Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder Hopes WTEM Buy Will Boost Radio Network (M.E.T.)

smokinskinsfan

Just a tip...you'll probably end up needing to change the title of this thread, and putting your question of "Will this mark the end of Czaban" inside the actual post itself. The mods have been pretty specific about getting us to title our threads appropriately.

there is nothing wrong with his title

there is nothing wrong with his title

Yes there is...

1. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual article.

2. It doesn't describe what the thread is actually about.

3. Threads that link to external articles are usually formatted by listing the publication's name and then the title of the article. This does neither.

I think the mods are getting serious about the thread titles because there are too many duplicate threads being made about the same articles precisely because it's impossible to tell what this thread is really about, and it won't show up in searches.

Yes there is...

1. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual article.

2. It doesn't describe what the thread is actually about.

3. Threads that link to external articles are usually formatted by listing the publication's name and then the title of the article. This does neither.

I think the mods are getting serious about the thread titles because there are too many duplicate threads being made about the same articles precisely because it's impossible to tell what this thread is really about, and it won't show up in searches.

I don't know if I agree. I know that he was referring to this article, but what the OP is doing is just raising a question about a guy employed by the redskins.

What kinda gets me is that this was discussed a bit a few days ago.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248192

The fact that he doesn't talk about the article itself doesn't really bother me, as he's just asking a question based on what he reads from the article. Now if that question hadn't been asked a few days ago, I may have been more interested in his reasoning why Czaban may get fired. Just my .02

"WTEM is extremely opinionated, and fairly so, about the Redskins and every other sports franchise in town," said Gilbert, who worked for Shapiro at ESPN. "We wanted these guys and their ability to have strong opinions about things."

yeah, we wanted their abilities so we can make sure they dont say anything negative about the redskins no matter what happens. god this is such bad news. the only way this turns out good is if they leave the shows alone, which i doubt is happening.

The problem is the John Riggins show is just plain awful. I turned it on yesterday and they were going over sports theme songs. :doh:

Plus, the team has deserved some criticism. While people on this board were singing the praises of Ducket, Lloyd, and Brunnel, the 980 guys (especailly Doc Walker) were telling it like it really was.

I don't know if I agree. I know that he was referring to this article, but what the OP is doing is just raising a question about a guy employed by the redskins.

What kinda gets me is that this was discussed a bit a few days ago.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248192

The fact that he doesn't talk about the article itself doesn't really bother me, as he's just asking a question based on what he reads from the article. Now if that question hadn't been asked a few days ago, I may have been more interested in his reasoning why Czaban may get fired. Just my .02

Like I said, I think it's more about trying to avoid duplicate threads about the same article than anything else. For instance, if someone else saw the same article and thought to start a thread about it, there would be no way of THIS thread showing up in a search because the thread title isn't specific enough. The mods also have been cracking down on threads that make you click on them in order to see what the title is referring to, which is also what this one does.

The mods said they preferred us moderating ourselves, and that pointing out things like this (in a respectful manner) was one way of doing so.

"WTEM is extremely opinionated, and fairly so, about the Redskins and every other sports franchise in town," said Gilbert, who worked for Shapiro at ESPN. "We wanted these guys and their ability to have strong opinions about things."

yeah, we wanted their abilities so we can make sure they dont say anything negative about the redskins no matter what happens. god this is such bad news. the only way this turns out good is if they leave the shows alone, which i doubt is happening.

So do you take Riggins criticizing Portis and Moss not being critical of the Redskins?

The problem is the John Riggins show is just plain awful. I turned it on yesterday and they were going over sports theme songs. :doh:

Plus, the team has deserved some criticism. While people on this board were singing the praises of Ducket, Lloyd, and Brunnel, the 980 guys (especailly Doc Walker) were telling it like it really was.

I agree on that...though it is nice to listen when we are on a roll, the butt kissing is pretty hard core...

Though I always hate it when the skins lose, the only good part is the radio show afterward.

My friends and I call it 'The Funeral' since they talk in hushed tones and go from anger to grief in the same sentance like grandma just passed. Totally funny. And they always give away Ipod's and stuff to the skins players for some reason, in hushed tones though..

Like I said, I think it's more about trying to avoid duplicate threads about the same article than anything else. For instance, if someone else saw the same article and thought to start a thread about it, there would be no way of THIS thread showing up in a search because the thread title isn't specific enough. The mods also have been cracking down on threads that make you click on them in order to see what the title is referring to, which is also what this one does.

The mods said they preferred us moderating ourselves, and that pointing out things like this (in a respectful manner) was one way of doing so.

Yeah and at first I agreed with you. But take note that in the OP, he doesn't actually quote the article the way Bubba typically does. So this thread wasn't meant to discuss 'the article'. It was meant to discuss the implications of Snyder's purchase on Czaban's job.

So if another member wants to come in and start a thread actually discussing the article itself, then I feel like they're not violating any rules whatsoever (so long as their discussion isn't the same question about Czaban being fired). I can easily see a discussion about how the union of the Redskins and 980 is something that we needed in this area. I can also see the hatred coming about from Snyder having a monopoly on the local sports media. I feel like those are topics that can be started based on this article without the mods saying that they are too close to this thread (although they may be too close to one another).

EDIT: I guess the OP didn't agree with me.

I did a search the frist time and I didn't see this, now I do..But I was really going after Czaban...I don't like him in general, to much of the whiny middle age stick for me. Everything is always doom and gloom and we should not enjoy just having a team, even though I wanna win bad, since I have never lived in the area when we were good...

Will this be the end of Czabe

It helps if you actually read the article. ;)

Shapiro and Bruce Gilbert, chief executive of Red Zebra, said the content produced by WTEM hosts such as former Georgetown University basketball coach John Thompson, Rick "Doc" Walker, Brian Mitchell, Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin was pivotal to the strategy of expanding Snyder's radio presence "in a big way."

Sports fans and others have expressed concern that Snyder's purchase of WTEM will turn it into a mouthpiece for the Redskins.

WTEM hosts Czaban and Pollin in a recent interview questioned whether they'd be able to criticize the team once Red Zebra takes over July 1. Czaban, Pollin and other WTEM hosts, including former Redskins players Walker and Mitchell, have often lambasted the team and its owner in recent years. Shapiro said censoring Red Zebra or using it as a propaganda arm of the Redskins would devalue the purchase.

Snyder "inherently knows, just as Rupert Murdoch knows with his acquisition of the Wall Street Journal, that if your content is slanted, biased, prejudiced or agenda-driven, you will scare away listeners," Shapiro said. "Dan knows that if a radio station was going to serve as a platform for his own views, listeners would see right through it."

Snyder has been criticized by media observers in the past for micromanaging his team, but Shapiro said the owner will have no direct involvement with WTEM. Shapiro said Gilbert, who managed 300 affiliate radio stations at ESPN, "built his reputation on fair and balanced commentary."

Just as it helps if you actually read the Forum Rules.

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement

Hey TK, this issue seems to be resolved, but just a small disparity I'd like to question. Does the fact that he didn't actually quote the story, but merely referenced it as evidence to why Czaban may be dismissed, still mean that he NEEDS to title the thread based on the article itself and not based on what he'd like to talk about?

I'm asking this because back when I was a more frequent poster, my favorite thing to do was to post the news stories of the day. But a few times, I may have just posted my opinion on a story and a link to the story itself and titled the thread based on my opinion instead of the story. And you're saying we shouldn't do that?

i personally just find riggins boring so i never listen to his show, but he obviously gets a pass in this town because hes john riggins. kinda hard to fire a hall of fame pillar of redskins history.

So, I listen to Riggins because I think that Czab has gotten so jaded, it's hard to listen to. I used to listen to 980 religiously, but the constant bashing is just depressing, so I stopped.

Riggins' show is not very good either. But anybody who says that Snyder/Redskins have any say in what's on the radio show clearly hasn't ever listened to it. Riggins has been very very critical of the 'Skins, and particularly Gibbs, over the last several seasons. BLC, I'd agree, though. He's pretty boring. I like Kevin Sheehan, though.

So I doubt very much that anything is going to change immediately. The world is not ending. Czab will probably be around until he choses to leave.

btw, Larry Michael's show stinks, it is propaganda, and is unwatchable. Redskins Lunch with Larry and Bram was fine. Larry left to his own divices is TERRIBLE.

Archived