Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Bad Waiting/Food Serving Experience Thread

big#44

In response to the bad restaurant thread i figured i would post this thread to show the flip side of the coin. any current/former waiters or restaurant employes post a story about a customer or table who was just a plain bad experience to serve. ill see if i can top it with one of my nightmares. :doh:

Plenty of people suck these days... the list could go on for ages...

teenagers

old people

foreigners

I wish there was a customer ettiquette sign on the front door of all restaurants. I am the most patient, gracious, customer ever simply because I know how it feels to have an ******* table... I also tip really well. Never ever under 20% unless it was the worst service of my entire life, absolutely ever. haha.

I loved my table today of about 5 eleven year old girls, taking up my six-top and ordering a medium french fry and two small milkshakes. ...seriously?

From my friend's blog:

For all of you who DON'T wait tables!!!

If you go out to eat, or plan to EVER again... READ THIS!

HOW TO TIP

Easy tip: take 10% of the total price of the ticket and then double it.

($50.00 tab = $5.00 x 2 = $10.00 would be an alright tip.)

The next time you're out eating at a resturant, look at your server. Do you think they are really happy to be doing that job? The answer is no, they are not, but it's what we do, and we do it for the money so please help them out. Its a tougher job than you think and you should pay them accordingly!

Also for those who order TOGO at restaurants like Ruby Tuesday, Apple bees, and all those other places with designated TOGO team - yes they do work for tips, especially tip them if they are delivering it to your car!!!! You should tip them like you tip a server more if it is inclement weather, do you really think that they want to walk outside in the rain to take you your food and get nothing? if you don't want to tip go to McDonald's!!

There are SO many people out there flooding the restaurants w/o any knowledge of how to tip. Here is a short guide for the general public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

1. CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":

If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items. We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work. Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restraunt. It's very distracting and rude to others eating, not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

2. "THE CAMPERS":

If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money. Not to mention, if you are our last table we have to wait for you to leave before we can leave.

3. COMPLIMENTS:

Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is not a tip. If we are good, let us know by leaving us more money. We can't pay our bills on compliments. It's not that we don't appreciate the praise, its just that if you say that and then leave 10% it's an insult.

4. THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS:

Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. It is insulting that you assume we are without religion and must save us. Again, like 3, we can't pay bills with prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out.

5. TIPPING:

It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. Look at the first number of your bill. ie. if your bill is $30, double the 3 & you have a $6 tip. If the second number is more than 5 however, you must add a dollar. Remember, our companies pay usLESS THEN minimum wage (minumum wage for servers is $6.75 in CA, $3.13 in FL, $3.09 in MARYLAND & IA, $2.13 in NJ, 2.65 in MI, 2.15 in OK, $2.13 in TX and $2.13 in VA [by the way the servers do not get a min wage increase along with everyone else]). And we are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway. So if your meal is $100 and you leave $10 and we tip out $4-5 to the busser, bartender, and whoever else then we pay tax on 10 dollars and we make $5. It seems small but it adds up. How many times do you eat out per week and do this?

6. THE COMPLAINERS:

If you get a discount because your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.

7. THE FREE STUFF:

If you happen to get anything for free and you did not have a problem with your dining experience, most of the time it is because the server thinks you will realize that they are giving it to you for free. There should be extra tip thanking the server for the free item. They could get in a lot of trouble giving away free stuff. You should give them hazard pay for it.

8. THE LATE ONES:

If you come into the restaurant 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet ass time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do side work and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Denny's if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

9. THE TABLE HOGGERS:

If you only come in for coffee or a dessert, to do paper work, or to have a meeting, don't sit there taking up our booths for hours. We are not Starbucks or a hotel restraunt. If you want to sit for hours, go there or else you better leave a good tip for us and camping fee included.

10. THE GREET:

When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing, please let us know. We honestly want to know how you are doing. And ask us how we are doing as well. It's called manners. If you are in a bad mood we want to know that from the beginning. A confused stare or complete silence does not suffice as a reply to "How are you doing?". Also most of us are REQUIRED to say certain things during the greeting, so please don't interrupt our greeting and say "I want coffee", "Can we get some bread?", or "What are the soups?" Just sit tight for a damn minute & let us talk. You're not helping us out & saving us time by stopping our greet, you are pissing us off.

11. THOSE DAMN CELL PHONES:

Don't ever talk on your cell phone in a restaurant. This is probably the rudest thing to do. If you must be on your cell, at least keep your voice down in respect for other customers. If you are on your cell phone when we walk up to greet your table we will walk away and not return until you get off your phone. Just show some respect and give us your attention for a couple of minutes.

12. THE PICKY PEOPLE:

When you're taken to a table, sit there. There's a reason you were taken to that table and it's because that server is next on the rotation. If you prefer a certain table, section, window seat etc. specify that to the host/hostess BEFORE they walk you to your table!! Don't wait till they get to the VERY back of the restaraunt then ask "can we have a booth?" "Can we sit by the window?" No! The reason you weren't sat by the window or in a booth is most likely because the server by the window or the server with the booths just got sat and you will receive better service if you stay put. If you ask BEFOREHAND the hostess has time to sit you accordingly. They have time to find you a table where you will be happy to sit AND receive good service!

13. THE WAVERS:

If you wave at me or try to talk to me while I am talking to another table or have a huge tray in my hand, I WILL ignore you. We have other people besides you to take care of and unless we are standing still or hanging out by a computer, we are doing something. It is rude to think we will stop what we are doing for another table just to come help you. Let me put this heavy ass tray down in the middle of the dining room to find out you want more sauce. Do not grab me, or wave, or shake your glass, or call me ma'am or waiter or any other pet-name you want to call me because you were on your cell, or talking, or interrupted my initial greet where I told you my damn name!

Case in point, be courteous, stop being an ass, and obey the cardinal rule: Don't F*K with the people that handle your food!"

I could never wait tables and understand it is stressful, but I have to say there are too many waiters/waitresses that should not be around people and should be in another line of work. I come across so many rude anti-social food servers its' incredible. Some of this might stem from rude customers, but still....smile and keep going until the shift is up.

I could never wait tables and understand it is stressful, but I have to say there are too many waiters/waitresses that should not be around people and should be in another line of work. I come across so many rude anti-social food servers its' incredible. Some of this might stem from rude customers, but still....smile and keep going until the shift is up.

And I completely agree with you there. I'm just about the happiest server you can come across (which really makes a ****ty tip feel like a slap in the face). I will not argue with the fact that there are a few servers where i work who really need to learn how to smile once in a while. or at least get better at faking sincerity. haha.

And I completely agree with you there. I'm just about the happiest server you can come across (which really makes a ****ty tip feel like a slap in the face). I will not argue with the fact that there are a few servers where i work who really need to learn how to smile once in a while. or at least get better at faking sincerity. haha.

BTW, thanks for the tipping advice, I always try and tip 20%. One reason tips are bad is because a lot of people have those old tip cards from 1980 in their wallets and purses that say tip 10%-15%. :laugh:

Also for those who order TOGO at restaurants like Ruby Tuesday, Apple bees, and all those other places with designated TOGO team - yes they do work for tips, especially tip them if they are delivering it to your car!!!! You should tip them like you tip a server more if it is inclement weather, do you really think that they want to walk outside in the rain to take you your food and get nothing? if you don't want to tip go to McDonald's!!

this is one that i've often wondered about. but i don't buy that i "should tip them like i tip a regular server..." they don't have to check back to make sure everything is ok, they don't have to run and get the condiment i forgot to ask for that i remember once i start my meal, they don't have to re-fill my drinks and they don't have to clean up after me...

but for anyone that can answer my question: does the server that gets relegated as the "to-go" person for the night get paid the same hourly rate as the servers on the inside?

BTW, thanks for the tipping advice, I always try and tip 20%. One reason tips are bad is because a lot of people have those old tip cards from 1980 in their wallets and purses that say tip 10%-15%. :laugh:

"george costanza is my mentor. he's taught me so much."

"like what, how to calculate 6% of a restaurant check?"

this is one that i've often wondered about. but i don't buy that i "should tip them like i tip a regular server..." they don't have to check back to make sure everything is ok, they don't have to run and get the condiment i forgot to ask for that i remember once i start my meal, they don't have to re-fill my drinks...

but for anyone that can answer my question: does the server that gets relegated as the "to-go" person for the night get paid the same hourly rate as the servers on the inside?

at ruby tuesdays they get paid 4 dollars as opposed to the regular 3.76 or whatever. :rolleyes:

not saying you should tip them like a server, but seriously a couple bucks is at least appreciated. the organize all your food in the bags, make sure everything is right, stock you utensils and ketchup and so forth, etc etc.

not saying its hard work just they have to do this on top of all of the customers they have in the restaurant.

at ruby tuesdays they get paid 4 dollars as opposed to the regular 3.76 or whatever. :rolleyes:

not saying you should tip them like a server, but seriously a couple bucks is at least appreciated. the organize all your food in the bags, make sure everything is right, stock you utensils and ketchup and so forth, etc etc.

not saying its hard work just they have to do this on top of all of the customers they have in the restaurant.

here's the thing, i still tip them usually around 20%. i do it only because i've been a server before. i don't think i should "have" to, just because the level of service isn't comparable. they won't get more than 20%, usually if i eat in, the server gets a bit more than that.

i also didn't know if they had other tables or not...are they sometimes only doing to go, like on a busy friday night for example?

While I tend to agree with the majority of dlsf's post, I take issue with two of the points in particular. Keep in mind that I am generally a pretty good customer and consistently tip over 20% for decent service... I'm just a little averse to waiters complaining about their customers so much.

8. THE LATE ONES:

If you come into the restaurant 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet ass time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do side work and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Denny's if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

If I walk into a restaurant that is nearing closing time but is still serving, I am doing you a personal favor by getting my ass out of there quickly. There's no denying that working longer than you have to sucks but this is really something you should probably be taking up with management. If closed really means closed you need to either make this clear before you sit someone or start turning people away prior to close as a policy.

13. THE WAVERS:

If you wave at me or try to talk to me while I am talking to another table or have a huge tray in my hand, I WILL ignore you. We have other people besides you to take care of and unless we are standing still or hanging out by a computer, we are doing something. It is rude to think we will stop what we are doing for another table just to come help you. Let me put this heavy ass tray down in the middle of the dining room to find out you want more sauce. Do not grab me, or wave, or shake your glass, or call me ma'am or waiter or any other pet-name you want to call me because you were on your cell, or talking, or interrupted my initial greet where I told you my damn name!

The flag down can be rude if your waiter or waitress has clearly got his or her hands full. More often than not, though, the wave can be somewhat of a necessity to get any service from a reasonably busy waiter. Besides... if you're absolutely swamped, is it really that hard to politely tell a customer that you're busy and will be with them in a moment? Being friendly and responsive when someone flags you down is pretty much necessary if you want people to feel content with their service and reflect that feeling of satisfaction in the tip.

Also, I think its nothing short of stupid to expect someone who you will spend exactly 5 minutes of your time with to remember your name.

I'm one of the best tippers you'll ever meet. When my friends & I go out, it's over 20% every time, usually 22-25.

But seeing that "How To Tip" bull****, just makes me want to leave nothing. I know being a waiter/waitress isn't fun, but being an ******* is even worse....

Okay, while I understand being a waiter/waitress sucks on some occasions, I also don't feel you have much room to complain about all the stuff you guys complain about.

If a kid dumps something on the table, the parents should clean it. BUT, if they don't it's your job and the bus person's job to clean it. You're not a maid, I get it, but you're an employee of the restaurant. The parents shouldn't have to "pay you extra" to do your job.

It's not my job to ask you how you're doing. You're doing a job, that comes with asking a customer how they're doing. I'm not going to reply to a question of "how is everything, you doing alright?" with "GREAT! How are you doing?". Give me a break. That's not manners. I did it all the time when I worked in customer service with annoying pissant customers. It was my job. I never cried or complained about that part of it. It's obnoxious to think a customer is going to ask you "How are you doing" back.

Oh, and if I'm on my cell phone, live with it. Alot of times I pick up my cell phone because you took too damn long to get to my table in the first place.

Oh and if you give me something for free... Thank you. I didn't ask for anything free. I don't owe you anything for giving it to me free. Especialy extra. I'll still tip you, usually more than 20% anyways. But if YOU make the choice to bring me something I didn't ask for, that's on you.

Now, I'm done with that part. Moving on to the fact that I understand customers can be douchebags. I'm not one of them, despite what you might derive from this post. I am always kind and curteous to the waitstaff. I say please and thank you and I always tip them well (when they do a good job, which is 95% of the time). There are ALOT of douchebags out there and that makes people bitter, which is where I'm guessing these tipping tips come from. But not everyone is out to get you when this stuff happens.

I enjoy eating out. I enjoy being respectful. I like my waitstaff to take care of me because I'm being kind and courteous to them. They deserve people being courteous to them. They have a hard enough time with some people.

18% minimum tip is horse****. If you suck, I'm probably giving you 10-15%. I usually tip pretty well, between 20-25%.

In terms of free stuff - I generally include the price of that item into my tip, especially at bars (different animal, I know) if I ordered it. If I didn't order it, then I'll bump up the tip by half the cost of the item or some similar amount. But if I get for example a free pizza because it took an hour and a half to get out to me, I'm not including that **** in my tip. :laugh:

Servers are severely overpaid. They have the easiest job in the resturaunt, typically only work 4 or 5 hours, and can make over a bill or two. What moron can't carry food to a table and fill drink orders? Cooks, dishwashers, and busboys all work twice as hard, but make about half of what a server makes. Did I mention that unlike servers, they usually have to work 8 hour shifts because they have to stay and clean the place? So they work longer and harder and make less.

I only tip if the service is good, and even then it's only 10%. This 20% bull**** that servers think they are entitled to is just that-bull****. If I take my girlfriend out and spend $40 on dinner, I'm not leaving you $8 for the less than 5 minutes of actual work invested in my table.

Server here...

I work at a bar Friday-Monday 5pm-3AM every shift, I love it. I'm just going to ramble, bear with me...

First off, if you have a good time because your server was joking around and making you laugh, tip 20%.

If your server may not have been personable, but, got everything right, tip 20%.

If ticket times were long and your server didn't apologize (especially if the restaurant isn't busy) tip 15%.

If your server wasn't personable, didn't get everything right, and never apologized, tip whatever you want.

Servers know when they screw up, if they apologize saying "I'm sorry, I didn't ring that in right" or if they say they just forgot to put your appitizer in, they are knowingly risking their tip. If honesty is important to them, they will tell you, regardless of tip.

The greatest thing I can say about serving is the tables who don't consider you an employee, but talk to you like you're actually sitting at the table. (Those, I don't care how they tip, because they take my mind off the fact that I'm actually working). A couple of examples,

There's a group of regulars from Ruby Tuesday's, they always come and sit in my section, I'm usually not busy, they ask how my night's been, and I ask them how their's has been. Honestly, I can't tell you whether they tip well or not, because I never look at the tips. If they don't tip well, I don't want it to get into my mind and I favor another table over them the next time they're in, if they do tip well, I can't give them any better service than I already do.

Wavers: I don't mind if you wave for me, because you shouldn't have to do that. One thing you DON'T do to me is while I'm in a conversation with another table, even if it looks like I'm laughing and whatnot, don't interrupt me unless I've been talking with them for 2 minutes, (after 2 minutes, either I forgot about you as a table, or I can't get away from the table because they KEEP talking)

People who don't leave the bar by 2:15AM, here's the deal, at my bar, we close at 2:00am, I'm scheduled to leave at 3am, that includes:

Breaking down all server stations (Taking nozzles off the soda machines, restocking napkins, etc, taking back and washing tea urns), putting all chairs up in the restaurant (I can't do that until the bar is empty), sweeping the whole bar (I can't do that unless all chairs are up), and mopping (I can't do that unless I've swept). If you're not out by 2:15 (really about 2:20), I have to stay after 3am. As you can see, I've already been scheduled for 40 hours and my restaurant does NOT like overtime, which means I'm probably going to have to come in at 6pm instead of 5pm one day and miss out on 4 or 5 tables in that one hour between 5 and 6...

As a rule, about 90% of my tables are awesome or at least polite. The 10% ruins other server's nights, but not mine. I've been in this industry too long to look at the bad over the good.

Oh yeah, and if you're a server and come into my restaurant, in my section, I expect no less than 30%... We've got to help other people in our industry out... On Tuesday, my tab was $24 and I gave him 2 $20's and walked off.

Crap, I told you I was rambling... If something you order is half off (Wings, burgers, beer, whatever) when you get the bill, tip like the food was full price... AKA If wings are $3.99 instead of $7.99, when you get the bill and you've got 4 orders of wings and your tab is ~$17, tip like your tab was $34, which means a 20% tip of $17 (3.40) turns into a 10% tip, you should at the minimum leave $5 because that's about 15% of $34...

If you don't know how to calculate tips...

Look at the total... move the decimal place one place to the left (That's <<--- this way) you now have 10%. If you want to give 20%, double it. If you want to give 15% half it and add it to the original... It's not that hard, tip cards are very unnecessary.

I think I'm done for now...

I LOVE my job, I've always said that I have never had this much fun at a job EVER. We cater to a 21-35 year old crowd, I have a lot of fun, meet some really cool people and have enough money to pay my bills.

I did have one table (since this is supposedly a thread to rant on bad tables) who came in, ordered a lot of food, a lot of drinks, and ended up having a tab of about $155 (for 4 people), I gave them excellent service (even after they left the table and went to the game room to play pool. Ordering shots of cuervo and margaritas. Well they ended up leaving me about $6 for all of that... (Not even 5%!!!) Nothing was screwed up and their drinks were never empty.

One thing people may not know is that servers at my restaurant have to tip bartenders out 5% of total alcohol sales, which means, if you come in to drink and only have drinks, and leave less than 5% (doesn't happen often), that means that I just PAID for the honor of serving you. Same thing with food, I have to tip the hosts out 1%, so if you don't tip me... once again... I've paid the restaurant to serve you...

Crap... Still not done...

I've had tables who didn't ask how much something was (usually Patron [a $9 shot]) and when they got the bill they were outraged it was that expensive and got mad at ME for not telling them how much it was. Now here's how I look at that... If you order Patron, and I say "Just to let you know, it's $9 per shot" you'll feel like I'm trying to say that "You can't afford Patron"... I'm not going to do that, I don't judge people just by looking at them, once again, been in the industry too long to do that. I always tell people that I'm more than willing to tell you how much a drink costs if you ask, but I'm not going to demean you by telling you without you asking.

Don't ask me to "hook you up" because I'll tell you that the hook up button on our computer is broken.

Don't complain to me that your drink tastes weak, there's nothing I can do about it, except the next time tell the bartender to put less sour mix in it, they don't freepour, they Jig, that way they know the correct amount is going in. If another place puts more alcohol in, go there, don't expect us to do it though...

Serving is actually pretty hard to do. It's not something that everyone can do. Thick skin, positive personality, good memory, awareness of surroundings, ability to judge people's moods without asking, stamina (carrying 20 pound trays, balancing them all shift long works your abs, back and legs more than you think). Try dodging a 3 year old running around when you're balancing 6 drinks on a drink tray (I've done it once... He just darted right for my knees, I stopped dead in my tracks, mid step, the drinks tilted, but I saved it).

If a server doesn't write your order down, and gets it wrong, tip whatever you want. It's a risk they take by doing it... Some people are really impressed by it, some people think it's just another way for them to screw up... I will write my orders down when I feel like I need to... (I can remember about 6 normal orders, but if I have a table of 4, and I get to the 3rd person and they say like "No salami or italian dressing on my sub", I start to write down the order.

Like I said before, I LOVE my job, anyone who hates it, shouldn't be working for that particular restaurant, you can always find another restaurant that fits your personallity better. Before working at the place I work at, I worked in fine dining... I hated it because that wasn't my personality, I like to joke and interact with tables, they wouldn't let me do that, so I went to a place that let me do it.

Servers are severely overpaid. They have the easiest job in the resturaunt, typically only work 4 or 5 hours, and can make over a bill or two. What moron can't carry food to a table and fill drink orders? Cooks, dishwashers, and busboys all work twice as hard, but make about half of what a server makes. Did I mention that unlike servers, they usually have to work 8 hour shifts because they have to stay and clean the place? So they work longer and harder and make less.

I only tip if the service is good, and even then it's only 10%. This 20% bull**** that servers think they are entitled to is just that-bull****. If I take my girlfriend out and spend $40 on dinner, I'm not leaving you $8 for the less than 5 minutes of actual work invested in my table.

If you are ever in Greensboro, DO NOT stop at my store, at about midnight, when I have 8-12 tables, the only server in the bar, on hour 7 of my 10 hour shift, watching the grill cooks/dishwashers walk out the door because everyone is just drinking, and order food, and leave me 10%.

DO NOT ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT WE DO!!!

DO NOT ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT WE DO!!!

I do know what you do. When I was younger I worked in a resturaunt for two years. The service industry is pretty much the same in most places.

So what-you worked a double? And there is no way that the cooks and dishwahsers are leaving when people are still in the building. You must not work for a corporately owned resturaunt if that's true.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say, I'd like to see you wait tables. My paychecks are usually around $10 or $15, for 30-40 hours of work. I live off of my tips. I work double-shifts quite often which often are about 10 hours. We don't have food runners, and have one busser, who a portion of our tips are going to. We dont' have a cleaning staff. We clean everthing ourselves. When the night's over we scrub the restaurant, bathrooms and all. This is all on our pathetic hourly wage. I hope you never come into my restaurant, because an insulting tip like that would be outstandingly upsetting.

Anyway...

I'm not trying to tell people how to tip, and I didn't write that first entry about tipping, just copy-pasted. I'm not saying plenty of waiters don't deserve bad tips. If they ****ed everything up, and they don't seem to care, then of course you shouldn't tip them. But if they do a good job, 10% is really insulting.

About To-Go Ordering, I'm not in much of a position to advise on that. We don't bring things out to the car, people pick it up at the counter. It's not expected that you tip in the restaurant I work at, the people at the bar who bring you your food will receive the tip if you leave on, and they're greatly appreciated, but it is true that they make a higher hourly wage than servers.

I make $3.08 an hour. My last paycheck was about $28... that was a HUGE paycheck. Often times, my paychecks are VOID, because the government has taxed so much of it that there's in nothing left to take out... Servers really do live on their tips.

And to FlyinO who seems to think leaving $8 on a $40 bill is outrageously unreasonable, if you really can't afford leaving an $8 tip, maybe you shouldn't be going out for $40 meals. If your server did well and you left them 10%... I'm not trying to be insulting, but that's really just kind of rude.

Archived