Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PK competition

RWJ

Art Carmody from Louisville would be someone we might want to invite to camp. Just a thought. Not the strongest leg, but his nickname in college was "Art-O-Matic". He made everything from 40 yards on in. Not the strongest leg on KO, but maybe someone to look at. As far as I can tell, no one has signed him yet.

Usually if you have a job, your boss has hired you because you're the best qualified for it. The NFL is the place where the best football players, including kickers, play in the entire world. So, yeah, they should be the best 32 in the world.

So much goes into a field goal? Come on, man, no it doesn't. A good kicker overcomes all of those things that you mentioned. Either **** or get off the pot, no?

Dude, youre the one smoking. Qualified DOESNT mean youre the best out there:doh: Im glad the person who gave you your paper route thinks your the best. No kicker could overcome and make a FG if the ball is laying on its side. If it were so easy, youd be doing it.

Art Carmody from Louisville would be someone we might want to invite to camp. Just a thought. Not the strongest leg, but his nickname in college was "Art-O-Matic". He made everything from 40 yards on in. Not the strongest leg on KO, but maybe someone to look at. As far as I can tell, no one has signed him yet.

I think he was w/ the Bucs last week on a rookie Try Out, but don't mark me on that...I know someone picked him up to look at...

"any mistake on the field is noticeable"

Yes, if you watch the play over and over again. But not to the naked eye of the average fan, cough cough, you. Most focus on the possession of the ball. It is nearly impossible w/ tv coverage to notice all 22 players actions on a play.

"You should not have your job if you can't perform it."

What does this mean? Define not performing it.

"pressure"

Every kicker at this level can handle pressure. For them to get there they have had to handle pressure. It is more a mental battle with themselves. I never believe that the pressure of hitting a game winning kick effects a kicker. Anyone who has gone through an NFL tryout as a kicker knows pressure. You get about 8 kicks most to show what you can do w/ no warmup.

"And his position does NOT rely heavily on the other ten. Yes, they block, but that doesn't affect what he does at all. "

This statement is completely false.

"If it's a bad snap, then we'll notice."

You sit on your couch on game day or in the stands with a stop watch timing the snap to holder speed? I don't think so.

"Three steps back, one to the side, kick the ball between the posts no matter what's going on in front of you."

Wait, why didn't they score a TD??? Why am I kicking a game winning FG? Oh, thats right...my teammates made mistakes throughout the game and now I am going to do my job and save their asses...

I'll go through numbers since it's easier:

1) When I'm at the games, I look at everything.

2) Do you REALLY need me to define not performing as a kicker? Honestly?

3) If pressure doesn't matter, then why are you arguing my point? I'm the one who said that it doesn't matter, that one should, at the NFL level, be performing regardless of pressure.

4) Just because you say it's false doesn't make it false.

5) Well, like you said, if one focuses exclusively on who is touching the ball, then yeah, I'm looking EXACTLY at what you're talking about. I've been watching football for the better part of two decades. I know what I'm watching.

6) What the hell does that have to do with anything? Don't miss. It's your JOB. If I screw up at my job, then children lose their families, and I don't get paid a tenth of what the kicker is being paid.

I just want to know how we can never seem to get a good place kicker to begin with? I mean ****, if we had a decent kicker over the years, we might have won more games and made the playoffs more.

It just sucks!

See, I have seen the problem to be that the Skins haven't had a good QB to begin with? I mean *****, if they had a decent QB over the years, they wouldnt have had to worry about kicking game winning FG's and won more games and made the playoffs more...

Dude, youre the one smoking. Qualified DOESNT mean youre the best out there:doh: Im glad the person who gave you your paper route thinks your the best. No kicker could overcome and make a FG if the ball is laying on its side. If it were so easy, youd be doing it.

Smoking? Paper route? What the hell are you talking about?

Best qualified = Best. I don't understand how you can't understand that.

When did I say that a kicker should make a field goal if the ball is on its side? I'm talking about when there's a decent snap and hold. If it's pouring, windy as hell, and the holder fumbled the ball, how could I expect the kicker to make it? I'm talking about all things being relatively equal.

I think he was w/ the Bucs last week on a rookie Try Out, but don't mark me on that...I know someone picked him up to look at...

I saw an article while searching through GOOGLE.COM that he was there for a tryout, but I don't think he signed. By the way, is he a lefty PK?

One of the things Dallas liked about Suisham early on was his big leg. I remember hearing about his inconsistency with the uprights, but they liked his kickoff ability. I wonder what happened. Is it just me, or does the pressure of a big kick seem to get to him. Hopefully he can just relax, get a groove and just carry it for the season. Even better, hopefully our offense scores touchdowns this year instead of needing Suisham to win it in the 4th Quarter.

See, I have seen the problem to be that the Skins haven't had a good QB to begin with? I mean *****, if they had a decent QB over the years, they wouldnt have had to worry about kicking game winning FG's and won more games and made the playoffs more...

Are you seriously defending crappy kickers? Is your dad Scott Norwood or something?

Right now, Suisham looks like the best candidate available for the Skins PK. I wonder whether a top-notch walk-on kicker would try to unseat Suisham when there are other teams with starting kickers who are more vulnerable.

No harm in bringing in another kicker, I guess. After all, it wouldn't be bad to have someone to share all the kicking duties, and prevent Suisham from over-kicking. However, I feel Suisham is almost a 100% lock, unless he really messes up. So, to avoid Suisham injuring himself competing to retain his job -- I'd quietly let him know ... he didn't have to worry, just work on honing his skills and getting ready for the next season.

Having Brooks doing kickoffs is not a good idea. Better that the rookie stay focused as he tries to land a job as our punter. The NFL is a big step up and Brooks will have his hands full simply getting used to that transition.

I'll go through numbers since it's easier:

3) If pressure doesn't matter, then why are you arguing my point? I'm the one who said that it doesn't matter, that one should, at the NFL level, be performing regardless of pressure.

4) Just because you say it's false doesn't make it false.

5) Well, like you said, if one focuses exclusively on who is touching the ball, then yeah, I'm looking EXACTLY at what you're talking about. I've been watching football for the better part of two decades. I know what I'm watching.

6) What the hell does that have to do with anything? Don't miss. It's your JOB. If I screw up at my job, then children lose their families, and I don't get paid a tenth of what the kicker is being paid.

:laugh:

I want to hear this definition, please enduldge.

No such thing as pressure for an NFL kicker. I agree.

4) It is false.

5) A bad snap is not just a snap off target. Speed of a snap is maybe if as important, as location of a snap.

6) Yes, there is a reason why you dont get paid a tenth of a kicker. We know.

Smoking? Paper route? What the hell are you talking about?

Best qualified = Best. I don't understand how you can't understand that.

When did I say that a kicker should make a field goal if the ball is on its side? I'm talking about when there's a decent snap and hold. If it's pouring, windy as hell, and the holder fumbled the ball, how could I expect the kicker to make it? I'm talking about all things being relatively equal.

WOW, I relly dont think you have a clue. You're interviewing 10 candidates for a job, yes you do pick the best qualified out of that bunch. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER BILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT DIDNT GET AN INTERVIEW, doesnt mean a better fit DOESNT EXIST

:laugh:

I want to hear this definition, please enduldge.

No such thing as pressure for an NFL kicker. I agree.

4) It is false.

5) A bad snap is not just a snap off target. Speed of a snap is maybe if as important, as location of a snap.

6) Yes, there is a reason why you dont get paid a tenth of a kicker. We know.

1) I watch the entire field. I notice when people don't run their routes. What are you arguing with?

2) I'll "enduldge" you, whatever the hell that means. Performing = make the field goal. Not performing = missing the field goal.

3) ???

4) Brilliant. :rolleyes:

5) Yeah, I know. Gonna explain to me how an incomplete pass can be due to the speed of the throw as well as the location that the ball is placed now? 'Cause I've got that one down, too. Thanks.

6) That pathetic attempt at an insult is ridiculous. Why, pray tell, do I not make a tenth of what a kicker makes? Enlighten me.

Having Brooks doing kickoffs is not a good idea. Better that the rookie stay focused as he tries to land a job as our punter. The NFL is a big step up and Brooks will have his hands full simply getting used to that transition.

I completely agree with this statement. I went through this same process in my switch from HS football to college. Unfortunately, that didn't last long and I got thrown into kicking-off in addition to my punting duties early on my freshmen year and it really threw me through a loop in terms of preparation and fatigue... Mentally you don't have to worry about doing more than one thing in a game when you just punt. Most importantly, he will be able to keep his leg fresh. He is going from 12 games to 20+ games in the NFL...kicking off will kill his leg....

WOW, I relly dont think you have a clue. You're interviewing 10 candidates for a job, yes you do pick the best qualified out of that bunch. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER BILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT DIDNT GET AN INTERVIEW, doesnt mean a better fit DOESNT EXIST

Ten candidates? Do you have any idea how the NFL works? Do you know what scouting is? Do you understand that the best kicker makes his high school team, the best high school kicker makes his college team, and the best college kicker makes it to the NFL?

If you want to factor in billions of other people, then go for it. It doesn't exactly make me look foolish to take that number seriously.

Ten candidates? Do you have any idea how the NFL works? Do you know what scouting is? Do you understand that the best kicker makes his high school team, the best high school kicker makes his college team, and the best college kicker makes it to the NFL?

If you want to factor in billions of other people, then go for it. It doesn't exactly make me look foolish to take that number seriously.

I was talking about a job interview in the REAL WORLD. If your one of the best 32 in the world already, a college kicker should never get drafted OR kickers wouldnt get replaced untill they retire. Because obviously you're one of the best 32.

I was talking about a job interview in the REAL WORLD. If your one of the best 32 in the world already, a college kicker should never get drafted OR kickers wouldnt get replaced untill they retire. Because obviously you're one of the best 32.

What? Obviously. That's how a job market works. Are you just trying to increase your post count or something?

What? Obviously. That's how a job market works. Are you just trying to increase your post count or something?

If anyone wants to discuss the process of becoming an NFL kicker, send me a PM. Otherwise, stop being thread whores(newcliche21) and talk skins football...

If anyone wants to discuss the process of becoming an NFL kicker, send me a PM. Otherwise, stop being thread whores(newcliche21) and talk skins football...

So if anyone wants to discuss this topic, then PM you? Man, I haven't understood a thing that you've said.

All that I've said is that being a kicker is easier than pretty much any other position. There are, what? Four or five plays to memorize that you've been doing the same way since you were ten? You never hear about a coach coming in and installing a new special teams, do you?

Kicking and punting mistakes are just unacceptable. If someone Romo sits to pee's the hold, then fine, not your fault. If it's really windy and you're 50 yards out, then fine, I'll understand. But missing an extra point? No. Unacceptable.

You want to talk post count??? Youre 23 yrs old w/ over 4000 posts already, you should be a senior at college kicking FGs cause they're so damn easy. Sure you have a job??? Or been through an interview??? If post counts = football IQ, you should be the Skins GM. You probably have MAD Madden skills.

So if anyone wants to discuss this topic, then PM you? Man, I haven't understood a thing that you've said.

All that I've said is that being a kicker is easier than pretty much any other position. There are, what? Four or five plays to memorize that you've been doing the same way since you were ten? You never hear about a coach coming in and installing a new special teams, do you?

Kicking and punting mistakes are just unacceptable. If someone Romo sits to pee's the hold, then fine, not your fault. If it's really windy and you're 50 yards out, then fine, I'll understand. But missing an extra point? No. Unacceptable.

When have you seen a missed EP under perfect conditions/ hold etc.? Its so easy, we should shrink the posts like Arena and play it off the net, RIGHT.

Archived