Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unique and relatively unknown musical instruments

Zguy28

From the "boring and fairly obscure" department, a Rothphone. It's a version of the Sarrusophone that's wrapped to look like a saxophone, apparently.

Jnl17.Joppig.Fig8L.jpg

What the hell is a Sarrusophone, you (and I) ask? Since instruments like oboes and bassoons don't carry as well as other instruments in outdoor environments, the Sarrusophone was supposed to replace them in marching bands and such. It was also potentially useful for replacing contrabassoons and contrabass saxophones. None of this really happened on a large scale for any amount of time.

I noted that a Sarrusophone was used on a They Might Be Giants album back in 2001, and after some homework, the above description is apparently the answer. As I said, obscure and boring.

Oh, and here's a Tubax. Not a marching instrument, but interesting looking:

tubax_bb_6.jpg

Sadly, I used to make fun of the band kids in high school. What the hell happened to me? :doh:

I played alto, tenor, and barritone sax in middle/highschool.

The middle three in the picture above for those who don't know.

But I didn't do marching band. I played football instead.

So basically I was a band geek who still got *****. :laugh:

So basically I was a band geek who still got *****. :laugh:

Well, from what I could tell (at a comfortable distance), it seemed that plenty of band geeks got their play.

As you might expect from band geeks, the odds were good... but the goods were odd.

No mention of PDQ Bach yet, and the variety of interesting instruments for which he wrote music:

- Lasso d'Amore

- Pastaphone

- Bicycle

- Balloon

- Dill Piccolo

- And my favorite, the Left-handed Sewer Flute.

Well, from what I could tell (at a comfortable distance), it seemed that plenty of band geeks got their play.

As you might expect from band geeks, the odds were good... but the goods were odd.

Well I stopped playing after 2 years in highschool. And I played football all 4 years. So the goods were usually pretty good. :thumbsup:

But, you are right, lots of band geeks get theirs.

Archived