Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shrinking a fitted baseball cap

@DCGoldPants

All-

Question for anybody who's done this, and its worked well.

I've got a baseball cap which is fitted, and maybe 1 size too big. A size smaller isn't available. Its 100% Wool, and I'd like to shrink it alittle.

What is the best route here?

Hot water and just letting it sit out to dry?

Dishwasher with one of those plastic frames around it?

Any ideas?

What you do is get the inside rim of the hat wet with water, and then put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. How many cycles you do this will depend on how much you need the hat to shrink. Don't do it any longer then 30 seconds at a time though.

I tried one time with an old wool baseball hat, I beleive it was made in the 60's by washing it and putting it in the dryer. Whatever you do dont do that. Some of the hat shrinks but not uniformly and your hat looks like someone had to reinforce the structure by putting tent poles underneath it.

I have a head thats too large for one of the standard sizes and too small for the next one up, so what I do now with new hats is get the larger size and only wear it when my hair gets long to give a tighter fit. then I make sure to wear it long enough to moisten the sweat band but not start sweating through the other fabric. I then take the hat off and if its the winter I place it by a heat register or in summer leave it out in the sun. As your sweat evaporates it will start to expand the sweat band and give you a tighter fit.

I tried one time with an old wool baseball hat, I beleive it was made in the 60's by washing it and putting it in the dryer. Whatever you do dont do that. Some of the hat shrinks but not uniformly and your hat looks like someone had to reinforce the structure by putting tent poles underneath it.

Yeah, whatever you do, DO NOT wash it and put it in the dryer. I learned the hard way.:laugh: My hat shrunk to the point where it couldn't even fit my 2 year olds head!!!

All-

Question for anybody who's done this, and its worked well.

I've got a baseball cap which is fitted, and maybe 1 size too big. A size smaller isn't available. Its 100% Wool, and I'd like to shrink it alittle.

What is the best route here?

Hot water and just letting it sit out to dry?

Dishwasher with one of those plastic frames around it?

Any ideas?

There are several ways. I washed a hat on gentle cycle and then put it in the dryer for about 20 minutes and it shrunk significantly.

If you want my advice, it may sound silly but it definitely works. For a gradual technique at doing this. I would leave your hat out in the sun, preferably in your car on the backdash board. And check it every hour or so and see how much it has shrunk.

I know it sounds stupid, but I've left plenty Redskin's hats on my rear dash board and they no longer fit. I know my head size didn't increase 1 inch the past year!!!!

There are several ways. I washed a hat on gentle cycle and then put it in the dryer for about 20 minutes and it shrunk significantly.

If you want my advice, it may sound silly but it definitely works. For a gradual technique at doing this. I would leave your hat out in the sun, preferably in your car on the backdash board. And check it every hour or so and see how much it has shrunk.

I know it sounds stupid, but I've left plenty Redskin's hats on my rear dash board and they no longer fit. I know my head size didn't increase 1 inch the past year!!!!

actually just leave your cap on some newspaper does the trick.

Archived