Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be Prepared for Ramsey's Return in 2009

Oldfan

Three things will have to happen to bring Patrick Ramsey back here in 2009.

It's a longshot bet, but the chances are better than you might think.

Jason Campbell will have to fail this year's test.

Jason has been plagued by inconsistency since his college days. I think he has a tough time keeping his mechanics together. I'd say the odds are against him developing the consistent accuracy needed to run the WCO effectively. Moreover, after Collins took over running the Saunders offense, we saw the difference that making the right reads could make. Play for play, the WCO is more difficult to run than Al's scheme. That doesn't bode well for Jason either.

Ramsey will have to get a chance to start and will have to play well in Denver's WCO.

Jay Cutler is the most talented athlete in the NFL at the QB position, but he plays with a reckless abandon that's likely to result in injury. If that happens, Patrick will get his chance to start some games.

Like Ron Jaworski, I'm hard-headed about the guy's ability. Physically and mentally, Patrick has the tools to be a grade B starting QB in the NFL. He just needs the right system and a decent supporting cast.

We have early indications that our WCO might look like Denver's with the QB's rolling out often. Ramsey's high release allows him to roll left or right and throw with good accuracy. My guess is that he picked Denver for that reason. He fits that style of WCO.

Denver has good receivers, but their O line had trouble protecting their QB in 2007. If they get a little better at it this year, Ramsey will have something to work with if he gets his chance to start. In his early work with Denver's WCO, Patrick put up three-fourths of Denver's point production in the 2007 preseason. In his only action during the regular season, his one game stats, indicating an average performance, would look better if his recevers hadn't dropped six passes. One receiver dropped four, two would have resulted in TDs.

Ramsey and the Redskins will have to agree to terms.

If he doesn't redo his contract with the Broncos, Patrick will be free for 2009. If he gets his chance to start and does well, he will be in demand for a WCO team lacking a bond fide starter.

Vinny and Dan drafted him and would probably be delighted if Patrick came back. With Joe gone, with Zorn here, with our young receivers and a system that fits -- The Redskins and Patrick Ramsey could be a nice fit in 2009.

Does the nursing home know you are on their computer OldMan I mean OldFan?!?!?!?!

Denver has good receivers, but their O line had trouble protecting their QB in 2007.

Hmm, sounds kinda familiar...

... an average performance, would look better if his recevers hadn't dropped six passes. One receiver dropped four, two would have resulted in TDs.

Damn, where have I heard that before?

and he looked aweful in preseason and got yanked after a half of football.:laugh:

And even with the benefit of hindsight, you still think that was a good decision?

If you argued it at the time, you were just wrong. If you're still saying Joe made the right move, it's just plain stupid.

There's a chance Ramsey doesn't even make the Bronco's roster this year. The talk in Denver is they're going to bring in someone like Leftwich or Culpepper to back up Cutler.

The talk in Denver? You mean on the Broncomania board? Those guys are bigger idiots than we have on ES.:D

Ramsey is a deep ball QB. He doesn't have a very quick release. I don't know how well he'd fit in a WCO.

His rep as a deep ball qb is a bit of a myth. He throws a great intermediate pass -- the 20 yard strike on a rope. But his deep ball is crappy. No touch and doesn't get enough air under it.

And even with the benefit of hindsight, you still think that was a good decision?

If you argued it at the time, you were just wrong. If you're still saying Joe made the right move, it's just plain stupid.

If Joe thought Brunell was better, then yes he is right. My plan since he draft JC was to start Brunell for the next 1.5 years and he can learn from him and then in year 3 of Gibbs 2.0, JC can take over mid year or the beginning

Wait, are you saying that is was a bad move to pull PRam after he got clotheslined by Briggs after standing in the pocket with the awareness of a scarecrow? Dude Ramsey was the worst quarterback I have ever seen wear the burgundy and gold, and Im including Schuler, Wuerffel, Jeff George, and Tony Banks in that list. Dude has NO IDEA what's going on after the ball is snapped. And he's lame and has no leadership skills to speak of.

Ramsey is a deep ball QB. He doesn't have a very quick release. I don't know how well he'd fit in a WCO.

You have it wrong. The deep ball is a weakness. He has the arm strength, but he doesn't put enough air under his throws. The Fade is another weakness. I mark him down on those things, but he is very quick and accurate on short throws. No one gets the ball out faster and more accurately on WR screens than Ramsey.

In contrast, Jason throws that WR screen a tad late, high, and often with the tail of the football down which gives people like Mike Sellars fits because it requires more concentration to catch it.

Wait, are you saying that is was a bad move to pull PRam after he got clotheslined by Briggs after standing in the pocket with the awareness of a scarecrow? Dude Ramsey was the worst quarterback I have ever seen wear the burgundy and gold, and Im including Schuler, Wuerffel, Jeff George, and Tony Banks in that list. Dude has NO IDEA what's going on after the ball is snapped. And he's lame and has no leadership skills to speak of.

You think Patrick Ramsey is worse than:

Heath Schuler, who has a career completion percentage of 49.2%, 15 TD to 33 INT, and a QB rating of 54.3.

Danny Wuerffel, who has a career completion percentage of 52.6%, 12 TD to 22 INT, and a QB rating of 56.4.

Tony Banks, who has never had a season where he had a completion percentage of 60% or better.

Jeff George, who supposedly has good leadership skills?

WTF?

You have it wrong. The deep ball is a weakness. He has the arm strength, but he doesn't put enough air under his throws. The Fade is another weakness. I mark him down on those things, but he is very quick and accurate on short throws. No one gets the ball out faster and more accurately on WR screens than Ramsey.

In contrast, Jason throws that WR screen a tad late, high, and often with the tail of the football down which gives people like Mike Sellars fits because it requires more concentration to catch it.

Ramsey has no confidence, hes scared as a puppy in the backfield, no leadership skills, no qb vision.

Plus guys like Mike Sellers shouldn't be catching the football anyways. Moss has only done well with a light throwing qb

To heck with Ramsey, I want a long random post on what it's gonna take to bring Chad Morton back.

A. Rock Cartwright has to retire suddenly and open a couple Quizno franchises.

B. Morton has to have a second bladder implanted in his torso, which he'll use to avoid suspicion as he dopes up and regains his old explosiveness.

C. Morton and the Redskins must agree to terms.

If Joe thought Brunell was better, then yes he is right. My plan since he draft JC was to start Brunell for the next 1.5 years and he can learn from him and then in year 3 of Gibbs 2.0, JC can take over mid year or the beginning

Joe was proven wrong. Brunell, whose skills were declining played with more talent around him than Ramsey had with Spurrier yet their win pct. was the same, about 45% as I recall.

You can't possibly justify Joe's move in hindsight. All you have to do is look at the won-lost records.

Ramsey's won-lost record, mostly with Spurrier, was as good as Brunell's with Gibbs. So, how do you figure Joe made a smart move to go with the older guy?

Joe was proven wrong. Brunell, whose skills were declining played with more talent around him than Ramsey had with Spurrier yet their win pct. was the same, about 45% as I recall.

You can't possibly justify Joe's move in hindsight. All you have to do is look at the won-lost records.

Yup, 9-6 record as a starter and throwing what 20+td on a team with no talent at WR and a 2nd year TE in cooley.

WCO more difficult than Saunder's????? I'm not so sure about that buddy. Oh yea, I'm not so sure about everything else you said as well.

More difficult because it happens faster. That's why Zorn is trying to speed everything up with Jason. More three step drops.

Yup, 9-6 record as a starter and throwing what 20+td on a team with no talent at WR and a 2nd year TE in cooley.

Umm, did we just erase 2004 and 2006? Brunell's record as starter for the Redskins is 15-18,.

And Santana Moss / Clinton Portis / Chris Cooley / Joe Gibbs / Top 10 Defense is still better than Ramsey having to field a team with only Coles as his legitimate weapon. The rest of his supporting cast included Trung Candidate / Rod Gardner / Steve Spurrier / Bottom 10 Defense.

Archived