Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bad day

DCsportsfan53

So I'm about 3 months into my new career, one that I have a passion for and I love my current situation. I finally feel like I've found my place in the world, found what I was "meant" to do and that's working on VWs which many of you know I have an unexplainable love for. :laugh:

Anyways, about two weeks ago I started having problems with my wrist. Tingling sensations when I tried to grip things, arm falling asleep at night when I'm not laying on it and I found out yesterday (through electromagnetic testing) that I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. So now, almost three months into a new job, I'm faced with needing surgery on one of the most crucial parts of my body for this job and that I will likely be unable to do my job for 6-8 weeks, maybe longer, as I recover from the surgery.

Very frustrated right now, it just seems like anytime things start to swing my direction something out of my control steps in to set me back. I love what I do but more specifically, I really like where I work and the people I work with, which is a hard thing to find, especially in the car business but I have no idea if they're even going to keep me on board given this situation and I wouldn't blame them if they didn't. Just thought I'd share and see if anyone else has had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or Carpal Tunnel Release surgery and maybe go fishing for a little encouragement. I guess now I know how it feels for an athlete to go on IR :laugh: . Very discouraging that all I want is to be able to do my job, learn and grow at it and my body won't let me at the moment. :(

I dunno my aunt just had this surgery and it was very painful for her because it was her right hand

How bad were her symptoms? I've only had noticeable symptoms for a couple weeks but, based on the electromagnetic test results, it's been going on for awhile. The nerve response in my right hand are significantly slower than the left and what they're supposed to be at.

How bad were her symptoms? I've only had noticeable symptoms for a couple weeks but, based on the electromagnetic test results, it's been going on for awhile. The nerve response in my right hand are significantly slower than the left and what they're supposed to be at.

I mean she is a travel agent and spend her entire time on the computer and uses the keyboard constantly so I am assuming this has been for a while

Have you been working out or exercising lately - more than you had before you got this job?

No, no real change in excercise habits.

I dunno but i recommend maybe carpel tunnel gloves. I use them when i am on the computer which relieves the pressure big time. I also give a pair to my mom so she can use them at work

Believe it or not, that's actually a misconception. There's is little to no scientific evidence supporting repetitive motions or keyboard use as a cause for CTS. Genetics, trauma to the wrist, diabetes and arthritis are the main causes. I fractured that wrist a few years back so that might have something to do with it.

My background: Massage therapist. We are taught a good deal about CTS.

Here's what the doctors never tell you... that there are other places along the median nerve (ie. pronator teres) where it can get impinged. Doctors, for some stupid reason.... always believe it's at the transverse ligament. Hence, 50% of the surgeries are unsuccessful at alleviated the symptoms.

It's absolutely ridiculous for a doctor to test for a condition... and immediately recommend invasive surgery with 50% success. You should begin with conservative treatment -- which any responsible doctor would recommend.

Overuse of the finger flexors can cause inflamation of the tendon sheaths, which can develop into fibrosis (ie. thickening of the flexor tendon OR the transverse Carpal ligament). CTS can also occur because of previous injury or other chronic microtrauma, subluxation of the lunate, or osteoarthritis (I'm pretty sure you aren't pregnant.. which is another cause) :)

Symptoms include numbing/tingling in the thumb,index and middle finger (and 1/2 of the ring finger). Worse at night. Relieved by shaking the hand. Pain may be at wrist that radiates into elbow.

Honestly... a qualified massage therapist can work the forearm flexors/extensors.... they can manually break down fibrosis... and we can also perform joint mobilizations (ie. lunate bone) that can readjust the subluxated bone.

Think about it... the ligaments have to go through the tunnel... they've been doing it your whole life. Some "cause" is making the tunnel smaller (either the tunnel is getting smaller or the tendons are inflamed and expanded). What makes you think that it's uncorrectable... that it's a permanent condition that can only be resolved by surgery cutting the ligament open to relieve the pressure?

Think of the cost for the surgery... think about the rehabilitation.

That should be a LAST resort... after conservative measures have been exhausted.

I will definitely look into that, Die Hard. The thing is though, my family has been seeing this Dr since I was 2 months old and he has ALWAYS been one to be conservative and avoid surgery wherever possible. I think the reason he jumped straight to surgery is because there's already a significant slowdown in the nerve response time in that hand meaning it's likely been an issue for awhile and the longer I wait to get the surgery, the more risk for permanent nerve damage. But you're right, I'm definitely going to get a second opinion and explore my other options here.

Prevention is key. I am an ergonomic consultant, and it blows me away when an employer provides an articulating keyboard tray to their workers and then don't teach them the proper way to use them. They get frustrated with using them and shove them under the desk, greatly increasing their risk for CTS or other RSD's.

DC, I'm sorry about your situation. surgery is not always the best option for CTS

So sorry you are going through this, Adam. What timing. My dear friend from South Georgia went through this after years of using her fingers for writing and typing working for the State. She was in her 50s, though. She did end up getting surgery, and had that same time period for recovery as well. It is imperative if you do have surgery to ensure you allow that time for recovery for the success. Since then, her problem was much better-no complaints two years after surgery.

Since then, however, I moved to Maryland and then she retired. You are much younger, so yes, investigate like DH and them said very much before considering surgery I would say. I just know that it did work for her for her remaining years on her job. You have a lot more years left to work.

So now, almost three months into a new job, I'm faced with needing surgery on one of the most crucial parts of my body for this job and that I will likely be unable to do my job for 6-8 weeks, maybe longer, as I recover from the surgery.

You'll be OK before then DC, so long as you rest it, and take care of the incision.

I had carpal tunnel surgery in 2000, and very shortly thereafter received a conditional job offer from the local police department.

I accepted the job, but had to postpone my start date by about four weeks, to allow my hand to heal. Within five weeks of the surgery, I was at the academy doing pushups everyday, etc.

One thing I will say. While you're healing, if you like video games, stay the hell off of them. That generally made mine feel worse than anything early on. If I had completely rested it, I would've done much better.

Still, like I said, 6-8 weeks is worst-case-scenario. You'll be back to work in no time.

Best of luck.

:cheers:

My background: Massage therapist. We are taught a good deal about CTS.

Here's what the doctors never tell you... that there are other places along the median nerve (ie. pronator teres) where it can get impinged. Doctors, for some stupid reason.... always believe it's at the transverse ligament. Hence, 50% of the surgeries are unsuccessful at alleviated the symptoms.

It's absolutely ridiculous for a doctor to test for a condition... and immediately recommend invasive surgery with 50% success. You should begin with conservative treatment -- which any responsible doctor would recommend.

Overuse of the finger flexors can cause inflamation of the tendon sheaths, which can develop into fibrosis (ie. thickening of the flexor tendon OR the transverse Carpal ligament). CTS can also occur because of previous injury or other chronic microtrauma, subluxation of the lunate, or osteoarthritis (I'm pretty sure you aren't pregnant.. which is another cause) :)

Symptoms include numbing/tingling in the thumb,index and middle finger (and 1/2 of the ring finger). Worse at night. Relieved by shaking the hand. Pain may be at wrist that radiates into elbow.

Honestly... a qualified massage therapist can work the forearm flexors/extensors.... they can manually break down fibrosis... and we can also perform joint mobilizations (ie. lunate bone) that can readjust the subluxated bone.

Think about it... the ligaments have to go through the tunnel... they've been doing it your whole life. Some "cause" is making the tunnel smaller (either the tunnel is getting smaller or the tendons are inflamed and expanded). What makes you think that it's uncorrectable... that it's a permanent condition that can only be resolved by surgery cutting the ligament open to relieve the pressure?

Think of the cost for the surgery... think about the rehabilitation.

That should be a LAST resort... after conservative measures have been exhausted.

...or you could stop wacking it five times a day. :2cents: :D

I was wondering how long it would take before someone said it. :laugh:

Very original, I've only heard that joke about 12 times in the last week :laugh:

LOL....

I would've been very disapointed if I'd gotten to the last post w/o someone bringing this up

:laugh:

You'll be OK before then DC, so long as you rest it, and take care of the incision.

I had carpal tunnel surgery in 2000, and very shortly thereafter received a conditional job offer from the local police department.

I accepted the job, but had to postpone my start date by about four weeks, to allow my hand to heal. Within five weeks of the surgery, I was at the academy doing pushups everyday, etc.

One thing I will say. While you're healing, if you like video games, stay the hell off of them. That generally made mine feel worse than anything early on. If I had completely rested it, I would've done much better.

Still, like I said, 6-8 weeks is worst-case-scenario. You'll be back to work in no time.

Best of luck.

:cheers:

Out of curiosity, which type of surgery did you have? There's the traditional type which involves a bigger (couple inch) incision and the newer type which (I think) uses a camera and a smaller incision, sort of like arthroscopic surgery. The Dr I've been seeing, whom I definitely trust, told me he only does the traditional one as there are some additional risks associated with the newer type (apparently there's about a 1 in 100 chance they accidentally severe a nerve completely) but, at the same time, I've read of people having the newer one with good results and obviously, being less invasive, the recovery time is significantly less. I think I need to confer with another Dr or two and get an broader idea of my options.

My solution for bad days is getting drunk. So lets go do that.

I'll even bring you one of these so you dont aggravate your wrist picking up your beer.

beerhelmet.jpg

:laugh:

Bring it on, man.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and kind words.

Out of curiosity, which type of surgery did you have? There's the traditional type which involves a bigger (couple inch) incision and the newer type which (I think) uses a camera and a smaller incision, sort of like arthroscopic surgery. The Dr I've been seeing, whom I definitely trust, told me he only does the traditional one as there are some additional risks associated with the newer type (apparently there's about a 1 in 100 chance they accidentally severe a nerve completely) but, at the same time, I've read of people having the newer one with good results and obviously, being less invasive, the recovery time is significantly less. I think I need to confer with another Dr or two and get an broader idea of my options.

Definitely get a second opinion or two. You can never go wrong doing that.

I had the traditional. And like I said, the recovery time was quick, and it was really only REALLY painful (8.5-9 out of 10) the first night. I actually had to call the doc to get a stronger painkiller. The rest of that week, it was about a 4, except when I'd use it, then it jump back up to a 6 or so. After the first week, it really didn't hurt at all.

Never had any complications, and my grip strength is almost equal in both hands now.

Archived