Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

List of 3-4 Teams

bikie

can anyone confirm or add to the below list as the only teams in the NFL who predominantly run a base 3-4 defense?

steelers

ravens

browns

cowboys

dolphins (starting in 2008)

chargers

pats

ny jets

cardinals (don't remember them doing that last year, but read it was installed in 07)

Thanks in advance.

49ers are in the stages of moving

All the rest are 100% correct

I think they have actually been running it for a while since I thought Andre Carter had been moved to OLB in 2005 when they had switched to a 3-4, but I might be wrong. If not, they are definitely running it this year with Kentawn Balmer as one of the ends.

The funny thing I find about the 3-4 is that it can either be an extremely dominating defense, or it can be a total mess if you don't have the right personnel.

The teams that have run it in an effective manor are the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, and Cowboys. The Browns, Jets, 49ers, and Dolphins have been attempting to run it for some time but haven't done too well.

49ers are in the stages of moving

All the rest are 100% correct

I second that. My buddy is a niners fan and told me they had to move back to a 4-3 temporarily a couple of years ago because they were so bad with the 3-4. Willis and adding Balmer this year is supposed to fix that.

I second that. My buddy is a niners fan and told me they had to move back to a 4-3 temporarily a couple of years ago because they were so bad with the 3-4. Willis and adding Balmer this year is supposed to fix that.

The thing with that is that with Willis they have a perfect 4-3 middle 'backer. Just get two big DT's to keep the blockers off him and let him make the plays for you.

In a 3-4 he is going to be taking on guards and not have the freedom to make plays he would have in a 4-3. Bad move by the 49ers in my opinion.

I get annoyed with coaches who just want to run 'their' system and not develop a scheme which makes best use of the available talent.

Archived