Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sake Drinkers

Reic

So I was conversing with Sweet Sassy on AIM and mentioned how I wanted to try sake sometime, and he agreed with me.

I was wondering if any tailgaters are sake drinkers, or have tried a sake which they enjoyed. I am pretty open minded about anything alcoholic, so I would like to try as many different types of sake as possible.

**** YA!!

ok, you should try the normal hot sake first. make sure you get a beer with it too because you chase it to cool it off and chase it down.

they have filtered which is clear and unfiltered which is a milky white. they are both equally good. they also have cold and hot which are both good.

they also have different strengths as well. i am a fan of all strengths but I WARN YOU, sake will put you on your ass if you arent careful!!!

I live for sake.

The first thing you need to know is that cold sake is the way to go.

The only reason that any sake is ever heated is to hide the impurities.

Therefore, if a restaurant has some crap sake....they heat it, and serve it to the people who have no idea what the hell is going on.

Get a good cold sake.....depends on your price range.

At a restaurant, you can find a decent cold small bottle of sake for as little as $8-10, with better ones being $60-90 if you become a true fan.

The unfiltered will probably be a little too hardcore for a novice--just ask the server and they will recommend a good one for you....whether you prefer sweet, dry....etc.

So I was conversing with Sweet Sassy on AIM and mentioned how I wanted to try sake sometime, and he agreed with me.

I was wondering if any tailgaters are sake drinkers, or have tried a sake which they enjoyed. I am pretty open minded about anything alcoholic, so I would like to try as many different types of sake as possible.

Sake will wreck you, I have had it many times. I usually get the house Sake and love it. There are some plum sakes that are very tasty as well. One more thing, drink lots of water and have a plan for getting home.

The only reason that any sake is ever heated is to hide the impurities.

Therefore, if a restaurant has some crap sake....they heat it, and serve it to the people who have no idea what the hell is going on.

I like it warm, I think it tastes great,the warmth gives it a nice touch and adds to the punch. Even though I use to eat sushi 2x a week at Minato in Baltimore I have no idea?

And I thought I was cool because they use to give it to me. :mad:

I like it warm, I think it tastes great,the warmth gives it a nice touch and adds to the punch. Even though I use to eat sushi 2x a week at Minato in Baltimore I have no idea?

And I thought I was cool because they use to give it to me. :mad:

Well if you are doing a sake bomb for example, or if you are just pounding it with the guys....it isn't a big deal, and hot will work just as well as cold.

Having said that, no, cold is definitely the better product. Next time you are at the restaurant, ask a server or a sushi chef what they prefer....if they are japanese, they will all say cold.

Many will laugh when you mention hot sake.....much like the Mexicans look down on Corona beer.

Cold sake costs more to make.....it is a step up, and you can really find some great ones at restaurants--and in an affordable manner.

Well if you are doing a sake bomb for example, or if you are just pounding it with the guys....it isn't a big deal, and hot will work just as well as cold.

Having said that, no, cold is definitely the better product. Next time you are at the restaurant, ask a server or a sushi chef what they prefer....if they are japanese, they will all say cold.

Many will laugh when you mention hot sake.....much like the Mexicans look down on Corona beer.

Cold sake costs more to make.....it is a step up, and you can really find some great ones at restaurants--and in an affordable manner.

Thanks for the tip, does cold sake give you the same feeling?

Sake's great. Warm Sake is traditional but chilled Sake is great, has more of an aroma and flavor.

False. Traditionally sake was served room temperature. Heated sake started around WWII to hide the impurities (as McD5 said) due to the low-quality ingredients available at the time.

Go cold. So much better.

Also, I second the sake-bombs, but make sure you do them right. Get two chopsticks and lay them across your beer glass, just wide enough to support the sake glass. Put the sake on there, slam the table (either with your hand, or with your head using a napkin wrapped around kamikaze style), then pound the whole thing when the sake falls in the beer - all while chanting SA-KE-BOMB!.

Thanks for the tip, does cold sake give you the same feeling?

Yes....identical.

One bottle of a good cold sake can get two people lit.

A very good bottle that is at most restaurants is called karatamba.

I have had over 200 different sakes....even getting up into a few bottles costing over $100 each. Probably stupid to most.....but I love the stuff.

Anyway, the karatamba bottle is only $15 at most places.

2 people....getting lit for $15? And a bottle that tastes as good as a $70 bottle?

Can't beat it for the quality, or the effects.

Here is a link on it. If you ever see this bottle at your sushi place...I would try it.

I am getting thirsty just thinking about it.

http://www.ozekisake.com/index05_01.html

Also....I am not suggesting ordering from that site--I have no experience with them--but they show a large picture of the bottle I would look for.

it all depends if you want it warm or cold, you can do either, for your first sake i would recommend a dry one, try that and go from there

you can't go wrong with sake since most likely you are getting sushi as well :)

SAKE BOMBS!!!

This may be tried in Canton, then.
Hmm. Okay McD5 seems to be the authority on sake. When I was stationed on Okinawa, the sake there was cold. That's the way it was served on the island. But I heard on mainland Japan, the sake was served hot - 98.6 degrees. Anybody see the Bond flic You Only Live Twice? They talked about it there too. They indireclty said the purpose of hot sake is that it enters your bloodstream quicker because your body is not required to warm it up first. It begins to be absorbed into your body the moment it touches your tongue. Well, this was what was implied.

I'll bring some sake to Canton. But I'm gonna heat mine up because I like it that way. :)

McD5 - thoughts please.

Hmm. Okay McD5 seems to be the authority on sake. When I was stationed on Okinawa, the sake there was cold. That's the way it was served on the island. But I heard on mainland Japan, the sake was served hot - 98.6 degrees. Anybody see the Bond flic You Only Live Twice? They talked about it there too. They indireclty said the purpose of hot sake is that it enters your bloodstream quicker because your body is not required to warm it up first. It begins to be absorbed into your body the moment it touches your tongue. Well, this was what was implied.

I'll bring some sake to Canton. But I'm gonna heat mine up because I like it that way. :)

McD5 - thoughts please.

I am not aware of the temperature allowing the alcohol to hit your system quicker. That may be completely true.

I can tell you that the top sakes in the world every year are cold sakes. Nearly all of the top 10 are in most years.

They cost more to make....they are a higher quality product.

As a very general rule of thumb, the more expensive a sake is....the smoother and more it tastes like water.

This is true only in the filtered sakes....the unfiltered are more "cloudy" and definitely have a stronger taste.

But if you just think about all of your encounters with sake....either drinking it yourself, or watching others drink it--no one sips on hot sake.

They chug it. Much like a shot of liquor. Some of it can taste pretty harsh.

Or they pour it into a beer......or use a chaser after.

It is most often times heated to extreme levels in the kitchen, then kept warm til served.

To make water pure......you boil it. The concept is the same with hot sake.

When you drink extremely hot chocalate for example, you really just open your throat and pour it down fast. You are not really tasting a whole lot during those first sips.

With a cold sake....it can be either chugged, or enjoyed slowly. The really expensive ones can taste almost like water if that meets your taste.

I can recommend some tremendous sakes in any price range if interested.

Archived