Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Rules - Defer Coin flip, no 5-yard face mask

Dan T.

Interesting new rules adopted by the owners.

In addition to the no force out rule on pass receptions (see http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243343 ) :

-Teams can now decide to "defer" on the coin flip, as in college. Before, the team winning the coin flip could only choose to kick or receive, or pick a goal to defend. Now they can defer, making the other team choose in the first half and reserving the right to decide opening the second half.

-There will no longer be a 5-yard facemask penalty, only the 15-yarder. (What's not clear is if ALL instances of grabbing the facemask will be 15 yarders, or if minor grabbing will now go uncalled.)

- Field goals that hit the goal post can now be reviewed by instant replay. (The "Phil Dawson" rule.)

- A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start. (I didn't know that!)

None will impact the game as much as the no force-out rule, IMO, but interesting nonetheless. . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

can someone explain the coin flip rule more? Im confused.

Now a team can make the other team choose what to do in the first half, and reserve their choice for the start of the second half.

Some, including me, think it's better to start out on defense to start the game, and to get the ball at the start of the second half. Now, with the "defer" option, a team that wins the toss can do that.

alright.

let me ask, can a team receive in both halves first, or is it just the 2nd team gets to choose what they want to do in the 1st half and then do the opposite in the 2nd?

If a team chooses to defer, they then decide what they want to do in the second half, regardless of what the other team decides in the first half.

So, conceivably a team could actually receive in both halves:

The Skins win the toss to open the game. They choose "defer". Now the Giants must decide whether to kick off or receive to start the game. They choose to kick off. Second half, Skins still get to make their choice. They decide to receive.

alright.

let me ask, can a team receive in both halves first, or is it just the 2nd team gets to choose what they want to do in the 1st half and then do the opposite in the 2nd?

Pretty sure that the 2nd team chooses what to do and then they do the opposite in the second half.

- A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start. (I didn't know that!)

Really? That doesn't sound right...

The great thing about the new coin toss rule is that there is actually a choice for the winner now. It used to be that there was a disadvantage in choosing to kick in the first half because the other team would choose to receive in the second (thus giving one team an extra possession).

with the rule change....you can expect more teams to 'defer' using the assumption that the other team isn't dumb enough to give you the ball an extra time (unless you've got a bears-like defense in less-than-ideal weather conditions).

Pretty sure that the 2nd team chooses what to do and then they do the opposite in the second half.

No, that's not correct. Defer means you get to decide what you want to do in the second half, regardless of what the other team decides to do to start the game.

And the center fumble thing sounded odd to me too, but that's how ESPN reported it.

Some, including me, think it's better to start out on defense to start the game, and to get the ball at the start of the second half. Now, with the "defer" option, a team that wins the toss can do that.

Hmmm...I'm not sure why you would need to defer if you want the ball at the start of the second half. If you win the coin toss and elect to kick to start the game, you automatically receive the ball at the start of the second half.

Once in a while teams do elect to kick to start a game, even under the existing rules.

Hmmm...I'm not sure why you would need to defer if you want the ball at the start of the second half. If you win the coin toss and elect to kick to start the game, you automatically receive the ball at the start of the second half.

Once in a while teams do elect to kick to start a game, even under the existing rules.

Incorrect. If you choose to kick off to start the game, the other team gets to choose to start the second half. So they could choose to receive, regardless of what happened to start the game.

alright.

sorta off the topic....but to the point of the deferring issue.

....my greatest memory of any football game ever, was Fredrick Douglass vs Roosevelt a few years ago. Maybe 1-2 years after Shawne left.....We (Douglass) * i was coaching the wrestling team at the time* were playing @ Roosevelt and it was a windy day.........They (Roosevelt) chose to defer to Douglass and Douglass chose to recieve......with a 14 point lead at halftime (i think.....either way Douglass was winning) Douglass was set to kick off....but instead, Roosevelts coach told his captain to pick field direction and go with the wind...giving Douglass the ball. Sounds really stupid.....doesnt it? Well...Defensive coordinator/special teams coach for Douglass was hot....pulled his return team together and really hyped them up about "they disrespected us", and "they feel they can stop us".....all good stuff....

Well Roosevelt kicked and Douglass ran the kick back for a TD and went on to a huge win. I was on the sideline for the game, and was just perplexed with the decision, and no one really could understand why they chose to Kick off instead of recieve....But........It was a great GREAT football moment, and a big win for Douglass!

sorta off the topic....but to the point of the deferring issue.

Douglass was set to kick off....but instead, Roosevelts coach told his captain to pick field direction and go with the wind...giving Douglass the ball.

Actually in the NFL teams can also choose which goal to defend instead of whether to kick off or receive. I don't think I've ever seen that done before, though.

Here's a link to the rule - as it was BEFORE the recent change adding defer as an option:

http://www.nflteamhistory.com/nfl_rules/coin_toss.html

Not a fan of taking away the 5 yard facemask. Sometimes you dont know what you are grabbing for and if you let go right away without turning his head or alternating his direction/speed of run then you shouldnt be given a major foul.

I'm not sure whether they'll call EVERYTHING a 15 yard penalty, or whether they'll just let stuff slide that used to be a 5 yard penalty. It wasn't clear from the ESPN blurb I read.

If they're going to penalize everything as a 15-yarder, I agree with you.

Incorrect. If you choose to kick off to start the game, the other team gets to choose to start the second half. So they could choose to receive, regardless of what happened to start the game.

I don't think so. When the winner of the coin toss defers they give the opposing team the choice to kick or receive at that moment. If the opposition chooses to receive then the team that won the toss would receive in the 2nd half

Not a fan of taking away the 5 yard facemask. Sometimes you dont know what you are grabbing for and if you let go right away without turning his head or alternating his direction/speed of run then you shouldnt be given a major foul.

Yeah I actually liked this rule as well. There seemed to be times when it was pretty clear that the guy barely grabbed the mask at all. Shouldn't require a 15 yarder for all of those.

Yeah I actually liked this rule as well. There seemed to be times when it was pretty clear that the guy barely grabbed the mask at all. Shouldn't require a 15 yarder for all of those.

That's not what it's doing. Only the major (twisting grabbing) is called. Incidental = no penalty.

That's not what it's doing. Only the major (twisting grabbing) is called. Incidental = no penalty.

aaaaahhh..well I dont know then.

On the one hand I like that because it isnt intentional.

But on the other hand it is still done.

So I am going to give my big fat "ionno" endorsement here!!

I don't think so. When the winner of the coin toss defers they give the opposing team the choice to kick or receive at that moment. If the opposition chooses to receive then the team that won the toss would receive in the 2nd half

Wrong. I guarantee you that's wrong. A team that defers in the first half gets to choose in the second half. Guaranteed.

Doesn't make any sense. We won the toss, but we want you to win the toss, here you go, decide whether we should receiver or not.

Why would you ever do it? Obviously you'd want to kick if you deferred that way, so they'd just make you receive. What kind of reward is that for winning the toss?

Wrong. I guarantee you that's wrong. A team that defers in the first half gets to choose in the second half. Guaranteed.

If that's the case then I'm never going to be able to get used to it. That's going to cause all sorts of problems and I don't think there was anything wrong with the coin toss before.

I agree. 15 yards is a HUGE penalty for an accident!

Archived