Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PK competition

RWJ

With Shaun Suisham the only PK in camp you'd think we'd bring in competition for him just like we have with the punters in Brooks vs. Frost. I think it would be good rather that just letting him have the job. Thoughts.

Suisham is young and hit 80% of his kicks. That's 4 for 5 for a young kicker. That's the best percentage we've had in about two decades. Always room for improvement, but as long as Danny Smith thinks he's working hard to get better I don't see a need to bring in anyone.

Maybe someone to get past the preseason to avoid overworking Suisham.

I don't see a need, you can't really work "harder" as a kicker its mainly just getting into a rhythm. If we can find somebody who we believe will be better then sure go get him, if not then bringing in someone will only push him into a possible hamstring injury which even the slightest pain affects kickers greatly.

I really don't think Frost is competition for Brooks.

They're just waiting till june 1st to bring down the axe.

Then they would not have re-signed him. Clearly, they want to have a competition. But, taking a punter in the sixth round confunds me, so you could be right. I have no clue. I personally thought Frost was very good last season, and deserved an extension, or at the very least, no competition.

For Suisham, he's still young, but has been solid. Someone pointed out the 80%. Room for improvement? Heck yeah, but it's something we have not had for a while.

The only competition out there is Vanderjact, Morten Andersen, Aaron Elling and John Carney. None compare at all to Suisham, who has the potential to stick with us longer than any of them.

Then they would not have re-signed him. Clearly, they want to have a competition. But, taking a punter in the sixth round confunds me, so you could be right. I have no clue. I personally thought Frost was very good last season, and deserved an extension, or at the very least, no competition.

Not to sure about that. As quoted by Danny Smith on redskins.com:

In my mind, Derrick is in the middle of the pack [among punters] in the league," Smith said. "He is not a bad punter, but he is not one of the elite guys. But you always have to try to improve your team. I think we can punt better."

Sounds like Brooks is going to be replacing Frost.

As for PK, I coulda sworn that I saw somewhere on draft day that Brooks also could do kickoffs? That seemed to be a big problem for us. Suisham, though, I have no complaints about his field goal kicking game. A few missed kicks, yeah, including one that would've helped us a TON in Seattle, but oh well. Much better than the crap that we've had the past decade.

Not to sure about that. As quoted by Danny Smith on redskins.com:

Sounds like Brooks is going to be replacing Frost.

As for PK, I coulda sworn that I saw somewhere on draft day that Brooks also could do kickoffs? That seemed to be a big problem for us. Suisham, though, I have no complaints about his field goal kicking game. A few missed kicks, yeah, including one that would've helped us a TON in Seattle, but oh well. Much better than the crap that we've had the past decade.

Thanks for the quote. Honestly, I thought he was fine last year, but I'm not the coach. I don't think they cut Frost this early, though. There is going to be a battle. But, Frost is going to have to be lights out to beat Brooks, who was picked near the top of the sixth round.

Brooks can be the holder, but he has no experience doing kickoffs.

Thanks for the quote. Honestly, I thought he was fine last year, but I'm not the coach. I don't think they cut Frost this early, though. There is going to be a battle. But, Frost is going to have to be lights out to beat Brooks, who was picked near the top of the sixth round.

Brooks can be the holder, but he has no experience doing kickoffs.

Yeah, there's no reason to cut Frost this early.

As for kickoffs, this is what I don't understand about the NFL. What is so effing hard about being a kicker, especially on kickoffs? You don't have to memorize plays. There are no schemes to look for. Your job is ALWAYS the same unless there's a fake or onside kick. Honestly, what is there to be bad at?

Kick the ball.

Over there.

Real hard.

That's it! :doh:

Yeah, there's no reason to cut Frost this early.

As for kickoffs, this is what I don't understand about the NFL. What is so effing hard about being a kicker, especially on kickoffs? You don't have to memorize plays. There are no schemes to look for. Your job is ALWAYS the same unless there's a fake or onside kick. Honestly, what is there to be bad at?

Kick the ball.

Over there.

Real hard.

That's it! :doh:

His profile on NFLDraftCountdown.com said that he "might not be able to kickoff."

That's the easiest thing out there, like you said. I can understand that he might struggle with the onside kick, but seriously. Especially with the leg that Brooks is supposed to have. For someone to make it into an NFL camp as a punter or kicker, the easiest thing should be kicking a ball off a tee.

Just weird that he just might not be able to do it.

His profile on NFLDraftCountdown.com said that he "might not be able to kickoff."

That's the easiest thing out there, like you said. I can understand that he might struggle with the onside kick, but seriously. Especially with the leg that Brooks is supposed to have. For someone to make it into an NFL camp as a punter or kicker, the easiest thing should be kicking a ball off a tee.

Just weird that he just might not be able to do it.

I don't understand how ANY kicker can be bad. I mean, you're one of the top 32 in the WORLD. And you miss frequently? Or can't kick the ball? Seriously, you get paid six figures a year for MAYBE seven minutes of total actual work, and you screw it up? Any other position I can understand. But to **** up kicking just doesn't make sense to me.

John Carney is a UFA right now, and I think is 1 year removed from hitting 23 of 25 field goals. Last year he was with 2 teams and was 12 or 14 in limited action. Older vet, but they guy has length and has bee one of the most accurate kickers in history. Wouldnt hurt to bring him in to push Suisham.

I don't understand how ANY kicker can be bad. I mean, you're one of the top 32 in the WORLD. And you miss frequently? Or can't kick the ball? Seriously, you get paid six figures a year for MAYBE seven minutes of total actual work, and you screw it up? Any other position I can understand. But to **** up kicking just doesn't make sense to me.

Just cause you make the team, DOESNT mean you're 1 of 32 best IN WORLD:doh: So much goes into a FG! Snap, hold, timing, weather, and PRESSURE to kick a game winner. N.Rackers was at the top of the heap, now hes faltering like Vanderjact.

If you're Robbie Gould, you're now making about $3 million a year, with a $4.25 million bonus. To kick a football.

I know now what I'm doing with my life. I'm going to start kicking a football, and hopefully someone will pick me up.

On the serious note, I definitely agree with you. Although, kickers can get the most abuse of all players, especially if they miss a game-tying or winning field goal. Regardless, you should at least be able to kick off a tee.

As a kicker, if you make one mistake, it is magnified. With that said, if you are a WR and run a bad route, it goes unnoticed.....just think, a kicker is on the field on average, 4 or 5 times. One mistake is maginfied that much more. And, his position relies heavily on all 10 other players. A snap that looks good to the naked eye may force a kicker to miss a kick. Until you have been in the shoes of a kicker, you can not understand how much of a speciality it is.

Just cause you make the team, DOESNT mean you're 1 of 32 best IN WORLD:doh: So much goes into a FG! Snap, hold, timing, weather, and PRESSURE to kick a game winner. N.Rackers was at the top of the heap, now hes faltering like Vanderjact.

Usually if you have a job, your boss has hired you because you're the best qualified for it. The NFL is the place where the best football players, including kickers, play in the entire world. So, yeah, they should be the best 32 in the world.

So much goes into a field goal? Come on, man, no it doesn't. A good kicker overcomes all of those things that you mentioned. Either **** or get off the pot, no?

If you're Robbie Gould, you're now making about $3 million a year, with a $4.25 million bonus. To kick a football.

I know now what I'm doing with my life. I'm going to start kicking a football, and hopefully someone will pick me up.

On the serious note, I definitely agree with you. Although, kickers can get the most abuse of all players, especially if they miss a game-tying or winning field goal. Regardless, you should at least be able to kick off a tee.

Kicking a field goal is a different art when compared to kicking off with a tee. Just think. The best free throw shooters in the NBA aren't necessarily the best three point shooters, are they?

As a kicker, if you make one mistake, it is magnified. With that said, if you are a WR and run a bad route, it goes unnoticed.....just think, a kicker is on the field on average, 4 or 5 times. One mistake is maginfied that much more. And, his position relies heavily on all 10 other players. A snap that looks good to the naked eye may force a kicker to miss a kick. Until you have been in the shoes of a kicker, you can not understand how much of a speciality it is.

I'm not following you. Any mistake on the field is noticeable. You should not have your job if you can't perform it. I don't care about this "pressure" crap. Kick the ball between those two posts. If it's a bad snap, then we'll notice. And his position does NOT rely heavily on the other ten. Yes, they block, but that doesn't affect what he does at all. Three steps back, one to the side, kick the ball between the posts no matter what's going on in front of you.

Could I do it? Absolutely not. Then again, I'm not the one getting paid hundreds of thousands of, if not a million, dollars to do so.

"any mistake on the field is noticeable"

Yes, if you watch the play over and over again. But not to the naked eye of the average fan, cough cough, you. Most focus on the possession of the ball. It is nearly impossible w/ tv coverage to notice all 22 players actions on a play.

"You should not have your job if you can't perform it."

What does this mean? Define not performing it.

"pressure"

Every kicker at this level can handle pressure. For them to get there they have had to handle pressure. It is more a mental battle with themselves. I never believe that the pressure of hitting a game winning kick effects a kicker. Anyone who has gone through an NFL tryout as a kicker knows pressure. You get about 8 kicks most to show what you can do w/ no warmup.

"And his position does NOT rely heavily on the other ten. Yes, they block, but that doesn't affect what he does at all. "

This statement is completely false.

"If it's a bad snap, then we'll notice."

You sit on your couch on game day or in the stands with a stop watch timing the snap to holder speed? I don't think so.

"Three steps back, one to the side, kick the ball between the posts no matter what's going on in front of you."

Wait, why didn't they score a TD??? Why am I kicking a game winning FG? Oh, thats right...my teammates made mistakes throughout the game and now I am going to do my job and save their asses...

Archived