Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 MTV Movie Awards (SPOILER and rant)

Springfield

SPOILER ALERT

If you do not want to know the winners of the 2008 MTV Movie Awards, do not read any further.

So here is my rant:

I have been a fan of the MTV Movie Awards since year one. They are geared for the younger generation and well, the Oscars are boring as hell. Lately though, maybe the past couple of years, the MTV Movie Awards has been creeping closer and closer to the Oscars. Their selections of the winners is mind boggling to me, my obvious choices for winners almost never hit. Seems they are going the way of the Oscars in promoting more artsy, lesser known winners. Which really takes the meaning out of the MTV Movie Awards to me.

I don't want this to be an argument of MTV's programming and how they don't play music and such. MTV's programming sucks, bottom line. I still enjoy MTV's award shows, however they are starting to wear thin.

So I'll go over the winners and nominees, because I think most of them were not really diserving. They won, so good for them. But really, who would pick all these?

BEST MOVIE:

Transformers (winner)

Juno

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I Am Legend

Superbad

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

My two picks were Transformers and Superbad. I would have rather had Superbad but Transformers is not completely absurd to me. Transformers was the ultimate action movie but Superbad was hilarious and I would say a better movie.

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE:

Will Smith, I Am Legend (winner)

Shia LaBeouf, Transformers

Denzel Washington, American Gangster

Matt Damon, The Bourne Ultimatum

Michael Cera, Juno

No Denzel Washington? He was clearly the best performance of that group in my opinion. How could you not pick Denzel? Plus Shia LaBeouf was much better in Disturbia than he was in Transformers, but that is beside the point. Denzel diserved to win this one without a doubt.

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE:

Ellen Page, Juno (winner)

Keira Knightly, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Katherine Heigl, Knocked Up

Amy Adams, Enchanted

Jessica Biel, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

OK, Ellen Page is the obvious choice here. Can't complain about that one. Katherine Heigl should get an honerable mention though.

BEST VILLAN:

Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd (winner)

Denzel Washington, American Gangster

Angelina Jolie, Beowulf

Topher Grace, Spider Man 3

Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men

Really? Johnny Depp? Give me a break. Javier Barden or Denzel Washington should have one this one hands down, right friendo?

BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE:

Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (winner)

Adam Sandler, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

Jonah Hill, Superbad

Seth Rogen, Knocked Up

Amy Adams, Enchanted

You have got to be kidding me. MTV must be sucking Johnny Depp's dick. Notice how he didn't even sit with the crowd? Is he afraid of the commoners? Did they gurantee him no less than 2 golden pop corns if he showed up at their stupid awards show? Jonah Hill should have won this, hands down. Seth Rogen comes in second. Johnny Depp is hardly a funny charicter as Captain Jack Sparrow.

BEST FIGHT:

Sean Faris vs. Cam Gigandet, Never Back Down (winner)

Matt Damon vs. Joey Ansah, The Bourne Ultimatum

Tobey Maguire vs. James Franco, Spider Man 3

Hayden Christensen vs. Jamie Bell, Jumper

Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan vs. Sun Ming Ming, Rush Hour 3

Alien vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

Well, I never saw Never Back Down. Matt Damon was pretty badass in The Bourne Ultimatum though.

BEST KISS:

Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman, Step Up 2: The Streets (winner)

Shia LaBeouf and Sarah Roemer, Disturbia

Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey, Enchanted

Daniel Radcliffe and Katie Leung, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Ellen Page and Michael Cera, Juno

Didn't really care much for the best kiss award and I've never seen Step Up 2. Of the rest of those movies though, I would pick Disturbia.

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE:

Zac Efron, Hairspray (winner)

Seth Rogen, Knocked Up

Jonah Hill, Superbad

Michael, Superbad

Chris Brown, This Christmas

Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray

Megan Fox, Transformers

Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Superbad

That one had to go to a Jud Apatow prodigy but alas 14 year old girls pick the winners. Terrible.

BEST SUMMER MOVIE SO FAR:

Iron Man (winner)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Sex and the City: The Movie

Speed Racer

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

It would be pretty damn hard to get this one wrong.

And there we have it. The 2008 MTV Movie Awards winners... and who I thought should have won. Again, this isn't a MTV sucks because it doesn't play music and instead choose to play stupid reality TV shows about falling in love with a rapper/rocker/bisexual/homeless person. It's a thread about a once great movie award show that is going the way of the Oscars.

Javier should have won best villian, haven't seen Sweeney though...

And I too haven't seen Never Back Down, but the fight in Bourne Ultimatum is one of my favorite fights of all time (my favorite non martial arts, non matrixy fight). I bought the movie just to watch that fight scene :laugh:

(and just to note, I did not see the show and could care less about it :))

i hate mtv and i'm the opposite of a movie buff.. a de-movie buff? movie buffless? anyway why in the world did i even open this thread. i want those 5 minutes of my life back. then again, people reading this post probably want that minute of their lives back where i try and figure out what the opposite of a movie buff is :doh:

1- It's the MTV Movie Awards. It's all 14-16 year old kids, mostly girls, voting. Take it easy. It just is what it is. Although I have noticed it's gotten watered-down since back in the late 90's, a lot cheesier. Sort of feels like a Nickelodeon show now. Not nearly as degrading as the VMA's have become though.

2- Seth Rogen was infinitely better than Jonah Hill in anything to date, especially in Knocked Up though.

Dude...its the MTV movie awards. Are you really ranting about them? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When I saw this was serious I thought the SAME thing.

Dude, its a popularity contest. Denzel isnt as "fun" as Will Smith is.

Have you ever been in the TRL audience? Im just curious if you have ever said something like, "Hi, Im _____________ and I voted for Justin Timberlake because he is SOOOOOO hot!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"

:laugh:

Have you ever been in the TRL audience? Im just curious if you have ever said something like, "Hi, Im _____________ and I voted for Justin Timberlake because he is SOOOOOO hot!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"

That's just plain mean! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Denzel should have won not Depp.

Yep.

1- It's the MTV Movie Awards. It's all 14-16 year old kids, mostly girls, voting. Take it easy. It just is what it is. Although I have noticed it's gotten watered-down since back in the late 90's, a lot cheesier. Sort of feels like a Nickelodeon show now. Not nearly as degrading as the VMA's have become though.

2- Seth Rogen was infinitely better than Jonah Hill in anything to date, especially in Knocked Up though.

Yeah, I probably did overreact. I just remember liking the VMA's and the Movie Awards. I don't watch any other MTV, but I thought I would enjoy some of the Award goodness.

I'm getting old. It's terrible. :doh:

When I saw this was serious I thought the SAME thing.

Dude, its a popularity contest. Denzel isnt as "fun" as Will Smith is.

JT is soooo beeeaassstt!!!!! :silly:

But yeah. It was stupid. I'm too old for MTV, I just have to come to that realization.

it sucks when you start becoming "too old" for stuff. like when I roll thru the college and look at 19 year olds i feel weird. theyre perfectly legal but i was chasing girls their age when they were born.

so sad...

You were chasing 19 year olds when you were 15?

:pimp:

MTV is the biggest joke on television. I think at 26 its time to move on.

The Oscars may suck, but they aren't as bad as the Grammys. Now THAT'S a pointless awards show.

Oh believe me, I am in no way a proponent of MTV. I do admit to liking their award shows...

But yeah, I'm too old for MTV. Back in the good old days, we would have said "I'm moving on to VH1" but MTV bought them out too!

and BigMike... You're never too old for 19 year old poontang!:silly:

Oh believe me, I am in no way a proponent of MTV. I do admit to liking their award shows...

But yeah, I'm too old for MTV. Back in the good old days, we would have said "I'm moving on to VH1" but MTV bought them out too!

Isn't Fuse still around? And MTV2 is decent from what I remember.

Basically, the Oscars suck, the Grammy's REALLY suck, and the MTV Awards are both completely worthless now. The VMA's used to be alright, but within the past few years they've started to cut the budget, shorten it in time, and now it's terribly cheesy.

I heard that Wayne and Garth made an appearance. 15 years after they were sort of funny they decided to rehash the same ol jokes and kill it totally..

Hey Mike, for someone who was trashing the awards you have spent a lot of time in this thread.:D

Archived