Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: T.O. excused from camp; Glenn demands release

slinky

Actually, last year he was expected to be back MUCH sooner than he actually was, which is why Jerry is wanting an injury settlement contract signed before he steps foot on the practice field. They probably waited so long because they were wanting to see if they could pick up a #2 via free agency or draft trades and nothing panned out. This is a fairly new topic but its not brand new, it's only recently grabbed the media attention because of the absence from OTA's, Mini-camp, and now Terry Glenn asking to be released. As of cap room, I'm unsure at this point. Don't believe anyone has reported those figures yet, but I am curious of that myself.
It might be a fairly knew topic to the media but we've been discussing the Cowboys needing to bring in another WR since the 2007 FA period and draft.

It might be a fairly knew topic to the media but we've been discussing the Cowboys needing to bring in another WR since the 2007 FA period and draft.

I agree 100%. It will get addressed next year no doubt, just hope it doesn't bite us in the butt this year.

Now I'm not going to be a complete idiot and say we can rely on Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, etc.. but, I wouldn't say we would have a worse corp than say the Raiders given the tragic incident surrounding Javon Walker. Pretty much if TO goes down, we're going to have to rely on the running game to get it done, but that did prove pretty devastating with TO out last year, so hopefully the addition of Felix Jones and Tashard Choice can help out in that department if the situation arises.

Maybe not the worst, but it would be down there. :)

One thing about TO though, he's had a few injuries here and there but overall he's shown to be pretty reliable over his career. But age does have a way of catching up with folks... might happen this year, might not :)

Can that thought even enter your mind?

actually, no... good point :)

What kind of cap space do they get, if any, by the cut?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Glenn is scheduled to count $3.190 million against the cap this year. Because it's June, the Cowboys can spread out the proration of his bonus money this year and next, so that's $1.4 million. There's a savings of $1.7 million.

Next year, however, he would count $2.8 million against the cap, the result of the last two years of proration on his contract.

As for Terry, here is my view. He says he is healthy. Jerry kept a spot for him all year to play a mere game and a half. If he is healthy like he claims, why not sign the waiver, he has nothing to lose if he is. Unless..... he still feels some pain, and knows there is a high possibility that it will get reaggrivated, and wants to cash in if/when it happens. Either way, NFL is a business, your not going to pay full price for something that is damaged.....correct?

I don't think by not signing he is injured. The potential for any injury is there. What if a completely different injury happens. Now all of a sudden he only gets $500k. Football is a sport where injuries happen. I wouldn't sign it either. We say it all the time about player honoring their contract...so...JJ honor the contract you gave the guy...I mean you wouldn't expect him to demand more if he didn't get injured would you? Then why demand he take less if he is injured.

I've thrown that question at them since the draft.

They listed all the other WR's on their roster and stated they'd be in fine shape. Oh and they stated you can't have great backups at every position. With 3 and 4 WR's on the field at the same time, you'd think they'd have brought in a WR............They still might.

Wiz, and I've responded to you almost every time since the draft and ill ask you once again, and refer to this post from here on out I guess.

If T.O. were to go down, this season, do you 100% believe that a rookie WR would be more capable to step in and take over? More so than the WR's that are already on the team? Dont forget, Calvin Johnson came in and only had a little over 750 yds his rookie season.

Now if you talking about the future..... Why can't they get a FA next year, or work a trade still this year? I honestly think you may see BOLDIN on the back of a cowboys jersey....but that could be my high hopes overshadowing reality :silly:

I don't think by not signing he is injured. The potential for any injury is there. What if a completely different injury happens. Now all of a sudden he only gets $500k. Football is a sport where injuries happen. I wouldn't sign it either. We say it all the time about player honoring their contract...so...JJ honor the contract you gave the guy...I mean you wouldn't expect him to demand more if he didn't get injured would you? Then why demand he take less if he is injured.

I could be wrong..... but isnt the waiver to cover this particular injury? Jerry has been more than fair to Terry throughout the past year or so. I totally agree about players honoring their contract, but I really think there is more behind the closed doors on all of this.... something to the point where Jerry held high hopes for Terry, possibly because Terry claimed his knee is feeling better and close to 100%, but the trainers and coaches may see it different in his play, which on the business side, makes Jerry introduce this waiver.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Glenn is scheduled to count $3.190 million against the cap this year. Because it's June, the Cowboys can spread out the proration of his bonus money this year and next, so that's $1.4 million. There's a savings of $1.7 million.

Next year, however, he would count $2.8 million against the cap, the result of the last two years of proration on his contract.

So they'll have a little space to search for another WR. In doing so it will push more cap troubles into next year. I say "more" because with all the big money extensions over the past two years, they must already have much of their funds spoken for.

Thanks for the numbers, I don't remember seeing them.

Wiz, and I've responded to you almost every time since the draft and ill ask you once again, and refer to this post from here on out I guess.
There are threads filled with my responses. No rookie is going to contribute 1200 yards.

Using your CJ example, don't you think a talented rookie filled with potential, contributing 500-750 yards is better then JUST having your current bench?

Patrick Crayton had a decent year because teams must respect TO and Witten. No TO, Witten is doubled and Crayton is in trouble. You're toast without help if TO goes down.:2cents:

There are threads filled with my responses. No rookie is going to contribute 1200 yards.

Using your CJ example, don't you think a talented rookie filled with potential, contributing 500-750 yards is better then JUST having your current bench?

Patrick Crayton had a decent year because teams must respect TO and Witten. No TO, Witten is doubled and Crayton is in trouble. You're toast without help if TO goes down.:2cents:

Crap who was that receiver that played opposite CJ? He was O.K. but I can't remember his name....You know what, I cant even think of the other two WR's on that team who contributed quite nicely taking a little heat off of CJ as well.... maybe you can help me.

My point is....and I'm sick of people saying.....Get rid of T.O. then what. Well here is the simple answer.... The Cowboys will be without an ALL-PRO WR. To answer your question, yes a rookie filled with potential is nice.... BUT, what good is potential when I need immediate results...you know, the question what if T.O. goes down. I dont think we can pause the league for 2+ years and wait for the rookie to develop and continue the season when its convenient.

RECAP: You claim they should have used their 1st rnd pick on MEACHEM. I respectfully disagree. OLB was a more important need for the team because of Ellis' situation and age. Imagine the talk if they did draft Meachem, I personally think that was your dream pick for the boys....being a skins fan and all. This year, could they have moved up in the second round and drafted a rookie WR.....sure. How much would he help THIS 08' season though.

Regardless.... it comes down to the simple point that.... behind T.O. the depth is shallow. Is it possible they could step in and do a good job if this were to happen, sure, is it likely... not so sure. It's obvious they need another legit WR, but its not like jerry ignored the fact, he tried, tried,tried to get a vet and could not comprimise. Think of it like this. The skins were willing to give up multiple reported 1st rounders for CJ and made many other attempts at others with no luck either, that has to make one wonder how high of demands these teams had for these players. It's still early for trades and we may see something in the future here.

RECAP: You claim they should have used their 1st rnd pick on MEACHEM. I respectfully disagree. OLB was a more important need for the team because of Ellis' situation and age. Imagine the talk if they did draft Meachem, I personally think that was your dream pick for the boys....being a skins fan and all.
Recap, the year prior Carpenter was taken to fill for Ellis. (and no I'm not going to start trading links about him being drafted for the inside or the outside again, the game is old).

You'll find when discussing the draft there is no homerism. I know the rosters, the needs and study the players being drafted. The age of TO and Glenn was heavily discussed prior to that draft.

THA was the only one pimping Spencer.

Perhaps on this MB. But outside the world of ES.com, the feeling was that Ellis may not return and if he did, who knew what the turnout would have been. Therefore the smart move was to take Spencer, and I was 100% hoping that was the pick. I liked meachem a lot, but I felt Spencer was more of a necessity.

And im pretty sure DWare was brought in to compliment Ellis and eventually take over the lead at some point.

Perhaps on this MB. But outside the world of ES.com, the feeling was that Ellis may not return and if he did, who knew what the turnout would have been. Therefore the smart move was to take Spencer, and I was 100% hoping that was the pick. I liked meachem a lot, but I felt Spencer was more of a necessity.

And im pretty sure DWare was brought in to compliment Ellis and eventually take over the lead at some point.

You had others if Ellis wasn't able to return including the prior years first round pick. You are telling me you were concerned with a 30 year old Ellis getting to old yet had no concern for having two 32 year old starting WR's?

I don't think any one would argue with your DWare statement.

You had others if Ellis wasn't able to return including the prior years first round pick. You are telling me you were concerned with a 30 year old Ellis getting to old yet had no concern for having two 32 year old starting WR's?

I don't think any one would argue with your DWare statement.

You are forgetting the injury Ellis encountered. I wasnt worried as much of his age as I was his achilles injury. And as for Bobby Carpenter.... You know that was parcells pick, and from day 1 everyone was wondering where he was going to play. I never thought of him as an OLB in the NFL, is he capable, who knows, but I feel he is a better fit for the ILB position.

You are forgetting the injury Ellis encountered. I wasnt worried as much of his age as I was his achilles injury. And as for Bobby Carpenter.... You know that was parcells pick, and from day 1 everyone was wondering where he was going to play. I never thought of him as an OLB in the NFL, is he capable, who knows, but I feel he is a better fit for the ILB position.
No, I didn't forget the Ellis injury. It wasn't question of if he'd play, just if he'd be ready for opening day.

You guys seem way too eager to blame Tuna for questionable drafting. Parcells on his staff made the Cowboys what they are today through the draft.

No, I didn't forget the Ellis injury. It wasn't question of if he'd play, just if he'd be ready for opening day.

You guys seem way too eager to blame Tuna for questionable drafting. Parcells on his staff made the Cowboys what they are today through the draft.

Im not saying all of his drafting, Im saying Bobby Carpenter. I liked bobby at OSU, and I still think he can be a good player, but I dont think he will be best fit at OLB like some may think. Which is why Spencer was brought in, and who did pretty well for a rookie.

Also, Not even Ellis himself was sure if he would be able to come back and play, dont you remember the whole "I might retire, who knows if Ill be able to play again to my potential...." or something like that.

I've thrown that question at them since the draft.

They listed all the other WR's on their roster and stated they'd be in fine shape. Oh and they stated you can't have great backups at every position. With 3 and 4 WR's on the field at the same time, you'd think they'd have brought in a WR............They still might.

I hear Taylor Jacobs is available. :D

Archived