Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft--The Third Option

rtandler

We've heard a lot of talk about moving down from #21 and a little bit about moving up. But there is a third option, one that hasn't been discussed much:

Suppose the Carolina Panthers take defensive Derrick Harvey with their pick and #13 and then decide to make a move for their quarterback of the future. They will need someone to take over when Jake Delhomme is done, something that is likely to be the case sooner rather than later. Brian Brohm of Louisville is there when the Redskins are on the clock at #21. Marty Hurney decides to make his move.

He offers next year's first and third and this year's third for Washington's first. Should Cerrato take it?

You can link to the rest of the article here.

Would such a move create an Extreme meltdown or big-time applause?

The #21 pick is worth 800 points.

Carolina's third rounder is worth 215 points.

If we assume they finish in the middle of the pack next year (16), and discount the values of their picks by one round (typical for a one year projection), next year's first rounder would be worth 420 points, and next year's third rounder would be worth 70 points.

Add that up, and you get 705 points. Strictly by the trade value chart, we lose.

If we assume they finish in the middle of the pack next year (16), and discount the values of their picks by one round (typical for a one year projection), next year's first rounder would be worth 420 points, and next year's third rounder would be worth 70 points.

Add that up, and you get 705 points. Strictly by the trade value chart, we lose.

Using your outline of a projected #16 position and one round deduction per year, Carolina's 2nd and 3rd this year and next year's 2nd would equal 880 (470 + 220 + 190) - a favorable return.

Our draft order would change from 21, 51, 84, 96 to 43, 51, 74, 84, 96. (Plus Carolina's next year's 2nd)

To me, it depends on who is available @ #21.

:helmet: The Rook

I'm no draft expert but I'd take that in a heartbeat. The possibility of having 2 firsts and thirds next year would be a great deal IMO.

Plus a second and 3 thirds this year would give us the depth we need on OL and at CB. We could possibly land a good starting WR too.

if someone is trying to move up from the 2nd round into the 21 slot

I'd want their 2nd rounder this year and 1st in the next 09 draft AT THE LEAST.

that said I'd gladly take carolinas 2nd and their 1st in 09.

the panthers are a WC team at best and most likely a 6-10 or 8-8 team.

Trades like this happen only if top talent or a QB slips. I highly doubt that Henne, Flacco, or Brohm will warrant a trade up.

If a team does offer it, it'd be hard to turn it down. We'll have a better idea next offseason as to what we really need.

Trades like this happen only if top talent or a QB slips. I highly doubt that Henne, Flacco, or Brohm will warrant a trade up.

If a team does offer it, it'd be hard to turn it down. We'll have a better idea next offseason as to what we really need.

Agree here. It is extremely unlikely that a very coveted guy who we don't need falls to us at 21. After Ryan the QBs have a pretty big dropoff. Brohm is 2nd but even if he did fall to where we are I don't think he is enough of a prospect to warrant a team giving up that much for him. Flacco has the skills but never played against top talent and ran an offense that was pretty much exclusively spread shotgun so he is a project. Henne is a statue in the pocket and has choked in so many big games that you'd think he was on the take. Ryan and Brohm are the only two QBs who I think will be 1st rounders.

Teams to watch on trading up for our #21 is Atlanta and Miami. If Alberts is still available when we pick I don't think we will trade our pick. If he is gone, I think we will definitely trade down. Just my thoughts.

Nobody thought that JP Losman would warrant a trade up, but the Bills fell in love with him and pulled the trigger.

We give them the #21 pick and get

a #16 next year and a 3rd next year and a 3rd this year and you are saying we lose???

I think it is a pretty safe bet to say they will get a pick lower then #21 next year, so we will get a higher pick next year...plus 2 extra picks.

How do we lose?

Archived