Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EAGLES EYEBALL DT Dewayne ROBERTSON

Skins4ever1

Jets' Robertson meets with Eagles

PHILADELPHIA – With the NFL Draft around the corner, Eagles coach Andy Reid is still seeking options to continue building his team.

Jets defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, a No. 4 overall pick in 2003, visited the NovaCare Complex recently to meet with the Eagles and take a physical, according to two league sources.

The Eagles can't comment on Robertson, who is still property of the Jets but became trade bait when New York switched to a 3-4 defensive alignment this off-season and signed Kris Jenkins to play nose tackle.

Robertson, listed by the Jets' Web site as 6-foot-1, 317 pounds, was also in conversations with at least four other teams, said one source, who couldn't confirm if the Eagles had made an offer to the Jets. The Eagles have 11 picks in the draft, which starts next Saturday, and could pick up more if they deal cornerback Lito Sheppard. The Denver Broncos are also reportedly seeking the sixth-year Jet's services.

It's unknown how Robertson would feel about competing for a starting job in Philadelphia. The Eagles already have two young first-round picks at defensive tackle in fourth-year left tackle Mike Patterson and third-year right tackle Brodrick Bunkley. A source also said Robertson's contract would have to be restructured.

Robertson, who signed a seven-year, $54 million rookie contract, is slated to make $6.8 million in 2008, with a $3 million roster bonus due in June and is reportedly costing the Jets $12 million against the cap.

In 2003, Robertson became the first Jets rookie defensive lineman to start every game since Marty Lyons in 1970. He has started 60 regular-season games and three playoff games. The former University of Kentucky standout has 14.5 career sacks and has never made a Pro Bowl.

EAGLES EYEBALL ROBERTSON

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2008, 8:36 p.m.

With the New York Jets desperate to trade defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, the fourth overall pick in the 2003 draft, before having to pay him a $3 million roster bonus, the Jets have found another potential trade partner.

After failed talks with the Bengals and stalled talks with the Broncos, the Jets could be sending Robertson to the Eagles.

According to Geoff Mosher of the News Journal, Robertson recently visited Philly, and its resident football team.

Working out a trade with the Jets should be a problem — a third-round pick, a fifth-round pick, and a case of beef jerkey should get that part of the deal done. The problem is Robertson’s contract. Less than two months from getting a free and clear release, Robertson has no real incentive to re-do the deal, unless his new team is ready to fork over the cash.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/18/eagles-eyeball-robertson/

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/SPORTS/80418026/1002

I found this (PFT:doh: ) interesting and kinda ties into the thread:

NEW TRADE CHART AN EFFORT BY EAGLES TO MOVE UP?

Posted by Mike Florio

In response to the emergence of a new proposed trade chart, a league source tells us that, in his opinion and based on discussions with most of the other NFL teams, the proposal is the direct result of the Philadelphia Eagles to make it easier to trade up from the No. 19 overall spot in the 2008 draft.

“The whole thing sounds like an elaborate ruse,” the source said.

It’s not clear who the Eagles would be targeting via a move, or how high they’d like to go. If the Eagles are indeed behind the creation of the new chart, the fact that the first four picks dropped in value and the rest of the first-rounders increased suggests that they’d like to get into the top four — and possibly all the way to No. 1.

Moreover, if the Eagles are trying to pull off a move up, there’s only one other team that needs to agree with the chart, and that’s the team with whom the Eagles would be trading.

That is interesting but who in the top 4 picks is worth trading a lot for that they would need?

The only player I could see is OT Jake Long.

They may have targeted one specific player and if they fall a little the Eagles will jump. It could be Chris Long, Gholston, Dorsey or even Albert or Ellis who some boards have top 5.

Or perhaps they want to grab another QB with their top pick.;)

They may have targeted one specific player and if they fall a little the Eagles will jump. It could be Chris Long, Gholston, Dorsey or even Albert or Ellis who some boards have top 5.

Or perhaps they want to grab another QB with their top pick.;)

I can't see them doing all that for another DT when they already have 2 first round picks starting at DT for them. They are both really youg too. I can see Jake Long because its probably Tre Thomas' last season.

I can't see them doing all that for another DT when they already have 2 first round picks starting at DT for them. They are both really youg too. I can see Jake Long because its probably Tre Thomas' last season.
Per the article they are looking to trade for another DT, so ya never know.

Jake Long will not drop more than 2 slots so I doubt he is their target but that is why I included Albert in my post.

My guess would be for them to look to solidify the DE position.

Jake Long will not drop more than 2 slots so I doubt he is their target but that is why I included Albert in my post.

I can see them drafting Brandon Albert. He does remind me of a Shawn Andrews type O-lineman. The WRs in this years draft are not very good so they aren't moving up for that.

Mark my words folks, and I haven't been wrong yet.... :fingersx:

If they in fact jump into the top 5, it will be to go grab OL, if they jump into the top 10, it will be for a CB or WR. They just added Clemons so getting a DE this high wouldn't make much sense because they are so high on Victor A. They would take a shot at Long, only if he fell, but he won't make it past the 4th pick.

Three players they covet other than OL Williams, Clady and Albert are Devin Thomas (WR, Mich State), Leodis McKelvin (CB/PR Troy) and Mike Jenkins (CB, USF). My guess is that if they can move Lito and move up, it will be for a OL, but if the Tackle they want is gone, Devin Thomas will be the pick.

As Eskin says, "This is a Stone Cold Mortal Lock!"

Robertson has no desire or need to redo his contract. He is currently scheduled to be overpaid for the next few years. I think no team will bite and they will have to cut him, and then teams will go after him. Makes no sense to trade picks for the right to overpay a guy.

You sound like my wife.:silly:
If they in fact jump into the top 5, it will be to go grab OL, if they jump into the top 10, it will be for a CB or WR. They just added Clemons so getting a DE this high wouldn't make much sense because they are so high on Victor A. They would take a shot at Long, only if he fell, but he won't make it past the 4th pick.

Three players they covet other than OL Williams, Clady and Albert are Devin Thomas (WR, Mich State), Leodis McKelvin (CB/PR Troy) and Mike Jenkins (CB, USF). My guess is that if they can move Lito and move up, it will be for a OL, but if the Tackle they want is gone, Devin Thomas will be the pick.

Some of these guys would still be available in the 10-15 pick range. An OL pick would definitely fit AR's MO.

You sound like my wife.:silly:

Some of these guys would still be available in the 10-15 pick range. An OL pick would definitely fit AR's MO.

I hope he doesn't get an OL in the first round. Though its a need, Reid can move Herrimans out to LT where he belongs, put MJG at LG and move Justice to his natural RT. He actually played well there last season (remember Osi killed him at LT). OL is a need, but they actually have the pieces in place, I wouldn't mind a CB/PR with some size....

move Justice to his natural RT. He actually played well there last season (remember Osi killed him at LT).
Believe me, none of us forget the Osi game.;)
OL is a need, but they actually have the pieces in place, I wouldn't mind a CB/PR with some size....
I see the Eagles minimally needing to look at WR, CB (if Lito is gone), OT, S and a PR. As far as a return man goes they can go WR/PR, S/PR or CB/PR, there are a number of options for each position. I also would not be surpised for them to bring in another DE, DT and LB. :2cents:

The Delaware County Times believes the Eagles would like to trade up to No. 11 to select Virginia OL Brandon Albert.

The Bills would then select Michigan St. WR Devin Thomas with the No. 19 pick. Philadelphia has 11 draft picks and veteran CB Lito Sheppard to dangle as trade bait, but this particular scenario smacks of idle beat writer musing.

Source: Delware County Times

I don't think he'll be available at 11.:2cents:

The Delaware County Times believes the Eagles would like to trade up to No. 11 to select Virginia OL Brandon Albert.

The Bills would then select Michigan St. WR Devin Thomas with the No. 19 pick. Philadelphia has 11 draft picks and veteran CB Lito Sheppard to dangle as trade bait, but this particular scenario smacks of idle beat writer musing.

Source: Delware County Times

I don't think he'll be available at 11.:2cents:

I was really hoping the Skins would draft Albert but unless we trade up it aint happening. I think Albert is the next best thing outside of Jake Long. This dude has Shawn ANdrews #2 written all over him.

Devin Thomas in the first round? Wow, I hadn't realized he had jumped that high. Seemed like last time I checked, he was a 3rd rounder. Funny how that stuff works! Malcolm Kelly has one bad workout, and Devin Thomas is a gazillionaire! :laugh:

As Eskin says, "This is a Stone Cold Mortal Lock!"

From all of the mock drafts I've read, they have the last of the best OLs(Chris Williams) taken #18 by Houston.(of course, one ahead of your team) While some mock drafts have NE taking Albert.

IMHO-looks like Philly won't have to trade up THAT much to get what they want. And for that matter, NE seems to be the biggest suitors for Lito, so this is another good possibility.

I hope he doesn't get an OL in the first round. Though its a need, Reid can move Herrimans out to LT where he belongs, put MJG at LG and move Justice to his natural RT. He actually played well there last season (remember Osi killed him at LT). OL is a need, but they actually have the pieces in place, I wouldn't mind a CB/PR with some size....

Didn't WJ nonetheless protect Leinart's blind-side at USC? Pt being that he should play that LT spot nonetheless, given his experience in college.:2cents:

Devin Thomas in the first round? Wow, I hadn't realized he had jumped that high. Seemed like last time I checked, he was a 3rd rounder. Funny how that stuff works! Malcolm Kelly has one bad workout, and Devin Thomas is a gazillionaire! :laugh:

It is ridiculous, isn't it?

Back in February there were 6-10 receivers, none of whom separated themselves from the pack or warranted a high pick. Now all of a sudden Devin Thomas is supposedly a better player than any of the others and clearly warrants a top 20 pick. I wonder if the GMs realize that no one has played a real football game in the time that all this change took place.

I'll be very, very upset if they pick Thomas. They should take a receiver in the 2nd round, first round should be BPA between OL, CB, or DE.

Archived