Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC cutting away to Republican Convention

jrfriedm

Yawn, how ****ing stupid can NBC be? Dissing a football game for a damn convention? Conventions don't even mean nothing. We don't need all the drawn out speeches. Just tell us who the party chooses and move on. It should be a blip at the bottom of the screen, nothing more.

Having said that, thank God I have NFL Network. :D

Yawn, how ****ing stupid can NBC be? Dissing a football game for a damn convention? Conventions don't even mean nothing. We don't need all the drawn out speeches. Just tell us who the party chooses and move on. It should be a blip at the bottom of the screen, nothing more.

Having said that, thank God I have NFL Network. :D

As of right now, the NFL Network isn't going to be showing the game, so it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

If they show Obama's acceptance speech, they have to show McCains, assuming they want to stay on the air. There is a near 100% chance they will cut to McCain at 9:30. (8:30 in Minneapolis)

Mccain will not be speaking until at least 9:30pm and probably 10pm eastern. The acceptance speech is the last thing they do.

My guess is that the game will air uninterrupted, but even if the convention did take over on the air, I don't see why some people are getting so worked up over it. Yes, it would be frustrating and disappointing, but come on . . . it's one freaking football game. And if anything relatively important (meaning truely important to the football world) happened in those minutes, well, there will be almost unlimited opportunities to see it again on ESPN, nfl.com, etc.

Maybe my perception is skewed because I've never been able to watch many of our games on TV, but I just don't see why people are making such a fuss. I know it would be disappointing . . . but boycotting a network because it chooses to broadcast an event that holds national interest and symbolizes a potential future for our nation over a sporting event that may or may not end up being important even in the sport's own context . . . well, that seems a little absurd to me.:2cents:

My guess is that the game will air uninterrupted, but even if the convention did take over on the air, I don't see why some people are getting so worked up over it. Yes, it would be frustrating and disappointing, but come on . . . it's one freaking football game. And if anything relatively important (meaning truely important to the football world) happened in those minutes, well, there will be almost unlimited opportunities to see it again on ESPN, nfl.com, etc.

Maybe my perception is skewed because I've never been able to watch many of our games on TV, but I just don't see why people are making such a fuss. I know it would be disappointing . . . but boycotting a network because it chooses to broadcast an event that holds national interest and symbolizes a potential future for our nation over a sporting event that may or may not end up being important even in the sport's own context . . . well, that seems a little absurd to me.:2cents:

I don't have a problem with people who'd rather watch the Republican (or Democratic) National Conventions than an NFL game. However, the conventions are broadcast on all major networks (NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS), plus the 24/7 news networks: CNN, Fox News, MSNBC. If anyone wants to watch the convention, they can switch channels. Meanwhile, the Redskins game would only be on NBC, meaning a change in coverage prevents people nationally from watching the game.

I don't have a problem with people who'd rather watch the Republican (or Democratic) National Conventions than an NFL game. However, the conventions are broadcast on all major networks (NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS), plus the 24/7 news networks: CNN, Fox News, MSNBC. If anyone wants to watch the convention, they can switch channels. Meanwhile, the Redskins game would only be on NBC, meaning a change in coverage prevents people nationally from watching the game.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense, from the view point of fans or the network. But I just don't see any reason to get really worked up over it.

As of right now, the NFL Network isn't going to be showing the game, so it doesn't matter if you have it or not.
And as of right now, the 2008 schedule of NFL Network games has not been released.

Please, if anyone has any sense at all, do not listen to a word this guy says about this topic. He is trying to hype up this issue in order to get attention. Everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- will get to see this game. I've already explained why and I'm glad to see most people aren't buying into this guy's silliness.

Can't wait to watch the game -- on TV -- in it's entirety! GO 'SKINS!

5.1 Million people watched the Republican National Convention on NBC in 2004.

17.8 Million people watched the Saints-Colts NFL 2007 Season Opener on NBC in 2007.

The point being stated here is that NBC is REQUIRED to give equal time to both conventions, and if memory serves me correctly, they must televise the same portions. Can't televise the caterers setting up the donuts & coffee for an hour.

Also, while you are probably correct about the 5.1 mil vs 17.8 mil, the conventions as a whole get HUGE ratings. The first night for for the Dem convention had 21.5mil (total ) viewers, and the GOP's had 19.3mil.

Count on McCain delaying his speech and there will definitely be cutaways during tv-timeouts, halftime and maybe even PIP. As to whether they quit televising the game, that remains to be seen.

NFL screwed up on this one, IMO, as I truly believe the ratings for the game will be much lower than previous years.

And as of right now, the 2008 schedule of NFL Network games has not been released.

Please, if anyone has any sense at all, do not listen to a word this guy says about this topic. He is trying to hype up this issue in order to get attention. Everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- will get to see this game. I've already explained why and I'm glad to see most people aren't buying into this guy's silliness.

Can't wait to watch the game -- on TV -- in it's entirety! GO 'SKINS!

And we are all sitting here waiting for you to tell everbody what exactly you do for a TV station. Trash man, security? Exactly you do nothing.

:finger:

I'm doing nothing but talking about a possable situation that may or may not happen. A situation that even Larry and Bram (I know they are both idiots) both said is probably going to happen. You my friend are the one people ARE NOT listening to.

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Jesus, calm down people. I will put a million bucks on every down of Skins/Giants being on national television, no cuts. Any takers? Seriously...

If I thought that you actually had a million dollars I might consider taking you up on this bet.

You must not be a very big fan.

In all seriousness, let me say something once again. Local markets are REQUIRED to show all home team games in their entirety, unless they are blacked out due to low attendance. So once again, the entire games will be shown on a local channel available by antenna to the entire New York City (largest) and Washington, D.C. (8th largest) television markets, for sure.

For markets outside of these, the game will be available in full on a cable channel if NBC cuts away during the action. It will likely be NFL Network. For JRFriedM to claim "it is not scheduled to be on the NFL Network" is laughable, since that schedule has not been released yet. Since NBC has the rights to the game, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be simulcast on CNBC too, which is the logical choice since MSNBC will be covering the convention.

The bottom line is that the NFL would never have scheduled a game like this if it didn't have a concrete plan to work out with the network. For this guy to start a thread like this, trying to scare people into thinking they'll be forced to watch our first game on a score ticker, is simply ridiculous. If you live in New York, New Jersey, Washington, Northern Virginia, or Maryland, you will see the game in full on a local channel. If you live outside these regions, it will be simulcast for you on a cable network if NBC is forced to cut away for McCain's speech.

Those are the facts, and they are undisputed. Don't give this guy any more attention by debating his claims - he is just looking to feed his ego.

In all seriousness, let me say something once again. Local markets are REQUIRED to show all home team games in their entirety, unless they are blacked out due to low attendance. So once again, the entire games will be shown on a local channel available by antenna to the entire New York City (largest) and Washington, D.C. (8th largest) television markets, for sure.

For markets outside of these, the game will be available in full on a cable channel if NBC cuts away during the action. It will likely be NFL Network. For JRFriedM to claim "it is not scheduled to be on the NFL Network" is laughable, since that schedule has not been released yet. Since NBC has the rights to the game, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be simulcast on CNBC too, which is the logical choice since MSNBC will be covering the convention.

The bottom line is that the NFL would never have scheduled a game like this if it didn't have a concrete plan to work out with the network. For this guy to start a thread like this, trying to scare people into thinking they'll be forced to watch our first game on a score ticker, is simply ridiculous. If you live in New York, New Jersey, Washington, Northern Virginia, or Maryland, you will see the game in full on a local channel. If you live outside these regions, it will be simulcast for you on a cable network if NBC is forced to cut away for McCain's speech.

Those are the facts, and they are undisputed. Don't give this guy any more attention by debating his claims - he is just looking to feed his ego.

When you tell everbody what TV station you work for and what you do, that's when you will be taken seriously, until then :ciao: :nana: :loser:

You must not be a very big fan.

I think that, if anything, being willing and able to follow the team almost religiously without the benefit of regular TV access makes you more of a fan, not less of one. That's not to say that I don't think being able to see it on TV would be enjoyable; I just don't think it's an essential component of being a fan.

Again, I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be disappointing; I'm just able to recognize that, in the grand scheme of things, this game probably won't be that important to anybody's life. That doesn't mean that it won't have some importance to me; it just means that I'm capable of looking beyond my own interests. Most of the country -- or even the world -- has more at stake in the presidential election than it does in a football game. So if a network chooses to broadcast something related to the election over a football game, I don't think it's worth freaking out over, especially considering FCC regulations.

Now I can understand some frustration being directed at the league, for putting a game on that night. But, as other people have noted, the schedule isn't finalized. So I just don't see any reason to get worked up about it when we're still in April.

I think that, if anything, being willing and able to follow the team almost religiously without the benefit of regular TV access makes you more of a fan. That's not to say that I don't think being able to see it on TV would be enjoyable; I just don't think it's an essential component of being a fan.

Again, I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be disappointing; I'm just able to recognize that, in the grand scheme of things, this game probably won't be that important anybody's life. That doesn't mean that it won't have some importance to me; it just means that I'm capable of looking beyond my own interests.

I am fortunate enough that I live in an area, outside of D.C., that does show every Redskin game. I almost can not fathom not being able to watch the game. I think that I would have to get DirecTV so I could make sure that I did see every game. To me, missing a single play is like f'n torture. And I will not allow it to happen.

Archived