Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great stuff! The voice of Iraq vs. an anti war hippy

Skins24

Frankly, peace and justice in Iraq is not my primary concern.

The question that needs to be asked in my mind is whether war in Iraq will serve to further threaten the peace and safety in our own country.

If we do nothing there exists a danger to our citizenry. If we do something (war in Iraq) will the danger increase or decrease?

This is the gamble we're taking. Only time will tell whether or not the odds play in our favor.

Interesting little tidbit (yes, I said tidbit) in the WP which I think is relevant here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52020-2003Mar19.html

Poll Vault: Re-evaluating Vietnam (The Kids Were Not Alright)

So much for peace, love and understanding.

A May 1975 Time magazine survey found that long after the American public had come around to the youth protestors' anti-Vietnam views, they still didn't care for the protestors themselves.

Anti-Iraq demonstrators: take note.

Question: Looking back, do you give a lot of credit to the college youth in the 1960's who demonstrated against the (Vietnam) war, or do you feel that they went about things the wrong way?

- 32% Give credit

- 61% Went about things wrong way

- 7% Not sure

Source: Telephone survey conducted by the Yankelovich, Skelly & White May 14-22, 1975, among a national adult sample of 1,014. Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, University of Connecticut.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Just because someone can't form a decent opinion doesn't mean that they smoke pot. I know plenty of articulate potheads so don't go attacking them for any reason. This girl just sounds like an idiot.

I was refering to the gen x hippy life style and not the pot smoking. I agree I know many tokers that are very intelligent and are capable of forming a decent opinion :cheers:

In this case, the Iraqi ex-pat stated his opinion and defended it. The girl stated her opinion but refused to defend it but simply continued stating the opinion. She did succeed in angering the Iraqi guy, which with some people would reduce his credibility and sometimes turns your opposition into a 'bull in a china shop', but any critical-thinking listener would see through her tactics, especially since she failed to create the 'bull in a china shop' syndrome.

Although I agree that the specific issue addressed in this piece does not sway me one way or the other, if one puts forth opinion, they must be prepared to defend the opinion not just attack competing opinions.

Good point OPM. There actually are some answers one could have offered, but the girl not only seemed ill-prepared for the question, but unable to handle the caller's intimidating tactics. It simply shows that unless you are prepared to stand up for your beleifs, you shouldn't be parading them around in public like some 'chirping bird.' ;)

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

I actually happen to be a part of the Gen X hippy life style and I don't support the war for economic reasons but now that we are going in, as a loyal American I will support our troops till they're home.

I don't support the war for economic reasons, I support the war for national security, world security, and liberation of Iraq.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by stratoman

I don't support the war for economic reasons, I support the war for national security, world security, and liberation of Iraq.

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=0&aid=D7PSFCA80_story

March 19, 2003 05:58 PM EST

NEW YORK - Wall Street notched its longest winning streak in nearly three years Wednesday, as investors picked up shares before the deadline President Bush set for Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to flee or face war.

Volume was moderate as some investors held back pending developments in Iraq. Tech shares, meanwhile, sagged on a cautious outlook from Oracle.

"There's a sense of relief that we now understand all the war variables for the first time in a month," said Brian Pears, head equity trader at Victory Capital Management in Cleveland. "We know there's a military solution. That euphoria won't last forever, but it certainly accounts for one of the best rallies in three years."

The Dow Jones industrial average closed up 71.22, or 0.9 percent, at 8,265.45, for a six-day advance of 741 points. It was blue chip stocks' highest closing level since Jan. 23, when the Dow finished at 8,369.47.

The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 7.57, or 0.9 percent, to 874.02. The last time the Dow and S&P 500 saw six straight days of gains was August 2000.

A third key market indicator finished lower, however. The Nasdaq composite index fell 3.48, or 0.3 percent, to 1,397.07.

Oracle Corp. dropped 94 cents to $11.31 after the software maker cautioned that profits may sag if the anticipated war isn't completed quickly. The news weighed on other tech companies, including Siebel Systems, which fell 53 cents to $8.79.

"We're used to Oracle being the cheerleader in the technology sector since it historically has given us relatively positive guidance," said Arthur Hogan, chief market analyst at Jefferies & Co. "Yet their guidance was cloudy, so that didn't help."

Meanwhile, long columns of U.S. troops and armored vehicles advanced toward the Iraqi border. About 300,000 U.S. and British forces stood ready for attack as Iraq's government resisted Bush's ultimatum for Saddam to give up power.

Investors have pushed stocks sharply higher in the past week, boosted by hopes of a short and successful war with Iraq. Still, analysts caution that Wall Street could quickly see losses should the U.S.-led military conflict fail to achieve a quick victory.

"Unfortunately, we're going to trade headline to headline for a while," said Pears. "It's really difficult to say what the market will do in the short-term depending on what happens overseas."

"For the rally to continue, it would have to be a quick and relatively casualty-free war," he added.

Hogan believes stocks can only go higher, barring unforeseen circumstances such as terrorism or a biochemical attack.

"We've only seen the tip of the iceberg," he said of the market's gains. "I think we can see an upside of 20 percent as we get clear evidence of the military endeavors, much like we saw 12 years ago after the Gulf War."

Gainers included defense contractors General Dynamics, which climbed 67 cents to $58.42, and Northrop Grumman, which rose $1.29 to $87.45.

Albertson's increased $1.25 to $20 after the supermarket chain reported fourth-quarter earnings that met analysts' expectations.

FedEx rose $3.50 to $55.18 after the package-delivery company reported earnings that fell a penny short of analysts' expectations.

But Bayer fell $1.19 to $14.21, pulling back after a huge increase the day before. The company's U.S.-traded shares rose 37 percent Tuesday after the drug maker was cleared of liability in the first lawsuit to go to trial accusing it of ignoring research linking the cholesterol-lowering drug Baycol to dozens of deaths.

Advancing issues outnumbered decliners 5 to 4 on the New York Stock Exchange. Consolidated volume was moderate at 1.82 billion shares, compared with 1.91 billion traded Tuesday.

The Russell 2000 index, a barometer of smaller company stocks, rose 0.51, or 0.1 percent, to 368.51.

Overseas, Japan's Nikkei stock average finished 1.2 percent higher Wednesday. In Europe, France's CAC-40 climbed 1.5 percent, Britain's FTSE 100 gained 0.5 percent and Germany's DAX index rose 1.2 percent.

Originally posted by CounterTre

"Nikelodeon Diplomacy" :lol: That guy was great!

You know, I wasn't going to even bring it up, but the Iraqi didn't sound right to me. Sounded more like someone from Wisconsin trying to sound like one. The 'Nickelodeon' comment struck me as something an American would say, not an Iraqi dissident. I could be wrong, and it was certainly amusing to listen to, but I still got the nagging feeling he wasn't for real.

Archived