Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stand Up Comedy

Skins&Bones

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not a big fan of everyday stand up. Most of it is bad, second-rate garbage that's painfully unfunny to watch.

One guy who stands out as a real original for me, is Eddie Izzard. If you enjoy British humor and haven't already seen his "Dressed to Kill" video, give it a try.

Be warned though, it's about as far from George Carlin, Richard Pryor and the whole Blue Collar Comedy Tour as it's possible to get.

:helmet:

I was wondering if some British acts might get a mention. I'm a big stand up fan and from the UK - if any of you guys want to try some British stand up look out for

Eddie Izzard - good call FuriousD. Brilliant but slightly disturbing

Ricky Gervais - he of The Office fame (yes this was a UK show first which was re written and re cast for the US version). His TV work is probably what he is best known for but his stand up is fantastic

Peter Kay - probably the closest to the US "Blue Collar" crowd. He is from my neck of the woods in the North West of England, is pretty family friendly and is very very very funny. Not sure his humour would travel over the Atlantic though. He does some brilliant TV stuff - if you can find some DVD's of Pheonix Nights give it a look. Its a take off of life in a Northern Working Mans Club which is so close to reality it is genius.

Al Murray (The Pub Landlord) - again not sure this would travel that well to the US but a brilliant stand up routine based on a character who is what I guess you would call a Bar Manager explaining to his audience as though they were drinkers in his bar exactly what is wrong with the world, why Great Britain is still top dog and why women should be either nurses, secretaries or stay in doors. He shas ome fairly strong views about Americans as well ..... all tounge in cheek of course .....

Of the US guys mentioned Richard Prior was simply brilliant before the drugs took over - Chris Rock wishes he was as funny...... I quite like Dennis Leary in shortish doses and Larry the Cable Guy as well. Not a fan of Foxworthy personally.

Of the US guys mentioned Richard Prior was simply brilliant before the drugs took over - Chris Rock wishes he was as funny...... I quite like Dennis Leary in shortish doses and Larry the Cable Guy as well. Not a fan of Foxworthy personally.

Listen to Bill Hicks if you enjoy Leary. Leary's entire act/persona is based off of Bill Hicks. The difference (aside from Hicks actually being extremely funny) is Hicks was actually like this while Leary is only playing a part.

I've seen Chappelle and he was great but I have 3 that stand out in my mind.. Tommy Davidson, Charlie Murphy and Darrell Hammond were awesome, Hammond was drunk during his show and Charlie Murphy did his whole show without mentioning Rick James til the very end which I was happy about since I got burned out on that whole skit...

If the poll is for working stand up comedians, I suppose the omission of Carlin, Pryor, Hedburg, Bruce, Hicks, and Kinison can be forgiven, as they are all dead.

If it's favorite comedian with no regard to living or dead status, that poll is absolutely ridiculous.

And even if it's just living comedians, the omission of Chris Rock and Lewis Black is nothing short of comical. (No pun intended.)

Listen to Bill Hicks if you enjoy Leary. Leary's entire act/persona is based off of Bill Hicks. The difference (aside from Hicks actually being extremely funny) is Hicks was actually like this while Leary is only playing a part.

Yeah - I have seen some Bill Hicks and I know waht you mean. Again he is a guy I can take is shortish bursts, find the angry stuff gets a bit old after a while. No doubt he was side splitting funny at times though.

Not a big fan of Izzard. I saw an HBO special of his, and his comedy just didn't work for me.

Most British comedy seems a little stale, or overly done.

Eddie is a guy you either get or you don't and he can be an aquired taste.

As for British comedy being stale simply can't agree there are a ton of really good young(ish) guys coming through but the problem is the only UK comics you get to see in the US are the old school middle of the road guys who can hardly get work in the UK anymore. I think it is true that some humor which works in the UK does not travel to the US and visa versa.

I work for a US company and get to the US a lot - hence I do know a lot of the US comics. Most people over here would never have heard of many of the guys you are talking about on this thread not even some of the better known ones.

Archived