Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chad Rinehart at Right tackle; should we give it a serious look?

Morneblade

Yeah, it's off season, so we dont have much else to do but speculate on our guys and how they are doing with OTA's and training camp looming next month. We look like we might has gotten some real players that could contribute on the Oline, and maybe sooner than later. And to that my feeling that Jansen hasnt been playing very good even when healthy the last couple of years. Then I was looking at Chad and even though he was a Left Tackle in college and most scouts see him playing guard in the NFL.........

Why not give him a shot at Right Tackle?

Yes, I know we have Heyer backing up Jansen right now, but Rinehart looks like everything Jansen was coming out, except he's quicker than Jon was. He's a take no prisoners guy that blows people up and has a serious mean streak, but is quick enough and explosive enough to protect a QB's blind side.

I see Jon has the one real weak link on our O-line at this point, and I'd really like to see him as depth rather than a starter. I think if we were more solid @ Right tackle our O-line would be good enough to give us a chance even with a new offense, to do some real damage.

Here is his scouting report.

Pick Analysis: Rinehart was very impressive at the Senior Bowl and has good strength. He's able to pull and moves well for a guy his size. He may have potential to play tackle as well, but has not played against strong competition so he will need some time to develop. He gives the Redskins depth on the offensive line with a chance to grow into a starter.

1. Overview

2. Analysis

3. Q & A

Overview

Overview Professional scouts flocked to Northern Iowa to see what many feel is the NCAA Subdivision's premier draft prospect in 2007. One of the most dominant left tackles in the game, Rinehart anchored the Panthers' offensive line since moving into the lineup as a freshman.

The decorated blocker is equally proficient in opening holes for the ground game or sliding back to protect the quarterback's blind side in passing situations. With Rinehart at left tackle, Northern Iowa has averaged over 400 yards per game in total offense (410.84 yards per game) over the last three seasons. The team ranked 10th in rushing (219.36 yards per game) and fourth in total offense (408.27 ypg) during his junior year.

At Boone High School, Rinehart was a standout offensive lineman. He earned All-State second-team honors as both a junior and senior. He was also a first-team All-District and All-Conference choice during his final two seasons. Rinehart also starred for the track team, qualifying for the state finals in the discus.

Pursued by the Naval Academy, Rinehart decided to enroll at Northern Iowa. He spent the 2003 season competing as an offensive tackle on the scout team. In 2004, he took over at left tackle, starting the team's first five games before undergoing a laparoscopic appendectomy on October 21. He missed three games while recovering before returning to the field as a reserve for the team's final three contests. He finished his first season with the team with an 87.57% grade for blocking consistency, delivering four touchdown-resulting blocks in the process.

Rinehart began to establish his dominance in the trenches as a sophomore in 2005. He earned All-Gateway Conference first-team honors and was a second-team All-Northwest Region choice by Football Gazette. He completely manhandled his opponents, coming up with 134 knockdowns, including 13 touchdown-resulting blocks and an impressive 17 blocks downfield. He registered an 87.13% grade for blocking consistency, helping the team average 236.8 yards per game passing and 400.53 yards in total offense.

Rinehart garnered Associated Press and Sports Network All-American second-team honors in 2006. He was an All-Gateway Conference and All-Northwest Region first-team choice and earned his third Gateway Offensive Lineman of the Week honors during his junior campaign.

He helped a unit that ranked fourth nationally in total offense with an average of 408.27 yards per game and ranked 10th in the Division 1-AA ranks with an average of 219.36 yards per game on the ground. He delivered 105 knockdowns in 11 games, producing 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and 15 more blocks downfield. He held his opponents to just three stops behind the line of scrimmage and a total of 14 tackles (10 solo), as he led the 1-AA linemen with an 89.64% grade for blocking consistency.

As a senior, Rinehart was a consensus All-American first-team and unanimous All-Gateway Conference first-team selection. He continued his dominance, as he graded 88.64% for blocking consistency, the highest mark of any offensive lineman in the FCS ranks. He collected 103 knockdowns with 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and 12 blocks downfield. The offense responded to his blocking by averaging 457.3 yards per game, an improvement of close to 50 yards per game from the previous season.

Career Notes Rinehart has the highest career blocking consistency grade (88.5%) of any NCAA Division 1-AA (Subdivision) offensive lineman in the last 15 years...The left offensive tackle started 42 of 45 contests at left offensive tackle. He produced 409 knockdowns/key blocks, including 51 that resulted in touchdowns and 51 more that came down field.

High School Attended Boone (Ia.) High School, playing football for head coach Jon Walcyk...Earned All-State second-team honors as both a junior and senior...First-team All-District and All-Conference choice during his final two campaigns...In addition to excelling on the gridiron, he also starred for the track team, qualifying for the state finals in the discus.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Analysis

Analysis Positives: Has a tall frame with good overall body thickness, especially in his legs...Has room to add additional bulk, but it could affect his overall quickness...Has good arm length and very good straight-line quickness and explosion for his size...Durable athlete with the ability to play through pain...Has very good balance on the move and takes good angles in pursuit of second-level defenders, evident by his high amount of downfield blocks every year...Shows good body control and adequate change-of-direction agility...Could shift inside to guard at the next level because of his trap-blocking skills and his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes when working in-line...All-out battler with a solid work ethic, showing a good mental grasp of the game, quickly taking plays from the chalkboard to the playing field...Hard worker in the weight room and does a nice job of using that power to deliver a jarring hand punch...Shows the explosion off the snap to easily seal the corner and has a "take no prisoners" approach taking on defenders, as he plays until the whistle and will not hesitate to punish him man...Respected team leader who will not hesitate to get vocal when a teammate fails to perform to standards...Must improve his knee bend, but backpedals quickly in pass protection, taking full advantage of his big chest, powerful arms, wide hips and thick thighs to easily wall off the defender...Has adequate quickness off the snap, showing the balance to keep his feet in attempts to gain position blocking in-line...Classic mauler who has the hand pop to shock and surprise a defender, doing a nice job of getting under the opponents' jerseys to sustain...When he keeps his pads down, he generates the explosion needed to create and maintain the rush lanes and has the ability to execute good angles to stalk and neutralize second-level defenders (eight downfield blocks in five 2007 games and 15 more in 11 game in '06)...With his strength, hand punch, body control and ability to square up, he is very effective at getting out in front on pulls and traps...Does a nice job of getting position to wall off the blitzers and displays very good balance and anchor taking on the bull rush...Very active going after other defenders after the initial block...Will deliver the crunching hand punch to keep defenders on their heels and is a very focused drive blocker who simply knocks over defenders with true aggression...Generates movement, firing low to take the defender off his feet...Knows how to extend his arms and take proper blocking angles to prevent the bull rush.

Negatives: Has good explosion coming off the snap, but might be a better fit to play inside at guard, as he is a bit of a waist-bender and struggles at times to move laterally, but does compensate with a strong hand punch and ability to maintain his anchor...Has a very powerful hand punch, but must do a better job extending to make reach blocks and keeping placement longer in attempts to sustain...Has the explosion to get back and take on edge rushers, but lacks the speed to recover when beaten off the snap...Might not have the flexibility to play tackle at the next level, but he shows the strength to leverage and create movement, along with holding the crease for the running game when redirecting inside (traits needed for an offensive guard).

Compares To...LOGAN MANKINS-New England...Like Mankins, Rinehart is a collegiate tackle who might have a quicker route to a starting job at the professional level with a potential shift to offensive guard. He is a punishing trap blocker with good explosion getting out in front when pulling. He uses his strength well to sustain and widen rush lanes, but must work on bending more at the knees than at the waist. He has a hand punch that will shock and jolt an opponent, showing improvement placing those hands as a senior than he did in the past. In isolated coverage, he will dominate a smaller opponent. With his body control and ability to square up and wall off second level defenders, he could bring immediate value with a possible shift in-line."

*Additional note: He was one of the top O-linemen in the Vertical Jump and 20 yard shuttle. Quick and explosive.

Have at it. :D

i think rinehart will replace kendall next season at left guard. and if he is receiving reps at tackle in practice, i still think heyer is the first tackle off the bench should samuels or jansen go down

Quote="Rinehart looks like everything Jansen was coming out, except he's quicker than Jon was."

No offense, but no effing way.

Jon Jansen started 48 games for Michigan at tackle, and was pulverizing Big-10 defenders for four years. There's just no comparison.

And the whole question just seems illogical.

We've got Samuels, Jansen and Heyer as our top three tackles.

We've got Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall and Jason Fabini as our top three guards.

Which one obviously needs an infusion of young talent? Especially with Fabini's career winding down, Randy with his injury history, and Kendall on the last year of his contract at age 35?

Let Jansen and Heyer fight it out at RT. I'm not one of the people on this board so quick to write off Jon, but if heyer wins the job, so be it.

Then let Rinehart fight it out with Kendall. If Kendall holds on, great. Rinehart can backup and hopefully be ready to take over next year.

I love this kind of debate for one reason. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we think. We have the best OL coach in Football and the choice is his and he'll mke the right one. It's nice to see a Skins team spoilt for choice along the OL.

Rinehart will take over for Kendall next year. That is if Kerry Brown doesn't beat him out. Brown is going to be a beast. He has a nasty side to him. I see this year being Kendall's last season. Next draft I see us taking an OL in the early rounds (1-3). That will leave us with Samuels, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Heyer, Rinehart, Brown, Crummey and the draft pick. Thats a great mix of vets and youth! :applause:

I think Rinehart will hold down that much needed left gaurd position. Kendall is on his way out. We at least have Heyer and Wade to backup Jansen on the right. Alexander seems, would be Randy Thomas' replacement. Perhaps Crummey could learn to play tackle. I like the transition the offensive line is in.

As much as you want to keep saying that Jansen is done, Bugel disagrees with you. Personally, I'll wait and see.

Even if he is, tho, Heyer probably has the advantage of starting some games last year and a full year of conditioning under the Redskins. That shouldn't be underestimated, because when you are in college, you are splitting time between working out and taking classes. In the NFL, football is your full time job, so you are out there every day working out, working on fundimentals, etc. It is why you usually see a decent bump in a player's performance in their second year.

Rinehart is in the LG spot, backing up Kendall, because right now there isn't anyone backing him up. Meanwhile, we have three guys who can play LT.

Jason

Rinehart will take over for Kendall next year. That is if Kerry Brown doesn't beat him out. Brown is going to be a beast. He has a nasty side to him. I see this year being Kendall's last season. Next draft I see us taking an OL in the early rounds (1-3). That will leave us with Samuels, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Heyer, Rinehart, Brown, Crummey and the draft pick. Thats a great mix of vets and youth! :applause:

Sounds good to me. Seems like you got the plan down. Very exciting!

I like Rinehart as depth this year. Don't underestimate chemistry between linemates. It'll be tough for a Div 1a rookie to come in and right away have chemistry with Thomas. Jansen and Thomas were a lockdown right side in 05. Sure that was a couple years ago, but Jansen also had no thumbslaugh.gif . A heathly Jansen is the best bet this year, and let Rinehart and Brown develop under Buges.

If Buges took him as a guard, then I say keep Rinehart at guard. I trust Buges opinion on the OL over anyone on this board.

Besides, how do we know Rinehart won't start out at guard, and then transition over to tackle after a couple seasons? We don't, but it is a real possibility. Besides, if Rinehart had a real shot at tackle, Buges would have him lining up there.

I agree with Jason, the apparent bias against Jansen seems to be more the reason why this would even be considered, given that we have nobody backing-up 35 year-old Kendall at guard if Rinhart moves to tackle.

as others have said we need to develop depth behind kendall and rabach who are both more suspect than jansen at this point imo

it is impossible to speculate on how ready jansen is though at this point with his injury last year....i trust buges judgment though

I think this is pushing it a little bit. I'd rather have Jansen out there esp. because chemistry is important on the line. I think it really shows when a line is comfortable with each other. I also don't believe Jansen has been playing poorly. Rinehart is young and will have a chance to develop into a starter. I am excited to see what he can do when he's ready.

Watching Stephon Heyer today on Redskins Radio made me appreciate Buges more and more. He just talked about how he such a mentor and great teacher, and basically a father figure to the o-line. It is GREAT to have that kind of chemistry in the o-line alone.

Buges knows what the hell's he's doin, whoever he puts out there, it'll be for the greater good of the team.

All hail Buges!

He has no experience at RT. He was a LT all through college. We've already got a few players who can play that position. Why switch him?

Well LT is a harder position, protecting the QBs blindside and you're normally going up against the better DEs. I would assume moving from LT to RT is easier than the opposite.

LT is covered with Samuels but who do we have to back him up if he gets hurt?

Rinehart can serve as a viable backup for both spots now with Heyer and we can put them in as we need them.

I think Rinehart will hold down that much needed left gaurd position. Kendall is on his way out. We at least have Heyer and Wade to backup Jansen on the right. Alexander seems, would be Randy Thomas' replacement. Perhaps Crummey could learn to play tackle. I like the transition the offensive line is in.

No Way Crummey is playing tackle. He play Guard at Maryland is is smallish (just under 300 lbs) for a guard. Now, I'd like to see how he does at Center. Brown is a little smallsih for Tackle but seems to have th perfect size to play Guard. And as mentioned he's nasty as hell too.

Quote="Rinehart looks like everything Jansen was coming out, except he's quicker than Jon was."

No offense, but no effing way.

Jon Jansen started 48 games for Michigan at tackle, and was pulverizing Big-10 defenders for four years. There's just no comparison.

And the whole question just seems illogical.

I feel ya, but some of the stuff Chad did was pretty amazing. Granted, he did not go up aganst the type of players Jon did @ Michigan, but I think we really need to upgrade that position. I like Stephon, but the one thing he isnt is nasty. Chad is. I like Nasty guys, you need that on the O-line. If Stephon really steps it up and ends up being a really good player, I'd be really happy. But I have a feeling Chad is the total package, and I'd like to see him on the field. Pete Kendall is another guy he could very obviously fight for a starting position with, but I'd like to see Brown have a change to get in there as well.

We've got Samuels, Jansen and Heyer as our top three tackles.

We've got Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall and Jason Fabini as our top three guards.

Which one obviously needs an infusion of young talent? Especially with Fabini's career winding down, Randy with his injury history, and Kendall on the last year of his contract at age 35?[/qutoe]

Guard might need the solid backup, but I think Jon is our weakest link. Watching him in preseason last year, he was getting blown up by everyone.

Let Jansen and Heyer fight it out at RT. I'm not one of the people on this board so quick to write off Jon, but if heyer wins the job, so be it.

Then let Rinehart fight it out with Kendall. If Kendall holds on, great. Rinehart can backup and hopefully be ready to take over next year.

Heyer might not be ready to step in yet, but it looks like he's worked pretty hard, so he might be. I just want to see him alot more nasty and physically knocking people back. Kendall's job is going to be up for grabs as well I think, and it's very possible that Chad ends up playing there.

If Buges took him as a guard, then I say keep Rinehart at guard. I trust Buges opinion on the OL over anyone on this board.

So do I.:D

Besides, how do we know Rinehart won't start out at guard, and then transition over to tackle after a couple seasons? We don't, but it is a real possibility. Besides, if Rinehart had a real shot at tackle, Buges would have him lining up there.

I would have to agree. I havent heard where Chad had been lining up.

We dont, but usually guys move from Tackle to Guard, it's it's later in their career when they physically are not they player hey used to be. (See Fabini)

I agree with Jason, the apparent bias against Jansen seems to be more the reason why this would even be considered, given that we have nobody backing-up 35 year-old Kendall at guard if Rinhart moves to tackle.

Fabini plays Guard and Brown will probably be playing guard. And I would like to keep Brown, Crummey (I see him at Center) and Rinehart. I have nothing against Jon, at all. I just have seen his play really fall off the past 3-4 years. He used to be a very physical player but he has really lost that part of his game.

My first thought was: who the hell is Chad Rinehart?

Them I remembered.

Anyway' date=' I would be pretty shocked if we had another rookie starting at right tackle this year.[/quote']

In all honesty I would be suprised too. But I'd rather get our 5 best guys out there. Now, if Jon can start playing like he did 4 years ago I'd be really happy. I'd rather see a guy out there that was a vet and give guys like Brown, Rinehart, and Crummey a couple years to get ready.

OK - We've got Jon, Heyer, Wade at RT; Thomas, Fabini, Brown at RG; Rabach, DeVan (give the kid a chance), Crummey at C; Kendall, Rinehart at LG; Samuels and who? at LT. Is this where Rinehart doubles in his development? That is eleven on the Oline, someone's got to go, right? Anybody make a guess?

Archived