Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost: Subbed anthem lyrics draw some red glares

Sarge

well I get that you like the song, but I like Slayer so should it have been OK for her to sing "Raining blood" to the NA?

I do appreciate that you state is is no longer relevant or needed. I could see if our NA was "dixie" or something that was blatantly JUST white, but I dont see any part of the NA that points to holding anyone down but those stupid Brits. :laugh:

To compare it to a Slayer song is way off, imo. In that case I really like the song One Beer by MF DOOM, I'll sing that instead of the NA from now on. The representation obviously doesn't mean as much to you. But it's more about what it symbolizes for why it holds so much weight, much like the NA.

To compare it to a Slayer song is way off, imo. In that case I really like the song One Beer by MF DOOM, I'll sing that instead of the NA from now on. The representation obviously doesn't mean as much to you. But it's more about what it symbolizes for why it holds so much weight, much like the NA.

wrong, what I am trying to say is that what it sounds like is just because you like that song it wasnt that big of a deal to you. Trying to now say that it doesnt represent as much to me is just you being outright silly.

wrong, what I am trying to say is that what it sounds like is just because you like that song it wasnt that big of a deal to you. Trying to now say that it doesnt represent as much to me is just you being outright silly.

I am lost on one piece –

Are you outraged that it happened, agree that the song is okay its own way, and that is it?

Or are you outraged that the song exists and people still sing it and embrace it as a part of their ethnic culture?

This post makes it seem like you are mad it even exists:

get the **** out of here with that. Im so tired of every other race trying to distance themselves from white people and what has been built on this country. You are no longer slaves and you dont HAVE to stay here any more if you dont want to. You are free to travel and move to any country you want to!!

I am lost on one piece –

Are you outraged that it happened, agree that the song is okay its own way, and that is it?

Or are you outraged that the song exists and people still sing it and embrace it as a part of their ethnic culture?

This post makes it seem like you are mad it even exists:

OK, what I am mad at with her is that she decided that because she was "black" and wanted to "black up" the song - or whatever reason she did it for - she substituted the National Anthem with her own version. The song is not meant for interpretation when you feel like it. It is a song that has been sung by great people both black and white. I am mad that she sang it her way.

I dont mind the song because honestly I dont know if I have ever heard it.

That last statement is just because I am tired of people acting like America is "white" and black people are somehow "held down" and they need to be able to seperate themselves like they arent Americans just like the rest of us. Outside of this country we are all looked at like Americans. We are all looked at in the same light. They dont go, "oh, well since you are black you must be opressed and somehow better then those white people". They look at you like you are an American and we all get lumped in the same category. :2cents:

For perspective, what would have happened if a white guy sung "dixie" instead of the Star Spangled Banner and then declared it to be the White National Anthem.

My guess is it wouldnt take 3 days to hit the national press.

Well since it happened on July 1, and national media picked it up July 2 and it is even being discussed on a Redskins football message board thousands of miles away, I guess that is faster than 3 days? :laugh:

Well since it happened on July 1, and national media picked it up July 2 and it is even being discussed on a Redskins football message board thousands of miles away, I guess that is faster than 3 days? :laugh:

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Where did I ever say that it wasn't that big a deal to me? Show me one place where I tried to justify, or validate what she did. In-fact, I've been critical of her judgement, if anything the only thing I've said in her defense is that I don't think she was trying to use it as a method to devide anyone, or start a race war. But not once did I say that what she did was okay.

As far as the song, have you ever heard, or read the lyrics of the song? Most likely not, which is why I say it has more meaning to me than you. Why is that me being silly? Just like how you're religious beliefs mean more to you than me, I'm not religious, but I don't try to diminish how you feel about it, because it doesn't mean anything to me.

In-fact, I'm going to guess that most people in this thread haven't heard the song ... unless they went to Google just now. Most people recite the first verse, but it's 3 verses total, sort of long. You should check it out. It has a much deeper meaning than I feel you're putting on it.

Where did I ever say that it wasn't that big a deal to me? Show me one place where I tried to justify, or validate what she did. In-fact, I've been critical of her judgement, if anything the only thing I've said in her defense is that I don't think she was trying to use it as a method to devide anyone, or start a race war. But not once did I say that what she did was okay.

As far as the song, have you ever heard, or read the lyrics of the song? Most likely not, which is why I say it has more meaning to me than you. Just like how you're religious beliefs mean more to you than me, I'm not religious, but I don't try to diminish how you feel about it, becaues it doesn't mean anything to me.

In-fact, I'm going to guess that most people in this thread haven't heard the song ... unless they went to Google just now. Most people recite the first verse, but it's 3 verses total, sort of long. You should check it out. It has a much deeper meaning than I feel you're putting on it.

congratulations on stating that I havent heard the song when if you read the thread afterwards you would notice that I said I havent heard the song. I dont give a damn about the song honestly except for the fact that she decided to sing it instead of the NA. And I have not once tried to diminish how you feel about this song. I am saying that I dont understand why people feel the need to seperate themselves from other Americans when they are no better or worse. There is only economical difference. Social differences are pretty much all a wash now.

I dont get why you are so quick to assume that I have something against this song though. I am not putting any feeling into it but to say that I dont think she should have sung it instead of the NA and that calling it the "black national anthem" is silly.

Outside of this country we are all looked at like Americans. We are all looked at in the same light. They dont go, "oh, well since you are black you must be opressed and somehow better then those white people". They look at you like you are an American and we all get lumped in the same category. :2cents:

I'm not sure that is the case at all.

I'm not sure that is the case at all.

Being ex military I would say it is the case.

Being in Africa and hearing them call black people "cotton pickers" and sneering at me because I am white.

Being in the gulf and having them look at me funny because I was Christian and look funny at black people because they are Americans.

In Japan the mystique of the black man to the women over there is crazy. But the lure to the white man is just as big.

Yeah, I think it is the case.

congratulations on stating that I havent heard the song when if you read the thread afterwards you would notice that I said I havent heard the song. I dont give a damn about the song honestly except for the fact that she decided to sing it instead of the NA. And I have not once tried to diminish how you feel about this song. I am saying that I dont understand why people feel the need to seperate themselves from other Americans when they are no better or worse. There is only economical difference. Social differences are pretty much all a wash now.

I dont get why you are so quick to assume that I have something against this song though. I am not putting any feeling into it but to say that I dont think she should have sung it instead of the NA and that calling it the "black national anthem" is silly.

To be honest, I started to reply to your post before I saw that you had said you'd never heard the song, but then I got sidetracked and went to lunch. I came back and just jumped back into my post before reading. I didn't notice till after the fact that you hadn't heard the song ... so thanks for the congratulations.

I felt you diminished the meaning of the song, and the impact that it's had on people in general when you inferred that it was on the same level as a Slayer song. There are certain things that are much more than they appear to a lot of people, the flag isn't just a piece of cloth, it represents something bigger ... just as the song does. That's all I've been saying.

Again, I've said this about 4 times now in this thread, and I don't think anyone is getting my point. But it was called, and really viewed as, the Black National Anthem when blacks in America were held down, were second class citizens, did find the need to seperate themselves because they were seperated from America against their own volition. The name has stuck, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone views it as being more appropriate to them more so than the National Anthem.

Being ex military I would say it is the case.

Being in Africa and hearing them call black people "cotton pickers" and sneering at me because I am white.

Being in the gulf and having them look at me funny because I was Christian and look funny at black people because they are Americans.

In Japan the mystique of the black man to the women over there is crazy. But the lure to the white man is just as big.

Yeah, I think it is the case.

For the most part I agree with this post. :)

To be honest, I started to reply to your post before I saw that you had said you'd never heard the song, but then I got sidetracked and went to lunch. I came back and just jumped back into my post before reading. I didn't notice till after the fact that you hadn't heard the song ... so thanks for the congratulations.

I felt you diminished the meaning of the song, and the impact that it's had on people in general when you inferred that it was on the same level as a Slayer song. There are certain things that are much more than they appear to a lot of people, the flag isn't just a piece of cloth, it represents something bigger ... just as the song does. That's all I've been saying.

Again, I've said this about 4 times now in this thread, and I don't think anyone is getting my point. But it was called, and really viewed as, the Black National Anthem when blacks in America were held down, were second class citizens, did find the need to seperate themselves because they were seperated from white America against their own volition. The name has stuck, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone views it as being more appropriate to them more so than the National Anthem.

hahahahah....nice. :cheers:

if I came across like I diminished the meaning of something important to you then I apologize but that is not how I meant it. I meant to say that it could have been any song and it would have been disrespectful. Nothing personal at all against it.

I also get that you have said it was called the BNA when black people were held down and I totally respect the point of view that you believe there is no need to call it that any more but the article states it is called that. It says right in it "black national anthem". Thats where my problem is, not with you or what your point of view is.

for those like me who didnt know the song, here are the lyrics. I have to say I dont see anything "black" about this. This could be sung by a recovering addict, a child who survived an abusive upbringing, etc. great lyrics though...

Lift every voice and sing, till earth and Heaven ring,

Ring with the harmonies of liberty;

Let our rejoicing rise, high as the listening skies,

Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.

Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,

Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;

Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,

Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod, bitter the chastening rod,

Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;

Yet with a steady beat, have not our weary feet,

Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?

We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,

We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered;

Out from the gloomy past, till now we stand at last

Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years, God of our silent tears,

Thou Who hast brought us thus far on the way;

Thou Who hast by Thy might, led us into the light,

Keep us forever in the path, we pray.

Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee.

Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee.

Shadowed beneath Thy hand, may we forever stand,

True to our God, true to our native land.

hahahahah....nice. :cheers:

if I came across like I diminished the meaning of something important to you then I apologize but that is not how I meant it. I meant to say that it could have been any song and it would have been disrespectful. Nothing personal at all against it.

I also get that you have said it was called the BNA when black people were held down and I totally respect the point of view that you believe there is no need to call it that any more but the article states it is called that. It says right in it "black national anthem". Thats where my problem is, not with you or what your point of view is.

I gotcha.

I see where you're coming from, now, as far as any song being disrespectful. In that case, I can agree with that.

Regardless, it doesn't surprise me that the article repeatedly refers to it as the BNA ... they've got to sell papers and drive readership upward somehow, right? Might as well use it as a way to sensationalize the topic even moreso than it has been. Gotta love the media outlets.

Is this the "Change" we can believe in? :doh:

Please explain what this has to do with Obama ATALL besides that the woman is black and Obama is black. :doh: Please. Just post one example of its connection. Its amazing how people connect things sometimes.

Black person does something in Denver and somehow this has to do with Obama national politics because he is black. Simply amazing......

OK, what I am mad at with her is that she decided that because she was "black" and wanted to "black up" the song - or whatever reason she did it for - she substituted the National Anthem with her own version. The song is not meant for interpretation when you feel like it. It is a song that has been sung by great people both black and white. I am mad that she sang it her way.

I dont mind the song because honestly I dont know if I have ever heard it.

That last statement is just because I am tired of people acting like America is "white" and black people are somehow "held down" and they need to be able to seperate themselves like they arent Americans just like the rest of us. Outside of this country we are all looked at like Americans. We are all looked at in the same light. They dont go, "oh, well since you are black you must be opressed and somehow better then those white people". They look at you like you are an American and we all get lumped in the same category. :2cents:

Former Army Brat, been around the world. Blacks ARE NOT viewed as equals when it comes to America...and this is only my opinion based on my experiences. Whether it's Asia, Africa or Europe, "African Americans" if you will, are looked at negatively. Don't let a large crowd in Iowa for Obama or Puffy performing in London make you think otherwise;)

Blacks aren't held down? Blacks aren't discriminated against? You can believe that if you'd like, but I've lived it, and it's still around, and whatever happens this November, it will continue to happen.

Need proof? Visit a couple of random message boards (present one not included), and you'll see that there is still a lot of animosity between blacks and whites. Check out news-based boards or social boards...anywhere, if there's a topic like this, not-so-nice words come out of people who hide behind Homer Simpson avatars or Matrix screencaps.

Sure, we've all done a lot to make things appear nice and progressive, remember Hands Across America:laugh: ? and all that other stuff, but for those who might forget, there are people, and not OLD people, who know an America where police attacked them w/ dogs and people threw rocks at them, just for wanting to go to school, drinking at a water fountain, or expressing their constitutional right to assemble (sit-ins, protests, etc).

Bottom line, if she was going to be a brave artist witha "message", then she should've told the mayor and co. what she was going to do before she did it. It's disrespectful to sneak attack someone, no matter what it is.

The song is uplifting and not offensive lyrics-wise, it's actually a nice little ditty. But to perform a run-in for your own agenda because of some chat you had with a Russian Bird, that's not right, and does much more harm than good.

Former Army Brat, been around the world. Blacks ARE NOT viewed as equals when it comes to America...and this is only my opinion based on my experiences. Whether it's Asia, Africa or Europe, "African Americans" if you will, are looked at negatively. Don't let a large crowd in Iowa for Obama or Puffy performing in London make you think otherwise;)

Blacks aren't held down? Blacks aren't discriminated against? You can believe that if you'd like, but I've lived it, and it's still around, and whatever happens this November, it will continue to happen.

Need proof? Visit a couple of random message boards (present one not included), and you'll see that there is still a lot of animosity between blacks and whites. Check out news-based boards or social boards...anywhere, if there's a topic like this, not-so-nice words come out of people who hide behind Homer Simpson avatars or Matrix screencaps.

Sure, we've all done a lot to make things appear nice and progressive, remember Hands Across America:laugh: ? and all that other stuff, but for those who might forget, there are people, and not OLD people, who know an America where police attacked them w/ dogs and people threw rocks at them, just for wanting to go to school, drinking at a water fountain, or expressing their constitutional right to assemble (sit-ins, protests, etc).

Bottom line, if she was going to be a brave artist witha "message", then she should've told the mayor and co. what she was going to do before she did it. It's disrespectful to sneak attack someone, no matter what it is.

The song is uplifting and not offensive lyrics-wise, it's actually a nice little ditty. But to perform a run-in for your own agenda because of some chat you had with a Russian Bird, that's not right, and does much more harm than good.

:applause: Well said.

Please explain what this has to do with Obama ATALL besides that the woman is black and Obama is black. :doh: Please. Just post one example of its connection. Its amazing how people connect things sometimes.

Black person does something in Denver and somehow this has to do with Obama national politics because he is black. Simply amazing......

That's the way it is most of the time. Blacks have to be the personal spokeperson and reason for everything bad that happens involving black people.

The very fact that he associated one with the other PROVES things haven't gotten better, so anyone who thinks it has, just read through this thread.

You got a chick going renegade and expressing her 1st amendment rights...dumb? yes. Unneccesary? Sure. Protected by our very government? Surprise, it is. So is this any different from Roseanne Barr screaming the actual anthem, grabbing herself, and spitting on the mound?

when white kids in colorado shoot up a school because they were teased, white people don't have to excuse or explain anything...but let a black guy act like a fool on "Cops", and I'm sitting there having to explain it for some reason.

It's an old comedy bit I think, maybe from Chris Rock.

I agree with that. I have some friends who seem to be professional protestors/agitators, but I am never quite sure what they are trying to accomplish. I guess it's the long Union history in my family, but I always like my protests to be specific and have specific goals.

That's the way it is most of the time. Blacks have to be the personal spokeperson and reason for everything bad that happens involving black people.

The very fact that he associated one with the other PROVES things haven't gotten better, so anyone who thinks it has, just read through this thread.

You got a chick going renegade and expressing her 1st amendment rights...dumb? yes. Unneccesary? Sure. Protected by our very government? Surprise, it is. So is this any different from Roseanne Barr screaming the actual anthem, grabbing herself, and spitting on the mound?

when white kids in colorado shoot up a school because they were teased, white people don't have to excuse or explain anything...but let a black guy act like a fool on "Cops", and I'm sitting there having to explain it for some reason.

Best post of the thread. :notworthy

Where did you get that she is of any party, a party of unit, or has anything to do with politics at all. Did not see that in the article at all.

Dude don't pretend to be that clueless. It was another political form of expression that you see from extremists in the Democratic party where the pathetic types spew their hate America venom.

It's an old comedy bit I think, maybe from Chris Rock.

really?

did you mean this in jest or are you really trying to convince me that the parents, teachers and community of Columbine werent scrutinized and put under the magnifying glass for months upon months for what went wrong?

Same thing with out here in San Diego. Santana HS and Granite Hills had the exact same thing happen there within days of each other. Those schools were poked, prodded and made to account for why they hadnt done something.

Archived