Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC cutting away to Republican Convention

jrfriedm

As of right now, the NFL Network isn't going to be showing the game, so it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

You're right, don't know what I was thinking. Regardless, if this happens, gurantee they show it on one of the local network stations like they do for games broadcasted on NFL Network.

You're right, don't know what I was thinking. Regardless, if this happens, gurantee they show it on one of the local network stations like they do for games broadcasted on NFL Network.

I'm sure that if the one of the other local Networks will pick up the game weather or not the NFL Network picks it up or not. My concern is that while I live in an area that does show all the Redskins games, it is an area outside of the D.C. area. I don't think that the local Hampton Roads Networks will pick up the game like they will do in D.C. and NY.

I really don't know if this is going to happen or not. I've never said one way or the other, but I do think that it is a possibility and that it is something that we should all be aware of.

On the contrary, the NFL has been starting their season on this particular Thursday for longer than this convention has been scheduled. The Republicans are the ones who chose to screw this up.

Sorry to burst your bubble of ignorance, but this is the first year that the NFL has had its opener on the FIRST Thursday in Sepetember, something the Republicans have done with their Presidental conventions for a few decades. Usually, the NFL starts on the SECOND Thursday of September, so it is the NFL that caused the scheduling conflict here.

It's funny how some NFL fans think some silly quasi-tradition started all of 3 years ago would take precedent over national party conventions, which have been a part of American politics for over 150 years.

That being said, the NFL would NEVER have scheduled this game without a plan, and they have one. Nothing at all for anyone to worry about, you will see the game in full.

In all seriousness, let me say something once again. Local markets are REQUIRED to show all home team games in their entirety, unless they are blacked out due to low attendance. So once again, the entire games will be shown on a local channel available by antenna to the entire New York City (largest) and Washington, D.C. (8th largest) television markets, for sure.

For markets outside of these, the game will be available in full on a cable channel if NBC cuts away during the action. It will likely be NFL Network. For JRFriedM to claim "it is not scheduled to be on the NFL Network" is laughable, since that schedule has not been released yet. Since NBC has the rights to the game, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be simulcast on CNBC too, which is the logical choice since MSNBC will be covering the convention.

The bottom line is that the NFL would never have scheduled a game like this if it didn't have a concrete plan to work out with the network. For this guy to start a thread like this, trying to scare people into thinking they'll be forced to watch our first game on a score ticker, is simply ridiculous. If you live in New York, New Jersey, Washington, Northern Virginia, or Maryland, you will see the game in full on a local channel. If you live outside these regions, it will be simulcast for you on a cable network if NBC is forced to cut away for McCain's speech.

Those are the facts, and they are undisputed. Don't give this guy any more attention by debating his claims - he is just looking to feed his ego.

I'm not sure what country you live in or what school you obviously were kicked out of, but in the US the Federal Government out-weighs local television markets. It is a Federal Law, mandated by Federal tax dollars, that EVERY major network and their affiliates broadcast equal coverage of both the Democratic and Republican conventions. Someone who supposedly works in television would know that.

I graduated from a university you've definitely heard of with a degree in journalism. Clearly you are not much of a student, because you did not read the very post you quoted. In it, I said:

"For markets outside of these, the game will be available in full on a cable channel if NBC cuts away during the action. It will likely be NFL Network. For JRFriedM to claim "it is not scheduled to be on the NFL Network" is laughable, since that schedule has not been released yet. Since NBC has the rights to the game, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be simulcast on CNBC too, which is the logical choice since MSNBC will be covering the convention."

For the New York and D.C. markets, the game will be simulcast on one of the local affiliates not required to cover the convention. All Redskins games must be available at all times on an antenna-based network in the D.C. TV market, so a deal will be worked out by the NFL. Why is that so hard to understand?

I graduated from a university you've definitely heard of with a degree in journalism. Clearly you are not much of a student, because you did not read the very post you quoted. In it, I said:

"For markets outside of these, the game will be available in full on a cable channel if NBC cuts away during the action. It will likely be NFL Network. For JRFriedM to claim "it is not scheduled to be on the NFL Network" is laughable, since that schedule has not been released yet. Since NBC has the rights to the game, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be simulcast on CNBC too, which is the logical choice since MSNBC will be covering the convention."

For the New York and D.C. markets, the game will be simulcast on one of the local affiliates not required to cover the convention. All Redskins games must be available at all times on an antenna-based network in the D.C. TV market, so a deal will be worked out by the NFL. Why is that so hard to understand?

You've actually more than proven in two threads today, one of which you started, that you have no (zero) reading comprehension skills. The idea of you being a journalism major is either laughable or extremely depressing for the state of our higher educational system.

The team schedules have nothing to do with the network schedules, other than conferences. Currently, Jrfriedm is correct because the NFL Network is not schedule to air ANY live games until the five weeks of the season. NBC is the only network scheduled and holding the rights to a live broadcast of the September 4th opener. A deal could be worked out with the NFL Network, but as of now it hasn't been.

Now, in the DC and NY areas local stations that are not affiliates of NBC, FOX, ABC, or CBS may broadcast the game, but that does nothing for the millions of fans outside of those markets who will have to watch the convention speech due to the fact that NBC and all of its affiliates in EVERY market have to show the speech because of Federal Regulations.

I'm sure it doesn't matter to you because you believe you are all knowing and that Zorn is just going to call passing plays on every down, but many of us are concerned about not being able to see all of the action.

Look I'm the guy who made the equal coverage argument, and I think Channel 4 will cut to mcCain if the game runs late, b ut it will air someone else (20 maybe) if they do. Besides, for those of who live outside of DC market--at least we'll get to see the game on cable. (CNBC is my guess.) If it were Sunday afternoon, I wouldn't get it at all.

You know what? I've said my piece and other than you, this jrfriedm clown, and one other guy, nobody else is making an issue out of this. You are choosing not to believe it because you just want to keep bantering about this issue in order to a) Get attention and B) Fill time. When everyone in the U.S. who wants to watch the game is able to see it on 9/4, I will be sure to start a new thread, quote your posts, and wait for apologies. Until then, have fun obsessing over a meaningless issue that will not affect you.

Not to mention that this would likely have ZERO impact anyway, unless the game went into overtime (below is from Hollywood Reporter):

"So, the NFL and NBC have agreed in principle to have the kickoff at 7 p.m. EDT instead of the traditional 8:30 p.m. That would mean, except in the event of an overtime, that the game would end before NBC's expected one hour of convention coverage for the night."

I wouldn't think it would happen. And I'm sure there are some kind of contractual obligations to stay with the game throughout its entirety.

You are right - the networks have a contractural obligation to show the NFL game. They can show - or not show - the Conventions at their own choosing. There is no legal compulsion (there can't be, in America) for a private company to show a government event.

That is exactly what I was thinking...NBC is still catching crap for the "Heidi Game" after all these years.

I used to work in TV the NFL would make sure NBC regreted it's decision to cut away from the opening night game if they did.

hahahahaha i never heard that story -- thanks for the bit of angry sports fan history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A13199619

after reading this story i'm sure they won't cut away.

You are right - the networks have a contractural obligation to show the NFL game. They can show - or not show - the Conventions at their own choosing. There is no legal compulsion (there can't be, in America) for a private company to show a government event.

There is when that company is recieving a tax break.

There is when that company is recieving a tax break.

No, the network isn't contractually obligated to show the convention; it's legally obligated, assuming that they want to show the Democratic one, too. And it has nothing to do with "tax breaks," but everything to do with the FCC's "Equal Time" rule:

"'Under a provision of the 1934 Communications Act, if a broadcast station provides time for one political candidate, it must do so for his or her opponents. This provision -- Section 315 of the law -- is known as the Equal Time rule. It states: 'If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any political office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station.'

"It is a simple concept, but interpretation of the Equal Time rule has evolved over the years as politics and technology have changed. It continues to evolve. In a recent interview, Robert Baker, of the political program section of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the government regulatory agency for the U.S. communications industry, said that 'the three principal components of the rule are a requirement that if broadcasters sell time to political candidates they must treat them all equally, allow them to purchase time at favorable rates and not attempt to censor the content of their ads.'"

Of course, that's not to say that the league won't work out a deal with another station between now and then.

No, the network isn't contractually obligated to show the convention; it's legally obligated, assuming that they want to show the Democratic one, too. And it has nothing to do with "tax breaks," but everything to do with the FCC's "Equal Time" rule:

"'Under a provision of the 1934 Communications Act, if a broadcast station provides time for one political candidate, it must do so for his or her opponents. This provision -- Section 315 of the law -- is known as the Equal Time rule. It states: 'If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any political office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station.'

"It is a simple concept, but interpretation of the Equal Time rule has evolved over the years as politics and technology have changed. It continues to evolve. In a recent interview, Robert Baker, of the political program section of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the government regulatory agency for the U.S. communications industry, said that 'the three principal components of the rule are a requirement that if broadcasters sell time to political candidates they must treat them all equally, allow them to purchase time at favorable rates and not attempt to censor the content of their ads.'"

Of course, that's not to say that the league won't work out a deal with another station between now and then.

Exactly, if they show the dems convention they HAVE to show the reps. Do you really think they NBC isn't going to show the Democratic convention?

Exactly, if they show the dems convention they HAVE to show the reps. Do you really think they NBC isn't going to show the Democratic convention?

Another poster said that NBC wasn't obligated to show the convention at all, while you said that NBC would have to show both because of "tax breaks." I was simply trying to correct you both in the same post.

I do think NBC will show the convention. I also think that the NFL will try to work out an arrangement so that the game can be shown on NFL Network, or possibly even ESPN. And I think that if the game is cut off and not shown outside local networks at all, life will go on. I thought I'd been clear about my position all along.

As a side note, would you and GibbsRedskin both please quit your little fight? I know I'm not a mod, but it's getting really obnoxious. There's no reason that the rest of us should have to read it.

This thread has went from the original poster raising a false concern in order to get attention for himself, into him openly rooting for the convention to be shown instead of the game just so he can be proven right. Sadly for him, neither scenario will come even close to playing out in the real world.

I do think NBC will show the convention. I also think that the NFL will try to work out an arrangement so that the game can be shown on NFL Network, or possibly even ESPN.

Remember, this won't even matter unless the game goes into overtime. NBC will not break away from the game until McCain speaks, which has been stated in numerous articles, so a regular 60-minute game would have time to be shown in its entirety.

If the game goes into overtime, of COURSE the NFL and NBC will have a perfect, logical contigency plan drawn up. It's being worked on as we speak, in fact.

This thread has went from the original poster raising a false concern in order to get attention for himself, into him openly rooting for the convention to be shown instead of the game just so he can be proven right. Sadly for him, neither scenario will come even close to playing out in the real world.

This just shows how unintelligent you are.

If anybody here is trying to get attention, it is most definitely you.

Remember, this won't even matter unless the game goes into overtime. NBC will not break away from the game until McCain speaks, which has been stated in numerous articles, so a regular 60-minute game would have time to be shown in its entirety.

If the game goes into overtime, of COURSE the NFL and NBC will have a perfect, logical contigency plan drawn up. It's being worked on as we speak, in fact.

And you know this how?

Problem is, not all of us life in the WSH or NY tv markets. :doh:

And it is a very big deal.

I am one of these people and after seeing how the NFL dealt last year with half of its fans not being able to see the stupid last game the Pat's played I believe if that is going to happen they will have a plan in place. Don't worry about it

Archived