. He's 25: Well, almost 25. Brennan will reach the quarter-century mark on Aug. 16. Kind of old for a rookie quarterback, huh?

But he put up great stats! Yeah, so did Timmy Chang. How's he doing? June Jones' offense is designed to do that. Put any other seventh-round quarterback (i.e. Matt Flynn, Alex Brink, etc.) in Hawaii's offense and they would have put up similar (or better) numbers.

I hope you understand now why I gave the Redskins a Z for picking Brennan. I'll be shocked if he makes an NFL roster.

Bad Moves: I mentioned that I don't like two things the Redskins did. Well, one was something they didn't do. I can't believe they failed to acquire a defensive end prior to the seventh round. I guess they weren't paying attention when the rival Giants stormed through the playoffs ... Picking Colt Brennan automatically prohibits me from giving Washington anything higher than a B. I've listed six reasons why drafting Brennan was a mistake:

1. Throws Like a Girl: Brennan has weaker arm strength than any quarterback who was drafted. If Brennan even attempts to throw the out, he'll continuously get picked off. Think Chad Pennington (post injury) and imagine an even weaker throwing motion.

2. Troubled Past: The average fan doesn't know this, but Brennan was once a quarterback at Colorado. He was kicked off the team because he was charged with sexual assault. He spent seven days in jail. Do you want this guy running your offense?

3. Tom Thumb: Brennan is 6-2, 201. Pretty small for a quarterback. There have been quite a few tiny signal callers in the NFL before, but none of them had a...

4. Side-Armed Delivery: Rich Gannon threw side-armed, but he wasn't 6-2. Because Brennan is short, his side-armed release point will be even lower. This will result in a lot of batted balls at the line of scrimmage.

5. Bad Teammate: When Brennan struggled at his Pro Day, he actually had the nerve to blame his receivers. You can probably Google the interview with Scout.com if you want to find out what he said.

6. He's 25: Well, almost 25. Brennan will reach the quarter-century mark on Aug. 16. Kind of old for a rookie quarterback, huh?

But he put up great stats! Yeah, so did Timmy Chang. How's he doing? June Jones' offense is designed to do that. Put any other seventh-round quarterback (i.e. Matt Flynn, Alex Brink, etc.) in Hawaii's offense and they would have put up similar (or better) numbers.

I hope you understand now why I gave the Redskins a Z for picking Brennan. I'll be shocked if he makes an NFL roster.

When people say stuff like this, it kind-of makes me wish that Brennan does become a good quarterback either here or elsewhere...I have faith in him...I wish there was a way to show this to him...that way he will know he has ALOT to prove

I agree with his assessment of Colt Brennan. I felt the same way when we drafted him. I'd LOVE to be wrong about him but I'll be surprised if he's still on the roster this time next year.

As for Campbell, I guess he forgot Jason played in a WCO at Auburn. Hopefully, he won't be too slow to adapt.

Overall, a pretty accurate assessment but it's old hat to most of us.

True, but it was also explained and elaborated on better than 99% of what's used as an OP here. See "Charles Rogers is deteriorating" etc., etc., etc.
"Charles"??..lol :laugh:...

Ugh, put me in the botch book for that one. That's just terrible....I'm pretty ashamed. I'm not even going to edit the original post, I deserve it for that.

In my defense, there was precious little actual talk of Carlos Rogers in that thread. I can answer about 100 different questions on sandwiches now.

Archived