Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost: Subbed anthem lyrics draw some red glares

Sarge

Okay, I understand how you deduced that she was most likely a liberal on political scale. Thats fine. But I still don't get how this is anymore than a stupid person making a stupid decision. You are attempting to allude that this is somehow a small representation of how the party of unity is divisive, which can be a good argument because the Democratic party can be very non-inclusive at times, something as a Democrat I know they need to work on. But that argument is weak when attempted to be made with this article, as it is nothing more than one angry person making a stupid decision.

A stupid decision that I think everyone has agreed is inexcusable.

Yes this is a stupid action by one member of a party. My point is that you will never hear a peep of discontent from said party about this stupidity. And silence is always an understood affirmation.

If the DNC has the balls to speak out against this, I will be shocked and will gladly eat crow.

It's a mental slavery that this community has imposed upon themselves. Period. No other ethnic group that has ever immigrated to this country has felt this way for very long. What's going on here? Really..

With all due respect, African-Americans were also the only ethnic group that didn't immigrate to this country but were brought here in chains.

Nonetheless, I'm still not condoning her actions.

With all due respect, African-Americans were also the only ethnic group that didn't immigrate to this country but were brought here in chains.

QUOTE]

:applause: A little historical perspective. How refreshing!

Really? You couldn't see anyone like say McVay or a extreme right wing person saying this? Honestly?

I'm glad that you can laugh at crap like this. Again this is divisive for the sake of being divisive.

I won't disagree with the fact that there are people in this country that feel this way but this is some form of mental illness. The law is the law. There is no legal means that she and others with this mentality should feel as they are 2nd class citizens.

The only way that you can be a 2nd class citizen in this country is if you allow it, foster it in your own mind and then allow it to poison your mind to make your believe that you aren't part of the country like the rest of us.

How is this any different than militia members thought processes? This is a sickness. Period. It's a mental slavery that this community has imposed upon themselves. Period. No other ethnic group that has ever immigrated to this country has felt this way for very long. What's going on here? Really..

The quote was this.

she realized that as an African-American she at times feels like a foreigner in her home country.

So no, I can't see McVeigh saying it.

I agree with much of the rest that you have to say. I was stating that I understood her saying she feels like a foreigner. She isn't the only one.

Yes this is a stupid action by one member of a party. My point is that you will never hear a peep of discontent from said party about this stupidity. And silence is always an understood affirmation.

If the DNC has the balls to speak out against this, I will be shocked and will gladly eat crow.

Why should the DNC get involved? This has nothing to do with the party. The singer deceived the officials who hired her, has been denounced, and wasn't paid. That's that.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9767240

So you are saying that there are no immigrants from Africa to the US since the 1800's? Shocking! :doh:

And again, these are events that happened over a century ago. The civil war ended 143 years ago. Jim Crow laws were taken off the books 40+ years ago.

There is nothing binding african americans back but their own perceptions. I'm not saying that there is no racism in this country. There will always be bigots, racists and prejudiced people and they will be prejudiced, racist and bigoted about many things. What I am saying is that this is a country for us all. There is no one that can shut the door in your face but yourself.

And mind you, this is mainly an American phenomenon. My parents came from Cuba to the US, along with many other Cuban minorities: Ethnic Jews, Arabs, Chinese, as well as blacks. Blacks were slaves in Cuba, just as they were in the states, but were granted equal rights much earlier. This feeling of 2nd class citizenry never infected their minds. This is an illness that is born in this country and propagated by people with an agenda.

The quote was this.

So no, I can't see McVeigh saying it.

I agree with much of the rest that you have to say. I was stating that I understood her saying she feels like a foreigner. She isn't the only one.

How does feeling like a foreigner in your own country have anything more to do with her than say a militant militia member?

You either feel that way or you don't. They can be for different reasons (political, ethnic, religious or a combo of these and others) but the feeling is the same.

Does anyone else get this?

There is a big difference with her and a Tim McViegh, to use the example you did.

you are missing the point completely and are stuck here.

Any person can feel not part of the country or a 2nd class citizen. It doesn't have to involve race.

What i'm getting at is that it is all perspective. There is no "man" holding any race, creed, sexual ID, religion down except for the occasional random idiot racist and the boogeyman in your head.

"I'm getting — as if I made the decision to do this — I'm receiving a lot of hate mail," he says. "I've received quite a few e-mails that are quite nasty."

As much as you gotta keep certain things the way they are, i.e. the National Anthem, I laughed at this specific part because of how typical it is for something like that to occur. She probably had little ****ers on teh internetz sending messages telling her to die and such. *******s.

She was definitely in the wrong, she shouldn't have done what she did. I will admit that it was good to hear someone sing The Black National Anthem, it's been a while. We used to have to sing it every day in the elementary school I went to in Atlanta.

Regardless, I don't think she was saying that she's been held down. She merely said that sometimes she feels like a foreigner in America. I know other people who have similar sentiments, they aren't crying about it but the observation is there.

Anyway, I've been through this argument with half of you on here, and I'm sure it will never really make any sense to most of you. So I'm not going to go on.

Going to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim/Cartoon Network, then going to bed. Happy 4th of July to you all. Have fun blowing up ****.

I find the very notion of a "Black National Anthem" to be offensive. This country is for all of us, the National Anthem is for all of us. No group in this country, even African Americans need their own National Anthem. Where does it end?

I recommend this woman see a psychiatrist, because clearly she has some issues she needs to deal with. A foreigner in her own country? I don't understand how any African American could come to this conclusion in 2008. African American culture is EVERYWHERE, being consumed by all races, especially by white suburbanites. African American athletes are glorified and looked up to in the media, and by millions. What planet is this woman on? Seriously.

I find the very notion of a "Black National Anthem" to be offensive. This country is for all of us, the National Anthem is for all of us. No group in this country, even African Americans need their own National Anthem. Where does it end?

I recommend this woman see a psychiatrist, because clearly she has some issues she needs to deal with. A foreigner in her own country? I don't understand how any African American could come to this conclusion in 2008. African American culture is EVERYWHERE, being consumed by all races, especially by white suburbanites. African American athletes are glorified and looked up to in the media, and by millions. What planet is this woman on? Seriously.

Okay, I lied. But I'm seriously going to sleep after this.

It gained the name Black National Anthem quite some time ago ... back when the term was more valid. The name has stuck since then. But the lyrics of the song are of a very positive and uplifting nature. I think a lot of people should read the lyrics, I think even the lyrics should be something for all people to embrace and can resonate very positively on anyone

I don't have anything against the song, or the singing of the song. The song is uplifting. I do have a problem with the notion that any group in this country could have it's own, personal "national anthem." The Start Spangled Banner is the national anthem for you and me, and every other citizen of this country.

I also have a problem with the fact this woman is hired to sing the United States National Anthem at a State of the City address, and then uses the platform to press her own agenda. What exactly is her agenda? Her point? That racism still exists? O.k, yes it does, it will always exist...so what do we do now?

I don't have anything against the song, or the singing of the song. The song is uplifting. I do have a problem with the notion that any group in this country could have it's own, personal "national anthem." The Start Spangled Banner is the national anthem for you and me, and every other citizen of this country.

I also have a problem with the fact this woman is hired to sing the United States National Anthem at a State of the City address, and then uses the platform to press her own agenda. What exactly is her agenda? Her point? That racism still exists? O.k, yes it does, it will always exist...so what do we do now?

Alright, now I can't sleep, plus Mission Hill is on now, so I'm watching that. Then sleep.

It's a song that's been around for a long long time, you know, back when the National Anthem didn't necessarily represent everyone.

Either way, she definitely shouldn't have sung the song, or at least she could have spoken with the city and said that seen if they would have allowed her to even sing both. As a way to raise people's awareness on the meaning of the song, and why she still feels it's important. I'm just saying that there were better ways for her to handle the situation, I think we can all agree on that.

Alright, now I can't sleep, plus Mission Hill is on now, so I'm watching that. Then sleep.

It's a song that's been around for a long long time, you know, back when the National Anthem didn't necessarily represent everyone.

Either way, she definitely shouldn't have sung the song, or at least she could have spoken with the city and said that seen if they would have allowed her to even sing both. As a way to raise people's awareness on the meaning of the song, and why she still feels it's important. I'm just saying that there were better ways for her to handle the situation, I think we can all agree on that.

Get some sleep bro :) In the end, that's all I'm really saying as well.

I still think "Welcome to the Terrordome" should be the national anthem. But that's just me.

Actually, I always liked it when Ron from Ron and Fez would suggest that "Low Rider" by War be made the national anthem. I like the idea of 75,000 fans in, like, Austin on a Fall Saturday, standing up, facing the flag, and grooving to that horn rift. Now, that would bring some unity to the community.

QUOTE]

:applause: A little historical perspective. How refreshing!

Uh, guy if you want to get 'historical' make it a complete thought. They were brought here in chains because their fellow people in Africa, captured them, enslaved them, then sold them as slaves. It's not like you saw Spanish, English, French and Dutch sailing to Africa to just to run amuck in the country, capture random people, and drag them back to the new land. They were literally told by each individual country to come trade for these slaves for things that the Africans needed.

Archived