Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: NFC Rankings - Running backs

Chris0894

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=423517

In the latest installment of NFL offseason position rankings, SN's correspondents break down the running backs in the NFC.

1. VIKINGS: They have the best 1-2 punch in the league with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. Peterson has a rare blend of speed and power and freezes defenders with his moves. Taylor is less explosive but runs just as hard.

2. EAGLES: Brian Westbrook is the NFL's most dangerous all-around back. He's almost unstoppable in the open field. Correll Buckhalter is a reliable power runner, and newcomer Lorenzo Booker is a pass-catching threat.

3. REDSKINS: Clinton Portis can still break open a game on any carry. Ladell Betts hits the holes quickly, has good acceleration and is an excellent receiver. Fullback Mike Sellers is a powerful blocker and capable short-yardage back.

4. GIANTS: Few teams can match the depth in the Giants' backfield. Brandon Jacobs is a load but must become more durable. Derrick Ward averaged 4.8 yards per carry in 2007, and Ahmad Bradshaw has the speed to become a star.

5. COWGIRLS: Marion Barber will get his shot to start. He's a battering ram who can get the tough yards and close out games. The team hopes rookie Felix Jones will provide the big-play threat it lacked the past couple of years.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

-----

Kinda cool to see all 4 NFCE teams in the top 5 in this one. Check out the rest of the article, theirs a few i don't agree with but the top 5 looks good to me.

Westbrook gets too much love because of his receiving yards. Portis will have over 2,200 combined yards this year in the West Coast offense and people will not be talking about Westbrook as the #2 RB in the NFC.

Westbrook gets too much love because of his receiving yards. Portis will have over 2,200 combined yards this year in the West Coast offense and people will not be talking about Westbrook as the #2 RB in the NFC.

I don't like the Eagles, but Westbrook is probably one of the most underrated players in the league. He had over 1900 all purpose yards in 2006 and he didn't even make the Pro Bowl. Woops, nevermind, wrong year. He's still underrated though.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=423517

idfr3. REDSKINS: Clinton Portis can still break open a game on any carry. Ladell Betts hits the holes quickly, has good acceleration and is an excellent receiver. Fullback Mike Sellers is a powerful blocker and capable short-yardage back.

-----

Kinda cool to see all 4 NFCE teams in the top 5 in this one. Check out the rest of the article, theirs a few i don't agree with but the top 5 looks good to me.

Please no more passes to Mike Sellers. If Betts is going to be overlooked on carries again, at least throw him the ball more often.

Utilize his strengths to our advantage, or utilize his strengths to increase his trade value to the benefit of our team if nothing else.

Just don't repeat what Gibbs 2 did....allowing him to collect dust and ruining his trade value.

:applause:

I'd almost say we should switch spots with the Eagles on that list.

Portis vs. Westbrook - slight edge to Westbrook, but I think that'll turn around this year.

Betts & Sellers vs. Buckhalter & Booker - goes to us without a doubt.

We have more depth and skill at the position. Outside of that, that list is pretty true.

Westbrook is easily the most underrated player in football.

Take him away from the Eagles and you take away five wins a season, easily.

Completely agree. Westbrook is everything Reggie Bush is hyped up to be.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into another of those 'how much better CP is than the rest of the NFC backs' threads or how this rating is somehow biased against the Skins. I don't think that Clinton's 2007 performance merits that kind of vehement defense.

I'd like to now acknowledge to the ES Board that S. Jackson (Rams RB) is a great running back. Frankly, he's on a par or better than most of the backs that are currently starting in the NFC... including Portis! I don't think many Skins fans wouldn't mind having a back like Jackson supporting Campbells passing attack. Considering what happened to the Rams offense in 2007, Jackson is probably still a bigger running back threat than Portis is in 2008.

RE: Pecking order in the NFC-East. Blocking aside, CP needs to prove he has more running "wiggles" than Westbrook --otherwise I'm not even sure Clinton deserves to be ranked above that 'Iggles back! Frankly, I was not impressed by Portis in 2007; I hated watching as CP usually went quickly down after the first 'touch' by a defender. Also, just how many tackles did Portis break in 2007?

...Come to think of it, the most head fakes I've seen lately from Clinton have been during his "Eastern Motors" commercials.rolleyes.gif

Archived