Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers unhealthy/ unreliable?

rumplestilskin

I don't want to stir up too much outrage but I heard on roto world that some people from the organization feel that Carlos COULD start the year on the PUP list. The question and my opinion is this. With a serious injury like that should we make sure we have insurance by drafting a corner at #21 because the article states a fact that if springs or smoot got hurt we would be scratching at corner (which is also a no-brainer). My opinion is that Carlos can cover but sometimes looks lost and has hands of stone. He couln't catch a cold in a hospital. When you think of the Redskins one of the first things that comes to mind is solid cornerback play. I think they are all solid but Springs is getting older (and I think he is a top tier corner), gotta love Smoot but is he money? Where is the next Champ Bailey or Green. People give Jason Campbell crap for not developmg and progressing fast. What about Carlos? I realize the injury was not his fault. But did you all have faith before it happened?

Carlos Rogers was playing much better in 2007 than his slumping sophomore campaign in 2006. Rogers is a sound tackler and can get physical with bigger WRs, which is important in our division (TO, Burress). Now, he did drop like 7 or 8 interceptions in 2006, and had to juggle 2-3 times the only one he caught against the Saints, but really he didn't play that bad.

Rogers rarely gives up the deep ball. A lot of people have criticized him about the 'cushion', but as we came to learn, that was primarily Gregg Williams' decision to keep everything in front of the defense. While he hasn't lived up to his draft status as a top-10 pick like Champ Bailey, he's been a solid corner for us who gets too much hate from most fans.

A reason he's dropped so many potential INTs is that he gets in good position to make a play, of course for whatever reason he has one of the worst hands. He still managed to have 24 passes broken up in 22 games since 2006. Those are good numbers.

If not for his injury, I wouldn't really be that worried about the CB position. The points you bring up are definitely valid. We have a lot of ? now at that position, after we thought we had solidified the secondary last offseason.

Definitely CB is one of our needs to upgrade depth and is one of the positions we can go BPA in any round of the draft. I would rate OL, DL, and getting one possession WR as more important, but if a talent like Talib slips to 21 and guys like Albert and Harvey aren't available, I hope we snatch him up. Also, there should be a few CBs that slip to our spot (or in other rounds) that could be great values for us.

I'd say that we have to draft a high-round CB either way. Springs is 33 or 34, isn't he? He's only going to be able to play for so long, especially seeing as he has durability issues of his own. It's a shame 'Los got hurt when he did, because I was seeing signs of improvement.

Carlos Rogers was playing much better in 2007 than his slumping sophomore campaign in 2006. Rogers is a sound tackler and can get physical with bigger WRs, which is important in our division (TO, Burress). Now, he did drop like 7 or 8 interceptions in 2006, and had to juggle 2-3 times the only one he caught against the Saints, but really he didn't play that bad.

Rogers rarely gives up the deep ball. A lot of people have criticized him about the 'cushion', but as we came to learn, that was primarily Gregg Williams' decision to keep everything in front of the defense. While he hasn't lived up to his draft status as a top-10 pick like Champ Bailey, he's been a solid corner for us who gets too much hate from most fans.

A reason he's dropped so many potential INTs is that he gets in good position to make a play, of course for whatever reason he has one of the worst hands. He still managed to have 24 passes broken up in 22 games since 2006. Those are good numbers.

If not for his injury, I wouldn't really be that worried about the CB position. The points you bring up are definitely valid. We have a lot of ? now at that position, after we thought we had solidified the secondary last offseason.

Definitely CB is one of our needs to upgrade depth and is one of the positions we can go BPA in any round of the draft. I would rate OL, DL, and getting one possession WR as more important, but if a talent like Talib slips to 21 and guys like Albert and Harvey aren't available, I hope we snatch him up. Also, there should be a few CBs that slip to our spot (or in other rounds) that could be great values for us.

Quoted for truth.

Carlos will probably never be the same, however, going forward. I would spend a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round on a cb to help with depth and in case there is a future need. You could argue to spend a 1st rounder, but I think that's jumping the gun imo

I don't know...if Kevin Everett can come back to walk from being paralyzed from the waist down...

Just a thought - but I think that the fact that Carlos is so young could be the one thing that saves his career. Since there's a possibility that he could come back this year and play for us, I wouldn't give up on his career just yet.

But draft a guy. If DRC falls to us in the first round, I'd take him over any receivers. Chances are, any WR that was good enough for us to take #21 will be taken before #21 - same with DEs.

I don't know...if Kevin Everett can come back to walk from being paralyzed from the waist down...

Just a thought - but I think that the fact that Carlos is so young could be the one thing that saves his career. Since there's a possibility that he could come back this year and play for us, I wouldn't give up on his career just yet.

But draft a guy. If DRC falls to us in the first round, I'd take him over any receivers. Chances are, any WR that was good enough for us to take #21 will be taken before #21 - same with DEs.

Yeah, you never know with modern rehab techniques that players go through. I'll never forget the gruesome injury with Willis McGahee. He still went in the 1st round (that by itself shows why most players want Rosenhaus as an agent), and then he was just 10 yards shy in 2006 from starting his career (playing-wise) with 4 consecutive 1,000-yd seasons.

I hope that both Rogers and McIntosh can recover well enough from their knee injuries. They were a large part of our young core of players to step up as playmakers through the future for the team.

You might as well draft a CB in the second round, then. Besides, you know that the Eagles would want to screw us by asking for more than a second rounder. Besides, there had to have been something that Lito Sheppard was doing wrong if the Eagles went through so much trouble to sign Asante Samuel. Apparently, to them, Lito Sheppard's no longer starting material...so why would he be for us?

Carlos was a 9th pick overall and for more than 2 years showed us enough to know we were getting a decent, but unspectacular cornerback. He regularly made mistakes that if they didn't cost us the game, didn't put us in position to win any games either. We need him to get healthy, but we shouldn't count on him... Ever... This year, our starters will be Springs and Smoot again. We need another nickle (who can start if required).

As far as I am concerned, Carlos deserves the heat he gets on this board. First off, we trade a couple of draft picks to get him. He was a top 10 first round pick, and has yet to deliver.

He has a number of flaws...

1. He does get beat on the deep ball.

2. He doesn't have speed to go sideline to sideline like Darrell Green.

3. He has the worst hands - and, misses catching interceptions that can change the outcome of a game!

4. The cushion he gives is way too much. And, has yet to demonstrate his bump the WR and keep up with him skills.

Now, here's a guy who was supposed to replace Champ! Yeah right!

Time to get a true shut down corner!!

As far as I am concerned, Carlos deserves the heat he gets on this board. First off, we trade a couple of draft picks to get him. He was a top 10 first round pick, and has yet to deliver.

3. He has the worst hands - and, misses catching interceptions that can change the outcome of a game!

4. The cushion he gives is way too much. And, has yet to demonstrate his bump the WR and keep up with him skills.

You must not get to good of reception out there in CA. And who said he was supposed to replace Champ?

:doh:

We didn't trade a single draft pick for Rogers. If you're going to pop off on a player at least get your facts straight.

On your points...

1. I don't recall him getting beat too much on the deep ball. In fact, the only time I really remember the skins getting beat is in that damn cover 2 over and over.

2. Comparing any corner to Darrell Green, in any way is unfair to that corner. DGreen is a hall of famer. 'nuff said

3. He has bad hands, thats why he's a corner. I'm not apologizing for the guy, because he needs to work on them... But you can't expect Los to have great hands.

4. The cushion was on Gregg. Los is actually better in the press imo

Again, you have too high expectations for a 3rd year corner. You can't ask anyone to replace a pro bowler like Champ right out of the gates. The days of corners coming out of college and dominating is over.

Los Rogers was lost on the season on a freak injury. How that makes him injury prone is a mystery to me. We've spent three top ten picks on corners over the past few years, picking corner again at No. 21 would be ludicrous.

Which three CBs? we have had 3 DBs in the last 4 drafts but two were safeties and one of those is gone . (RIP)

Archived