Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

William & Mary has the toughest SAT entry score of any public college

Corcaigh

My teen daughter (rising senior) is taking a good look at William & Mary.

I was surprised to see that they have the highest SAT admission scores of the public universities. Higher than UC Berkley, UVA and other big names. I suppose their slightly smaller size helps raise the required score.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/SAT_Public_Univ.htm

The top 25% at William & Mary score 2160 or higher on the SAT.

Oh, I should add, Miss Perfection is in the top 25% but wants to retake the test to get a higher score.

What a fun time ... dealing with a child who is worried about whether a GPA over 4 and a 2200 SAT score will get you admitted to a general undergraduate course.:doh::laugh:

To W&M?

It's a little different to VT. Why did you apply to both?

I applied to:

VT, CNU, VCU, W&M, UVA, Radford, UDel and Mason.

Wasn't really sure where I wanted to go.

Got into everything but UVA, wait listed and eventually rejected.

To be honest VT was my heart's first choice and UVA was my head's first choice.

W&M isn't my style...I like big schools and hate Williamsburg, W&M depresses me.

I thought about transferring to UVA for a little while my first year because most of my friends were there and it made more sense academically but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with Blacksburg and VT.

I have alot of respect for UVA and most of the people there but VT is just perfect for me. I'm a PolySci major so UVA makes sense academically but VT has a Public Admin & Public Policy grad school that focuses on working with/running Charitable organizations--which is something I am very interested in.

W&M definitely has a smaller feel and is uber-geek central. But that suits my daughter perfectly.:)

I tell everyone the same thing when they're looking at schools:

Look at the academics, but don't go just for that.

Its four years of your life, this isn't just school.

You have to be happy and planning for your future at the same time.

If thats what she wants, I'd encourage it 100%. Everyone I know at W&M (from the geeks to the constantly intoxicated frat boys) loves it.

:laugh:

UVA probably has a higher rate of 'elitists' but W&M is certainly 'elite'

But what do I know, I'm just a dumb hick from Blacksburg ;)

Funnily enough, I think she is leaning toward Public Admin & Public Policy too.

But who knows. It wasn't that long ago she wanted to be an actress and before that a princess. :silly:

Funnily enough, I think she is leaning toward Public Admin & Public Policy too.

But who knows. It wasn't that long ago she wanted to be an actress and before that a princess. :silly:

If she wants to do PAPR (haha looks like paper...fitting), either W&M or UVA would be a great choice.

Either PolySci or even UVA's Commerce School (very difficult to get into) would be a good start.

Mason and GW have great PAPR Grad Schools

Good to see you did your homework on these schools, DMH28. Much more than I did...I pointed at a map and said 'Radford seems like a good choice.'

Not really, but I didn't do as much research as I should've. I was blessed that I really liked the school and the history department.

Good to see you did your homework on these schools, DMH28. Much more than I did...I pointed at a map and said 'Radford seems like a good choice.'

Not really, but I didn't do as much research as I should've. I was blessed that I really liked the school and the history department.

Oh believe me I did my homework.

I visited something like 25 schools from UDel-NC State and everything in between.

They all suck ;)

Hokie Hi!

We've seen a few but W&M is tops so far. Having been to W&M first, she didn't want to get out of the car at CNU. :laugh:

CNU is up and coming, the state is pouring millions into that campus and everything is brand new.

Plus its close to the beach.

What didn't she like about it? I haven't actually been but everyone seems to love the campus itself (though its a dry campus... :mad:), is there a bunch of construction?

CNU is up and coming, the state is pouring millions into that campus and everything is brand new.

Plus its close to the beach.

What didn't she like about it? I haven't actually been but everyone seems to love the campus itself (though its a dry campus... :mad:), is there a bunch of construction?

At CNU, construction was going on and some buildings were closed, all modern buildings (looks more like an office park than a university), bookstore & library was a joke relative to W&M.

Right on a busy highway, driving through 'ghetto' to get there.

And some frat boys having a pie throwing fund raiser was exactly the worst welcome she could have had. :laugh:

At CNU, construction was going on, buildings were closed, all modern buildings (looks more like an office park than a university), bookstore & library was a joke relative to W&M.

Right on a busy highway, driving through 'ghetto' to get there.

And some frat boys having a pie throwing fund raiser was exactly the worst welcome she could have had. :laugh:

:laugh:

That sounds pretty terrible.

I visited NC State and got the same impression. No one was outside, a bunch of construction and everything was ugly and concrete.

But whats wrong with pie!?! :laugh:

When I was a HS Senior, they also led the nation in Freshman suicide rate. Not exactly a laugh factory down there...great school though.

Yeah its still up there but I think Cornell is number one.

Its kind of a BS statistic because it makes people think that theres people jumping out of windows frequently, which is just plain wrong.

But it does speak to the high amount of stress that W&M kids are under.

That sounds like my visit to ODU, except instead of pie they had beer, and instead of throwing they were chugging in front of and on top of their house while yelling nonsense. :)

When I was a HS Senior, they also led the nation in Freshman suicide rate.

That's actually a myth. I think the myth came about because W&M management know it's a high stress academic environment and have a very proactive awareness and counselling program. People have seen that and assumed the program was created in response to a problem, rather than to prevent it.

The figures are:

There have been 11 since 1968.

Average population stats would suggest about 30 for that period.

Not exactly a laugh factory down there...great school though.

True, they're a serious bunch.

Definitely a good academic school but as stated before its more than just academics and Williamsburg gets boring quick.

Congrats on her high scores though and hopefully she will find a school that fits her perfectly and is all that she wants.

Archived