Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were the Cowboys initially the Longhorns?

Mr. S

These different names may have been used in the formative days of the franchise, but I am nearly certain that the franchise never actually played a regular season game under any other name than the Cowboys.

As mentioned above, the Dallas Texans were a completely separate franchise, which became the Kansas City Chiefs.

This seems to confirm Cowboys as their only name.

1960: Clint Murchison, Jr., and Bedford Wynne were awarded an expansion franchise in the NFL at the annual league meeting in Miami Beach. The Cowboys were to play as a "swing" team, playing every other team one time during the first season, although listed in the Western Division standings. On September 24th the Cowboys host the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Cotton Bowl in their first official game. The Cowboys held the lead into the 4th Quarter but watched helpless as QB Bobby Lane led the Steelers to a 35-24 come from behind win. The Cowboys would go to lose their first 10 games before earning a tie with Giants in New York, in the next to last game of the season. The Cowboys would go on to lose their final game of the season to close out their inaugural season winless at 0-11-1.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/dallas/cowboys.html

That link was great as it had some info on the side, confirming The Steers and The Rangers. But it seems like those were they way people may have referred to them, not necessarily the official way.

I just remember a table next to us full of older guys who seemed genuinely annoyed as to the answer for that question. I'm guessing they were die hard Cowboys fans, and it makes sense. I would be real annoyed if someone said the Redskins were initially the Boston Head Scalpers or Boston Bean Counters or something equally random.

Interesting, pose a legitimate historical question about the Cowboys and not one puke fan has yet chimed in with an answer.

Good to see that once again the term "Bandwagon" is synonymous with puke fan.

So true...I thought the exact same thing. I can picture a 'poke fan wearing his TO jersey staring at the question and scratching his head.

Interesting, pose a legitimate historical question about the Cowboys and not one puke fan has yet chimed in with an answer.

Good to see that once again the term "Bandwagon" is synonymous with puke fan.

Refer to post #2

Archived