Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC cutting away to Republican Convention

jrfriedm

While watching Redskins Radio yesterday, Larry and Bram started discussing (between Bram's constant interruptions of talking about Bramilton VA.) about the possibility that NBC cutting away from the WSH @ NYG game to cover the Republican Convention.

Personally, I think that this is a joke and it better not happen. I would be so very mad if such a thing does happen.

I just want to know what the rest of you think of this, and weather or not you think that it may actually happen.

I think every other channel will be showing the convention so it's not like people who want to watch won't have a way to do it. Besides, They would probably have more viewers wanting to watch the game anyway.

If they cut away from the game I will boycott NBC.

I don't know if it is a joke or not, but I seriously doubt they would do it because of the backlash they would recieve from every fan of the NFL.

They won't do it because of sponsors, ratings, money, there is every reason why they wouldn't do it, and no reasons they would.

Very few people are going to watch the republican national convention and lots of people will watch the Skins/Gnats game.

Not happening

The game is already starting early at 7pm. What time is the convention suppose to start? If NBC cant hold their agreement to broadcast the first game of the season, the NFL knows other stations would gladly pick it up. How many ratings points does NBC expect to pick up with the convention. A typical NFL game during the 4pm slot on FOX last year picked up a 22.5 mil share.

The game is already starting early at 7pm. What time is the convention suppose to start? If NBC cant hold their agreement to broadcast the first game of the season, the NFL knows other stations would gladly pick it up. How many ratings points does NBC expect to pick up with the convention. A typical NFL game during the 4pm slot on FOX last year picked up a 22.5 mil share.

The convention is scheduled to begin at 8:00 and the speech will probably be at around 8-8:30.

Guys, can you please stop this silly banter? There is NO CHANCE that the full game won't be available to the Washington and New York TV markets. And it will likely be simulcasted on the NFL Network in the markets where NBC plans to cut away. By the way, an 8:30 speech by McCain would occur just around halftime. There is nothing to worry about!

Guys, can you please stop this silly banter? There is NO CHANCE that the full game won't be available to the Washington and New York TV markets. And it will likely be simulcasted on the NFL Network in the markets where NBC plans to cut away. By the way, an 8:30 speech by McCain would occur just around halftime. There is nothing to worry about!

Problem is, not all of us life in the WSH or NY tv markets. :doh:

And it is a very big deal.

probably on CNBC nationally and maybe channel 20 in DC.

8:30 Central. And it will probably go 45 minutes.

They should just move the game to Friday night that week IMO.

I agree. If there going to be a problem about showing the ENTIRE game, either NBC should allow the NFL Network to carry the game, or the game should be moved to Friday or Saturday. It's not like the schedules have been released yet anyways, and there is still plenty of time.

I don't know if it is a joke or not, but I seriously doubt they would do it because of the backlash they would recieve from every fan of the NFL.

They won't do it because of sponsors, ratings, money, there is every reason why they wouldn't do it, and no reasons they would.

Very few people are going to watch the republican national convention and lots of people will watch the Skins/Gnats game.

Not happening

There are a lot of reasons why they will do it.

They aren't going to loose money, they've already paid the NFL to show the game, it's not the NFL is paying them to show the game. Secondly, sponsors are still going to pay to have their ads run during the game, as well as, those that will want their ads run during the Convention and reach a larger audience that other stations won't get because so many football fans will be watching waiting for the game to come back on.

If they do this it will be the highest rating Republican Convention ever due to the fact that every political person as well as every sports fan will be watching.

These are just a couple of reasons why NBC might cut away; I don't know if they will and I hope that they don't, they are all very real and conceivable.

The convention is scheduled to begin at 8:00 and the speech will probably be at around 8-8:30.

The speech will probably be around 10:15 EDT so as to maximize viewers from the east and west coasts. They will not start the speech before the west coasters are home from work. So there will probably no overlap, but if there is NBC does not want another "Heidi" so will either direct speech viewers to MSNBC or CNBC or, at worst, switch the end of the game to one of those cable outlets. But they will most likely stay with the game on regular NBC for all sorts of contractual reasons.

Why not move the convention to Friday night instead. Redskins are way more important than some politicians trying to duke it out. Only to raise our taxes anyways.:doh:

The convention has been scheduled for that date for over 1 and 1/2 now. The NFL could've scheduled around this, but choose not too.

Sigh. You guys just don't get it. There is no way in hell that you won't get to see this game in its entirety. I work in television and know how the system works, but I know that doesn't mean anything on this almighty message board. Choose to believe what you'd like, but know that this conversation is meaningless and that you will see the full game in September, no matter what.

Problem is, not all of us life in the WSH or NY tv markets. :doh:

And it is a very big deal.

exactly. how many other channels will be showing the convention? so NBC doesnt need to cut away. and if they do, it should only be for halftime then come back when the 3rd kicks off.

Sigh. You guys just don't get it. There is no way in hell that you won't get to see this game in its entirety. I work in television and know how the system works, but I know that doesn't mean anything on this almighty message board. Choose to believe what you'd like, but know that this conversation is meaningless and that you will see the full game in September, no matter what.

what kind of television do you work in? tbs? cnn?

Dude, your point is not lost on everyone. Some of us get it.

It's not exactly competing demographics.

Wow, someone needs to get off their high horse.

Shall we bow to you now, or is kneeling preferred. :notworthy

If you dont like the message board or whats on it, leave.

If you dont like the post, dont friggin read it.

I will remember to check with you before I start a conversation from now on, just to check and see if it's meaningful in your eyes. After all, your the only one who matters. :laugh:

Archived