Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Want Dallas Chant. Stop Please

RDSCNZ20

Turn your speakers up kids... its time to roll the clock back to the good-ol-days at RFK.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it OP!!!

See, you're actually helping to support the OP with this post. We all know that was a legendary moment in Redskins history. Something as special as this should not be overused.

As I've said in this thread, the chant was started because we were preparing to play Dallas in the NFC Championship Game. The chant was essentially discontinued for more than a decade thereafter because, as good a team as we were, we didn't play Dallas again in the playoffs.

Yet the chant has been resurrected in recent years randomly and without any context. The chant should be used when appropriate, but it is currently overused. Chanting it at the draft party, for example--if that happened--is a little ridiculous.

Save it for special moments, or else it ceases to be special.

See, you're actually helping to support the OP with this post. We all know that was a legendary moment in Redskins history. Something as special as this should not be overused.

As I've said in this thread, the chant was started because we were preparing to play Dallas in the NFC Championship Game. The chant was essentially discontinued for more than a decade thereafter because, as good a team as we were, we didn't play Dallas again in the playoffs.

Yet the chant has been resurrected in recent years randomly and without any context. The chant should be used when appropriate, but it is currently overused. Chanting it at the draft party, for example--if that happened--is a little ridiculous.

Save it for special moments, or else it ceases to be special.

I undestand the sentiment, but I dont agree, Just becasue you do something you love to do over and over again, does not make it less special. I mean I can understand some points, like when we are playing greenbay and we dont have Dallas for another 4 weeks and the craowd starts chanting we want dallas... thats dumb.

But on or close to any matchup in any year with Dallas, I see nothing wrong with it.

Might aswell stop singing the fight song after every touchdown or before every game too, if you are worried about repeating it too much. How does that sound?

I undestand the sentiment, but I dont agree, Just becasue you do something you love to do over and over again, does not make it less special. I mean I can understand some points, like when we are playing greenbay and we dont have Dallas for another 4 weeks and the craowd starts chanting we want dallas... thats dumb.

But on or close to any matchup in any year with Dallas, I see nothing wrong with it.

Might aswell stop singing the fight song after every touchdown or before every game too, if you are worried about repeating it too much. How does that sound?

If you've read any of my posts in this thread, you'd actually realize that you basically agree with me. I never said to discontinue the chant. I simply said to use it when appropriate. Which is pretty much what you are saying here.

I think it's resurgence is due to a number of factors.

Most notably, Gibbs placed emphasis on beating Dallas upon his reintroduction as HC.

Spurrier, forgettable as he may be said the same thing. It could have been an echoing of Snyder's insistence on winning those games above all, who knows?

Larry Brown #43 is right in pointing out how special it was in it's original context. However, the Cowboys had a great decade, which coincided with them turning our rivalry into a one sided bout. Somewhere along the way Snyder bought the team, and being a fan himself fully appreciated the importance of kicking their asses.

As the 'Skins have begun to even the match-up over the past few seasons, our fans have begun to feel good about themselves on these victories alone. I agree the ultimate desire is another Lombardi trophy, still, the more immediate sentiment will always be to beat Dallas...:2cents:

Edit to say:

That autographed picture of ST is, itself, going to resonate for a long time..

As the 'Skins have begun to even the match-up over the past few seasons, our fans have begun to feel good about themselves on these victories alone. I agree the ultimate desire is another Lombardi trophy, still, the more immediate sentiment will always be to beat Dallas.

The thing is, even when the Skins rivalry with Dallas was at its absolute pinnacle, the chant was only used during two specific playoff games one year. It was NOT used throughout the golden era of Gibbs I except for those two games. I think that's where a lot of people are revising the history of this chant.

It's a very new phenomenon that the chant is used all the time. Using it all the time is not really in keeping with Redskins tradition at all. Don't get me wrong -- the chant has a very special and important place in Redskins history. But it shouldn't be used carelessly at every conceivable Redskins function. It should be used when appropriate.

It's a very new phenomenon that the chant is used all the time. Using it all the time is not really in keeping with Redskins tradition at all. Don't get me wrong -- the chant has a very special and important place in Redskins history. But it shouldn't be used carelessly at every conceivable Redskins function. It should be used when appropriate.

Asking for millions to impart utter significance when expressing their allegiance, is asking too much.

It was an incredibly unique moment in Redskins history that has, as many brief moments in world history, taken on a further reaching, broader context.

Asking for something great to remain finite, is too much to ask of Redskins fans. We are, afterall, fanatics.:2cents:

Asking for something great to remain finite, is too much to ask of Redskins fans. We are, afterall, fanatics.:2cents:

You're probably right here. The toothpaste is out of the tube and can't be put back in.

But people should recognize that chanting 'We Want Dallas' at every Redskin event is NOT the continuation of some long-standing Redskin tradition. Joe Gibbs heard this chant exactly twice--in consecutive weeks--during his first 12 seasons with the Skins. Yet he probably heard it countless times during his second tenure with the team. So the constant use of this chant has really become a new phenomenon, and those who are preaching history and tradition should realize this.

omg people are having a little bit of fun. if chanting we want dallas helps people enjoy the situation...who cares?

and who are anyone of us to tell them they shouldnt? theres a lot of dumb things that go on in the sports world that people take too far, in the end its something we all enjoy. who cares?

omg people are having a little bit of fun. if chanting we want dallas helps people enjoy the situation...who cares?

and who are anyone of us to tell them they shouldnt? theres a lot of dumb things that go on in the sports world that people take too far, in the end its something we all enjoy. who cares?

Pretty simple. As Redskin fans we like to think we are some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NFL, but this chant, when overused or in the wrong setting, makes us look stupid. Kind of like if the crowd started doing the wave on 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter of a tie game.

Pretty simple. As Redskin fans we like to think we are some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NFL, but this chant, when overused or in the wrong setting, makes us look stupid. Kind of like if the crowd started doing the wave on 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter of a tie game.

no i fully understand the point you're trying to make. in my opinion i just don't think its that serious. and i really doubt people chanting we want dallas will make us look stupid.

1 paloff win in 10 years(had to do it)

our owner

brandon lloyd or moves like him.

any of that is cause for concern more so then some fans chanting "we want dallas" arguably the best rivalry in sports.....just because of context when it was first used.

if anything it could be a good thing. at the draft yes kinda dumb but oh well....did you watch the j-e-t-s fans hahaha....now thats dumb.

Man guess you werent at the draft day party. When Zorn was standing there and we started chanting WE WANT DALLAS - it was just intense and just beautiful. It is things like this that gets our team pumped and just for safe measures

WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS!

Man guess you werent at the draft day party. When Zorn was standing there and we started chanting WE WANT DALLAS - it was just intense and just beautiful. It is things like this that gets our team pumped and just for safe measures

WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS!

sartz?

The thing is, even when the Skins rivalry with Dallas was at its absolute pinnacle, the chant was only used during two specific playoff games one year. It was NOT used throughout the golden era of Gibbs I except for those two games. I think that's where a lot of people are revising the history of this chant.

I think you are taking it WAY out of context. Its a football fan chant for Christ's sake. Its not about reading from the Tora during a sader or anything akin to that.

It makes for a powerful gesture during the Dallas/Redskins games. We always want Dallas. They are our favorite rival. I say use it 2 times a year minimum. One week before we are to meet them and before kickoff of our regular season games. We can add from there... When Romo sits to pee is going for it on 4th and 2 with the game on the line... hell do it whenever you want. It does not make it any less special IMO. Its just a game afterall.

Quick story. This will sound like I'm making this up, but I swear it's true:

It's the 80s. I'm watching the Redskins at RFK. We're due to play Dallas in three weeks. Somebody has a sign up that says

WE WANT DALLAS

A week later -- I happen to be watching the Cowboys play somebody at Texas Stadium, don't remember who. And I swear there is a sign in that stadium, which the TV cameras showed, that said:

REDSKINS ONLY THINK THEY WANT DALLAS

A week later, another game on TV, this one at RFK. And there's a sign in the RFK that read:

WE KNOW WE WANT DALLAS!

The following week, we played Dallas and won.

It makes for a powerful gesture during the Dallas/Redskins games. We always want Dallas. They are our favorite rival. I say use it 2 times a year minimum. One week before we are to meet them and before kickoff of our regular season games. We can add from there... When Romo sits to pee is going for it on 4th and 2 with the game on the line... hell do it whenever you want. It does not make it any less special IMO. Its just a game afterall.

In a previous post you said youself that if we're playing Green Bay and Dallas week is four weeks away, it's dumb to chant We Want Dallas. Which is exactly what I've been trying to say all along. I think we basically agree, yet for some reason you're just not seeing that we basically agree.

It's the 80s. I'm watching the Redskins at RFK. We're due to play Dallas in three weeks. Somebody has a sign up that says

WE WANT DALLAS

A week later -- I happen to be watching the Cowboys play somebody at Texas Stadium, don't remember who. And I swear there is a sign in that stadium, which the TV cameras showed, that said:

A week later, another game on TV, this one at RFK. And there's a sign in the RFK that read:

WE KNOW WE WANT DALLAS!

see thats awesome...

and thats what makes rivalries fun am i right? if we didnt care about playing dallas would it be special when we played them? no it would be like playing the bengals or something. if we had nothing to cheer for or get excited about whats the point in sporting events.

At every event: new coach hire, new players conference, draft party, wiz game, etc..

The we want Dallas chant comes out or some reference to beating Dallas. Can we please chant for a superbowl instead. I doubt that the brokebacks are chantting we want skins at their draft party or their coaches/players referencing beating us. Its embarrassing, let set the bar higher than beating Dallas. I understand they are our rival, but beating them doesn't meant jack if they go to SB and win, and we claim we beat them.

:2cents:

WE WANT DALLAS :point2sky

WE WANT DALLAS :logo:

WE WANT DALLAS :helmet:

WE WANT DALLAS :dallasuck

WE WANT DALLAS :cheers:

It's great when we're playing Dallas next week, or right before the Dallas game, or during the game. Otherwise, it's actually kind of pathetic.

I only say this because I'm tired of seeing the local Red Sox faithful go on and on with their "Yankees Suck!" chants. It seems to me they are focused more on the Yankees than the Sox - did they not notice the World Series wins in '04 and '07? Sheesh!!! There's nothing more pathetic than the Sox kicking someone's butt (for instance the Texas Rangers) and the crowd spontaneously starting with the Yankees Suck chant. It's like what happens with the Yankees is more important than what happens with the Sox. It's "retah-did." :rolleyes:

Having been a Skins fan since the beginning of the Allen Era, I completely understand the Cowpuke rivalry - I just don't think that chant really has any bearing on, for example, a game against the Rams - unless we're killing them and next week's opponent is the 'Girls, in which case the message is "we're done with you Rams - bring on the Cowboys!"

As many other posters said - right place, right time. Great chant!!!

Sorry for the rant.

:2cents:

I love the chant, but I also think that it has a time and a place. It really should only be used when we're about to play Dallas. There really is no reason to chant it during the draft party or after a Lions game the week before we go to Green Bay, it ruins how special the chant is. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing, and I think that's what the OP was getting at. I don't think he hates the chant, I think he hates that people use it at "inappropriate" times.

This message is for RDSCNZ20......SHUT THE @#*% UP!!!!!

JUST LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID, LEARN YOUR REDSKINS HISTORY. WHY DON'T YOU GO UP TO BOSTON AND TELL THE SOX FANS TO STOP CHANTING YANKEES SUCK. I AM FROM TEXAS. AND THERE IS NOTHING I DESPISE MORE THAN THE DAMN COWBOYS. GEORGE ALLEN IS TURNING OVER IN HIS GRAVE BY YOUR POST. I GUESS THAT YOU ARE JUST A FAIRWEATHER FAN, BECAUSE NO TRUE REDSKIN FAN WOULD SAY TO STOP THE CHANT.

"40 men TOGETHER can't lose" - George Allen

WE WANT DALLAS

WE KNOW WE WANT DALLAS!

this is my point.. We were due to play Dallas in 3 weeks and we hold a sign that says we want Dallas.. WFT is that? if it was the next week, i can see...the past two years at Fedex after the game was over people starting chanting we want Dallas when we were even playing them in a few weeks..

I understand they are a rival, we give them too much respect when we always say we want Dallas. Lets beat them and win the SB, let the brokebacks chant we want Washington. Its like, a girl you like and call her all the time but she doesn't call you back..

Beating Dallas doesn't not define our team, winning SB does. So I could careless about Dallas as long as we have more SB than them..

I heard that during the G Allen era, Skins fans used to go to downtown Dallas and have pep rallies... now thats FUN!!

Archived