Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli: SB Win = Miracle on Ice

pointyfootball

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20080611_Eli_compares_Super_Bowl_victory_to_Miracle_On_Ice.html

"Manning compared the Giants beating the unbeaten New England Patriots in the Super Bowl to the U.S. hockey team winning the gold medal in the 1980 Olympics. The U.S. team lost to the Soviet Union in exhibition games before beating them in the Olympics, just as the Giants lost 38-35 to the Patriots in the regular-season finale."

Maybe if he was QB-ing the Toronto Argonauts and then beat the Patriots, I could see the comparison. But his comparison might be a bit of a stretch.

PF

It would only be comparable if Eli was still at Mississippi and they beat the Patriots. The US hockey team were college players playing pros who ate, slept, lived and trained together in the Soviet Red Army. Eli is a douche!

I don't get it. How does sex make you a better athlete?

If that's the case, I need to have a discussion with the mrs!

:laugh:

I'd have to see exactly what he said about the Miracle on Ice before getting too shook up about it. There wasn't anything in the article itself that I found objectionable. Who knows, maybe he made the comparison in a joking way. I doubt he claimed that the victory over the Patriots was as nationally significant or as improbable as the Miracle on Ice. If he said that, then he's a tool. But I haven't seen a quote yet of that nature.

Seems like this might be just another case of someone taking a comment out of context and trying to turn it into a story. Correct me if I'm wrong, if there is such a quote out there.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20080611_Eli_compares_Super_Bowl_victory_to_Miracle_On_Ice.html

"Manning compared the Giants beating the unbeaten New England Patriots in the Super Bowl to the U.S. hockey team winning the gold medal in the 1980 Olympics. The U.S. team lost to the Soviet Union in exhibition games before beating them in the Olympics, just as the Giants lost 38-35 to the Patriots in the regular-season finale."

Manning is an idiot. I saw the "Miracle on Ice" back in '80 and the SB win doesn't even come close to that. I think he needs to go rent "Miracle" and pop some popcorn.

I think the article was talking about this comment on Letterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFiTTrPQskk&feature=related

Listen to Dave's question at about 40 seconds into it.

The comparison was that, like the '80 US hockey team, they played the best team before playing them again in the Championship game, not that the Giants victory in the Super Bowl was as wondrous or as miraculous as the '80 US Hockey team's.

I think the article was talking about this comment on Letterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFiTTrPQskk&feature=related

Listen to Dave's question at about 40 seconds into it.

The comparison was that, like the '80 US hockey team, they played the best team before playing them again in the Championship game, not that the Giants victory in the Super Bowl was as wondrous or as miraculous as the '80 US Hockey team's.

Then why use THAT team as an example? The only reason is that he thinks that the Giants are just as special. :rolleyes:

Then why use THAT team as an example? The only reason is that he thinks that the Giants are just as special. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me you're just looking for any and every reason to make Eli look like how you wish he was, no matter how far fetched.

Believe what you want but he never said that the Giants Super Bowl victory was equal to the Miracle on Ice.

Sounds to me you're just looking for any and every reason to make Eli look like how you wish he was, no matter how far fetched.

Believe what you want but he never said that the Giants Super Bowl victory was equal to the Miracle on Ice.

So instead of answering my supposition, you instead whine. I use logic to figure out people's meaning - might be nice if you opened your eyes and did the same.

So why don't you answer? Why use that example of the 80 US Hockey Team if you aren't comparing your team to the them?

Because you know that's EXACTLY what he was doing.

Enjoy your team's turmoil. :D

IThe comparison was that, like the '80 US hockey team, they played the best team before playing them again in the Championship game, not that the Giants victory in the Super Bowl was as wondrous or as miraculous as the '80 US Hockey team's.

Slight difference. USSR destroyed the US in the first game, like 8-3 or something like that. And destroyed NHL all stars in exhibition matches. Only equivalent would be for LSU to beat the pats.

Archived