Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost: Subbed anthem lyrics draw some red glares

Sarge

They'll probably recruit her to sing at the DNC Convention :rolleyes:

CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9758376

As Denver dignitaries gathered Tuesday for Mayor John Hickenlooper's State of the City address, City Council president Michael Han**** introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

But that's not what she did.

Instead, Marie performed the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which also is known as the "black national anthem."

She sang the words to the tune of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

The proceedings then continued, without the customary singing of the national anthem, leaving some in the audience bewildered.

Marie said she made the change without informing the mayor's office, which had expected her to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner."

"I pulled a switcheroonie on them," Marie said later.

She explained that she decided months ago to switch the lyrics because she will no longer sing the national anthem.

She said that she made the decision after a Russian broadcaster interviewed her and asked her what it was like to be an American.

At that moment, she said, she realized that as an African-American she at times feels like a foreigner in her home country.

"And I was going to correct her," Marie said. "And I realized I didn't feel like an American, and that bothered me a great deal."

Marie, a popular jazz singer and actress who performs with the Shadow Theatre Company, said she never informed the mayor's office she planned to switch the lyrics because she didn't think they would let her go through with it.

Hickenlooper said he had talked to Marie about the situation after her performance.

"She was very apologetic," the mayor said. "She meant no disrespect, and she was singing an artistic expression she thought represented love and hope for her country."

Others were less charitable.

"I was surprised," said Han****, who said he thought Marie should have cleared her plans with the mayor's office. "But you go on with the show."

By Tuesday afternoon, Han**** had received several telephone calls from

The anthem, written by James Weldon Johnson and first performed in 1900, was intended to commemorate nearly 40 years of freedom for blacks in America on the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birthday.

The song, which appears in many church hymnals including the United Methodist hymnal, is an expression of hope and faith, and an appreciation and lamentation for the suffering of prior generations.

Still, Councilman Chris Nevitt said the replacing of the national anthem's lyrics with those written by Johnson "was the weirdest damn thing."

And Councilman Charlie Brown took to the airwaves, appearing on several radio stations to discuss the issue.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem," Brown said. "I was shocked. It just puts everyone in an awkward position."

lemme see here, just keeping track of Sarges posts for the day.

JPost: 'He cried Allah Akhbar and hit the gas'

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

USAToday: Tyson denies involvement in murder for hire (damn sneaky one you posted)

-Grant

lemme see here, just keeping track of Sarges posts for the day.

JPost: 'He cried Allah Akhbar and hit the gas'

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

USAToday: Tyson denies involvement in murder for hire (damn sneaky one you posted)

-Grant

Your Point?

-Grant

:laugh: :laugh:

Check his posting history. Specifically threads started by Sarge.

Over 2000 stories about Muslims and liberals.

I don't even know if he is a football fan :laugh:

And yes, you don't just "switcharoo" the National Anthem

Its obvious...

That you still don't get it.

This is a person who is of the "party of unity", yet does something completely divisive.

Her own quote is a perfect example

she realized that as an African-American she at times feels like a foreigner in her home country.

If a white person said this, he/she would be labeled a racist, as partial and most likely a militant.

People with this psychosis need to seek help. Seriously.

This is a person who is of the "party of unity", yet does something completely divisive.

Where did you get that she is of any party, a party of unit, or has anything to do with politics at all. Did not see that in the article at all.

Where did you get that she is of any party, a party of unit, or has anything to do with politics at all. Did not see that in the article at all.

It's deduced from her statement and her actions. Not all things are stated but rather implied.

Her own quote is a perfect example

If a white person said this, he/she would be labeled a racist, as partial and most likely a militant.

People with this psychosis need to seek help. Seriously.

A white person would have no reason to say this. And this women singer would never be called a militant :laugh:

While it was wrong that she did that. I don't know if you can attack the way she feels about sometimes being a foreigner in America.

Many black people feel as if they are 2nd class citizens even though the law says differently.

Disagree? Ask a black person in New Orleans.

I respect her right not to sing the anthem if she chooses. It's like the Pledge of Alliegance. If you want to stand and be repectful, but your religion or philosophy pre-empts you from speaking it, that's cool. Stand and show respect and don't recite. However, if you sign on to sing the National Anthem. Sing it. You have agreed to sing the National Anthem and not singing it is breaking your contract and being actively disrespectful. It is wrong and she should not be paid for the gig. She did a terrible thing and made a huge mistake in my opinion (although, from a marketing and PR POV she probably got more attention by doing this than her voice and talent probably ever deserved)

I respect her right not to sing the anthem if she chooses. It's like the Pledge of Alliegance. If you want to stand and be repectful, but your religion or philosophy pre-empts you from speaking it, that's cool. Stand and show respect and don't recite. However, if you sign on to sing the National Anthem. Sing it. You have agreed to sing the National Anthem and not singing it is breaking your contract and being actively disrespectful. It is wrong and she should not be paid for the gig. She did a terrible thing and made a huge mistake in my opinion (although, from a marketing and PR POV she probably got more attention by doing this than her voice and talent probably ever deserved)

Exactly, you don't want to sing, don't sing. But don't agree to sing then pull some crazy stunt like this. Absolutely disgusting!

It's deduced from her statement and her actions. Not all things are stated but rather implied.

Okay, I understand how you deduced that she was most likely a liberal on political scale. Thats fine. But I still don't get how this is anymore than a stupid person making a stupid decision. You are attempting to allude that this is somehow a small representation of how the party of unity is divisive, which can be a good argument because the Democratic party can be very non-inclusive at times, something as a Democrat I know they need to work on. But that argument is weak when attempted to be made with this article, as it is nothing more than one angry person making a stupid decision.

A stupid decision that I think everyone has agreed is inexcusable.

A white person would have no reason to say this.

Really? You couldn't see anyone like say McVay or a extreme right wing person saying this? Honestly?

And this women singer would never be called a militant :laugh:

I'm glad that you can laugh at crap like this. Again this is divisive for the sake of being divisive.

While it was wrong that she did that. I don't know if you can attack the way she feels about sometimes being a foreigner in America.

Many black people feel as if they are 2nd class citizens even though the law says differently.

Disagree? Ask a black person in New Orleans.

I won't disagree with the fact that there are people in this country that feel this way but this is some form of mental illness. The law is the law. There is no legal means that she and others with this mentality should feel as they are 2nd class citizens.

The only way that you can be a 2nd class citizen in this country is if you allow it, foster it in your own mind and then allow it to poison your mind to make your believe that you aren't part of the country like the rest of us.

How is this any different than militia members thought processes? This is a sickness. Period. It's a mental slavery that this community has imposed upon themselves. Period. No other ethnic group that has ever immigrated to this country has felt this way for very long. What's going on here? Really..

Archived